BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) The new BMW X1 receives 5 stars at Euro NCAP

12-02-2015, 05:02 AM   #1
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

The new BMW X1 receives 5 stars at Euro NCAP

Video and final results: http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/bmw/x1/22021

Complete report: http://euroncap.blob.core.windows.ne...-datasheet.pdf

Great ratings for child passengers and pedestrians. But I'm not that impressed with active safety assists. From personal experience with my own car, city brake assist seems a little late even at the highest tolerance setting.

I'm looking forward to Teknikens Värld's Moose Test and real AWD test.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i M Sport

I watched a few of the NCAP videos last night, comparing the X1 to other recently tested cars. The X1 doesn't do as well as many other cars in the active Autonomous Braking test. Mercedes and Audi cars could completely avoid a collision while the X1 only mitigates a collision by slowing but still hitting the object.

I wonder if the BMW active assist system just isn't as good or is it a decision they made to give the driver greater control - ie. later intervention so as not cause unwanted sudden braking?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 02:52 AM   #3
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

They're calling it Approach Control Warning and Person Warning:
Quote:
Approach Control Warning. If the vehicle in front brakes heavily, this system will perform three steps, firstly showing a warning symbol, secondly emitting an audible warning and finally lightly applying the brakes.

Person Warning. This gives you a warning when a pedestrian is in the road ahead and pre-conditions the brakes for a faster response. In the event of an emergency, the system will actually apply the brakes.
So it looks like you're right. At best, it only lightly applies the brakes. It does however fully pump them, so the driver can apply max pressure.

Also 2 Series Active Tourer description (it uses the same system)...

Quote:
Whereas the Approach Warning with City Brake Activation detects vehicles, the Pedestrian Warning with City Brake Activation reacts to pedestrians. When there is a risk of collision, the Approach Warning triggers a two-stage warning – a symbol in the instrument cluster lights up, followed by an acoustic alarm. The Pedestrian Warning operates at speeds between 6 and 37 mph and emits a single-level warning in the event of acute danger. If the system warns of a potential collision, the brakes are simultaneously preconditioned for a faster response. In case of an emergency, the system initiates braking, ensuring that the collision speed is reduced. If a vehicle ahead brakes heavily, the car responds immediately when the Approach Warning is activated. The system operates in steps - a warning symbol is first displayed, then the symbol begins blinking and an acoustic warning is emitted, and finally the brakes are lightly applied (when travelling at speeds under 37mph).
It looks like a collusion "mitigation" system, not collusion "avoidance". That explains the high rating for what it is.
Appreciate 0