BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 19" Wheels without Run-Flats?

12-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
LSU Tiger Wes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i (F48)

19" Wheels without Run-Flats?

Looking at purchasing an X1 with 19" wheels. Would like to get it without run-flats. Does anyone know if it can be ordered without?

Dealer was unable to confirm for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Unfortunately, according to the ordering guide, both the 19" wheel options (style 511 and 572) require option code 258 (Run flat tires).

Just like you, I also wanted to order 19's without run flats. Decided to go with performance run flats as well as the spare tire option, and will switch over to non-runflats after the original run flats are mostly worn down.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #3
LSU Tiger Wes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i (F48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post
Unfortunately, according to the ordering guide, both the 19" wheel options (style 511 and 572) require option code 258 (Run flat tires).

Just like you, I also wanted to order 19's without run flats. Decided to go with performance run flats as well as the spare tire option, and will switch over to non-runflats after the original run flats are mostly worn down.
Thanks! Guess one could try and sell the run flats, but that seems like a pain.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #4
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Wes View Post
Thanks! Guess one could try and sell the run flats, but that seems like a pain.
Here in Australia the dealers have no choice but to supply the car with runflats (basically for no other reason than it then gives them the opportunity to sell insurance on the wheel & tyre). When we bought our F25 X3 4 years ago, arranged beforehand with a tyre retailer to swap out the OEM runflats (which were awful Goodyear Excellence crap) for conventional tyres. Straight swap of five conventional tyres (the fifth for a full size spare in the back) for four runflats. With the relative prices here in the Australia at the time, financially it was probably a win for the tyre shop but I got rid of the runflats. Ring around and see what deal you can strike.

Failing that, as ShinySteelRobot (great username) suggested, just stay with the runflats for now and switch over further down the track. I'd also still get the space saver spare - especially as the F48 X1 has the perfect under floor storage for it.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post

Same story here in Aus
The issue is that the Dealer takes responsibility if they swap the tyres (A) tires (US) , so they wont do it.
It is also a BMW directive in regards to supposedly better safety that RF tyres
be used.
The other issue is that you need to carry a repair kit or spare wheel with non RF tyres. So the dealer doesn't want to supply that either.

As mentions by the others, you may just have to switch over to non-runflats after the original run flats are mostly worn out.
Appreciate 0