BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > New RS3- Actual Driving Experiences

11-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

New RS3- Actual Driving Experiences

Has anyone actually driven one of these things, and if so, what are your thoughts? I'm the US, so I haven't had the opportunity.

There's been some bashing of the car mainly due to a handful of idiotic reviews in my opinion, one being from Evo that claims it's slower than the Golf R. I'll bet my life savings it's faster than the Golf R and that review was just done to generate publicity and traffic, which it was successful at doing. It may need be worth the premium over the R, but it is superior to the R in every way and by no means slower.

Therefore, I wanted to get any first hand thoughts if possible. I know it's very different from the M2 but at the end of the day there will still be many who cross shop them being they are the hottest versions of entry level German sedans.

And the bespoke 5 cyclinder, so so tasty... sounds so freaking good with the sport exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
kaosHunter
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 Black 125i Coupe E82

I will give my input in about a week or two when my friend's arrives. First one here in South Africa.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
Inablur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silber Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosHunter View Post
I will give my input in about a week or two when my friend's arrives. First one here in South Africa.
Nice. Interested to find out as well. Any word on pricing?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #4
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Slower than a Golf R, my ass. C&D just tested the 6MT R. It posted slower all-around numbers than the STI which includes a 103 mph trap.

M2, RS3, and Focus RS are in the major leagues while the Golf R is in double A.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Yes, pretty dumb. S3 was faster than the Golf R in C&D's lightening lap. Therefore, I'm not sure why they'd make the RS3 slower than a S3 around a track, lol.

That aside, Audi has confirmed the RS3 is coming to the states in a sedan form. Im hoping it's sometime in 2016 before I make a final call on the M2.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 11:47 PM   #6
///Mpossible
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2
Yes, pretty dumb. S3 was faster than the Golf R in C&D's lightening lap. Therefore, I'm not sure why they'd make the RS3 slower than a S3 around a track, lol.

That aside, Audi has confirmed the RS3 is coming to the states in a sedan form. Im hoping it's sometime in 2016 before I make a final call on the M2.
Did'nt knew the RS3 sedan was confirmed, may I ask what is your source!? If true, that's an awsome news!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 03:12 AM   #7
kaosHunter
Private
South Africa
Rep

Audi South Africa actually posted on there page that its base price is R710 000. He paid 800 000 with extras
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 06:26 AM   #8
kaosHunter
Private
South Africa
Rep

Audi South Africa actually posted on there page that its base price is R710 000. He paid 800 000 with extras
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #9
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Was told by a contact I have at a local Audi dealership that it would be late 2016. (Canada).
Any sooner and I may hold off on m2 decision. Only negative thus far is no MT with RS3...unless im wrong...?

Here what he said- "The RS3 will be coming to Canada fyi...ETA is next year summer/fall- but a better timeline will be released in the new year.
The sound is out of this world on that car, even nicer than the RS7 sound."
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 07:54 AM   #10
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mpossible View Post
Did'nt knew the RS3 sedan was confirmed, may I ask what is your source!? If true, that's an awsome news!
There are several reports of the Audi of America CEO confirming it for the states. The concern is that dieselgate somehow now affects that plan. We will have to see.

I agree, it's the best sounding car in the class, and probably in the class above (M3/M4, C63 AMG, etc) as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #11
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mpossible View Post
There are several reports of the Audi of America CEO confirming it for the states. The concern is that dieselgate somehow now affects that plan. We will have to see.

I agree, it's the best sounding car in the class, and probably in the class above (M3/M4, C63 AMG, etc) as well.
sedan form though....blech....

if they brought a 5 door sportback I'd pay attention.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
sedan form though....blech....

if they brought a 5 door sportback I'd pay attention.
I agree, I'd prefer the sport back too.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 01:18 AM   #13
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 8/15 M2

A couple weeks ago to my horror, there was no food in the fridge so I decided to take a walk around the neighborhood. I noticed a happy hour sign in front of a drinking establishment I've never been to as it was after 9pm. At the same time I sensed a fairly good looking young guy in his mid-early twenties eyes glued and double fisting his smartphone approaching from the sidewalk 20 meters away. I stepped back to let him pass. He spat in front of the entrance and in front of me! I'm sure he must have seen that as uncouth.

I lost my appetite.

As I walked back home empty-handed in the relative dark, it must have been one of the most nicest silhouettes I've seen in a while. And no, it wasn't a prostitute.

Even at my age, I stopped, back peddled and looked at the 2015 S3 sedan barely shining under the light from the distant lamp post. The seats looked superior to the M2 and I don't know if it was just me but it seemed like normal sized people couldn't fit in the back.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #14
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Just put down a deposit, I am #1 on the list at my local dealer for the RS3. Can figure out if I want it when it's actually announced, but figured better safe than sorry since it's fully refundable. Very interested to see how it compares once some of the overseas folks provide some first hand insight.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #15
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Just put down a deposit, I am #1 on the list at my local dealer for the RS3. Can figure out if I want it when it's actually announced, but figured better safe than sorry since it's fully refundable. Very interested to see how it compares once some of the overseas folks provide some first hand insight.
We can only hope it comes! Audi has withheld its best for years. I really hope dieselgate doesn't screw this up.

If it does come, it will certainly be more unique than the M2. Plus you get AWD, 2 extra doors, and more technology all without the penalty of extra weight over the chubby M2.

M2 will probably still be more "engaging" though, at least on a dry track.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #16
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2 View Post
We can only hope it comes! Audi has withheld its best for years. I really hope dieselgate doesn't screw this up.

If it does come, it will certainly be more unique than the M2. Plus you get AWD, 2 extra doors, and more technology all without the penalty of extra weight over the chubby M2.

M2 will probably still be more "engaging" though, at least on a dry track.
I am in EU a week a month, tired of seeing all the really sexy stuff there that I cannot get at home!

From what I can tell the Audi will be a bit more versatile (at least for what I need), maybe more comfortable as a DD, and I'd be giving up some track day fun. But I don't really do track days, and if I do it's in the copilot seat in my buddy's GT3. All in - seems like it could be a good fit.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 12:23 AM   #17
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mpossible
Quote:

And still no M2 grand coupe'. Really amazed at how BMW has totally forgotten what the e36m3/4 was and why they finally came out with an e46zhp sedan when they didn't make an e46 four door sedan.... Talk about repeating the same mistakes .... Sheesh ..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:16 AM   #18
Inablur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silber Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosHunter View Post
Thanks. She does cost a pretty penny though.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #19
chak87
Rep
Drives: Mercedes

I test drove the rs3 a few times since I was going to buy it here in Germany. It's a very nice car with beautiful interior. The optional rs seats look awesome, the overall interior quality is way better than any bmw. The sound with the optional rs exhaust is one of the best sounds I've ever heard. It sounds like a Maserati. Seriously. It also feels very fast and the awd is awesome to get off the line.
My problem with this car is that it's just a normal hatchback. It could be any A3 from the outside. And as ambitious driver you really feel the weight and the understeer.
I was about to sign the contract though and then luckily got to see the m2 in a closed room presentation. To me it just feels more special. Interior and sound will never match but therefore it's closer to a real track car and is purer.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #20
chak87
Rep
Drives: Mercedes

Oh and the rs3 is quite a bit cheaper here in Germany than the m2
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #21
sth519
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i → M2 → i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chak87 View Post
Oh and the rs3 is quite a bit cheaper here in Germany than the m2
Depends... The M2's base price is 4000€ higher, but it comes with more stuff as standard, like satellite navigation (2490€), heated seats, etc.
However, of course the Audi does come with a dual clutch transmission and if you factor that in, the M2 is indeed quite a bit more expensive. On the other hand, you can't get the RS3 with a manual even if you want to.

I completely agree about the interior quality. This is where Audi absolutely excels. I also think the same goes for the exterior, and I don't mean the design by that: For example just look at the way the roof attaches to the side panels on an Audi compared to most other cars, including BMWs.

Personally, I think BMW did make huge steps forward in terms of interior design and quality when they went to the F-series, but they're still not even close to Audi's standards. But then, Audi doesn't even come close to BMW in terms of driving dynamics and "fun factor", and to me personally, that's what counts for these kinds of cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #22
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just wish the RS3 had the same interior interface as the TTS I drove the other day. That thing is really, really slick with everything in the instrument panel. Think it could take a little getting used to but damn it looked nice and the rest of the dash was super clean as a result.
Appreciate 0