BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 VS M3 (A therapy thread for those who can't decide)

10-19-2015, 09:21 PM   #1
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 MW/CSC/6MT/18s

M2 VS M3 (A therapy thread for those who can't decide)

Practicality and having driven the car with DCT automatically make me want the F80 in Silverstone.

The pure formula and my fun side want a F87 in manual in LBB.

I have a build slot in for the M2, but we can all get a F80 easily with good rebates.

BMW why?!

What are those in this position thinking? What are your deciding factors? Will you be using the car as a fun DD, track queen or a little bit of both? I am in the latter as it will be my commuter and auto-Xer.

This might be a but I think now that the M2 is out in the open, now is better time to discuss with those debating the four VS two.

And the M4, meh...
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

I was ready to buy an M3 right after the M2 came out. Suddenly found that the allocations had dried up and I would have to wait awhile. So now I'm back on the fence.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #3
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
I was ready to buy an M3 right after the M2 came out. Suddenly found that the allocations had dried up and I would have to wait awhile. So now I'm back on the fence.
Yeh, my lease isn't up until May so I have some time. Although I was told by my dealer today that BMW is willing to roll current leasees into a new car as early as six months. Got it but not going to jump on something that quickly.

My wife has a Subie Forrester which we both love. It's a tank and rolls over whatever you put in front of it, and the M3 was going to allow me to pull some more hauling duties if you will. However, she is totally cool with me getting what I want so long as she has color input.

I love the DCT but for some reason I will get the M2 in a stick despite the DCT being the faster transmission. M3, it's a no brainer with the DCT. Loved it at the BMW school and have it on my "is"; it's gold.

Leaning toward the M2... And despite the seats being a mute point so long as bolstering is good, I do wish they had the merged head restraint and back like the M3/4. Color is LBB; it's too aggressive to have in darker colors, as I personally, think it kills the styling and details. White would be the compromise.

What are you considering?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 11:31 PM   #4
TJS///M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 in Imola

I'm solidly on the fence myself. To me, the F80 seems ideal. I can get whatever color I want (Imola!), it has all kinds of options, it has 4 doors (its just easier with 2 kids), and it just seems like the M boys put more of their heart and soul into it without interference from the BMW bean counters. But the M2 does have that small car on steroids look to it.

My dilemma centers around 2 things:
1. I got a call from my CA telling me that although I was originally told that I was #3 on the wait list, I am officially, as of last Saturday, #1 on the list. This poses a problem since I was planning to wait to see the first cars being delivered to see what I thought of them before making a decision.

2. Color and options. I hate white; I hate black's upkeep; and I hate blah generic colors like MG (why not Donington Grey, damn you BMW). Therefore, that leaves LBB (ie. lack of color options). The interior of the M2 in black does not wow me either. I will say that the latest photos of LBB do not seem to show as much turquoise green in the color like when you see an X5M or an X6M. LBB has grown on me a little, but I really need to see it in person. I searched.. there are no X5Ms or X6Ms in a 300mi radius of me atm. Kinda Frustrating. Second, I may be in the minority, but I love my HUD on my X5. I know the M3 has the new style and the M2 has none Also frustrating. I also wanted the LED lights.. same thing- M3, yes, M2, no.

However, I think with some small modifications, the M2 will be awesome. The photoshops thread in here makes me second guess myself and an F80.
2005 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Interlagos/Cinnamon - Sold
1990 E30 M3 Brilliant Red with Natural - Sold What was I thinking?

Last edited by TJS///M3; 10-19-2015 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2015, 12:34 AM   #5
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

In the exact same dilemma here, but I have 14 months to go on my M235 lease, so I have the luxury to wait for M2 prices to normalize.

For me the step up from the M235 would be incremental while the M3 would be a different league, but ultimately cost/deals would decide it for me.

M2 would be LBB/MT
M3 would be Silverstone or MW on Shakir red / MT (no options other than 19's)
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2015, 02:23 AM   #6
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

I was on the verge of ordering an F82 when they launched last year. The dealer even lent me their demo for the day and I got as far as speccing the car up. Something in my head kept telling me I should wait to see what the M2 was like before I committed so in the end I got the M235i with a view to going one way or the other next summer.
Now we have all the specs of the M2 I still can't make my mind up. I think the size of the M2 is perfect, IMHO the 3/4 series are starting to get a bit big, I really like the M235i and know that the M2 will bee a better driving tool, but something still draws me to the M4...

I hate being indecisive..
      10-20-2015, 07:55 AM   #7
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR MFS
Quote:
Yeh, my lease isn't up until May so I have some time. Although I was told by my dealer today that BMW is willing to roll current leasees into a new car as early as six months. Got it but not going to jump on something that quickly.

My wife has a Subie Forrester which we both love. It's a tank and rolls over whatever you put in front of it, and the M3 was going to allow me to pull some more hauling duties if you will. However, she is totally cool with me getting what I want so long as she has color input.

I love the DCT but for some reason I will get the M2 in a stick despite the DCT being the faster transmission. M3, it's a no brainer with the DCT. Loved it at the BMW school and have it on my "is"; it's gold.

Leaning toward the M2... And despite the seats being a mute point so long as bolstering is good, I do wish they had the merged head restraint and back like the M3/4. Color is LBB; it's too aggressive to have in darker colors, as I personally, think it kills the styling and details. White would be the compromise.

Care to elaborate on the lease pull ahead after 6 months? Wouldn't you lose your ass on the deal even if you did ED on the car? That's the exact position I'm in right now...

I keep debating whether I want to upgrade to an M2 or M3. But on the way to work this morning driving the M235i I couldn't help but wonder why I feel the need to upgrade such an awesome car. But I still do...

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #8
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

For me, it basically comes down to pricing/availability. I do like the options you can get in the M4, and I'm also in love with YMB. While I will probably take it to the track and auto-x once in a while, I have a Miata for that, so I would see it as more of a GT car than a hardcore track monster. My dealer told me there are usually good deals and promos to be had in December, so I'm going to see how much the F82 will actually come out to, and how much my trade is worth. If I like the numbers, I'm going M4, but if not, I doubt I'll be disappointed with the M2.

2016 M4 MG 6MT, sunroof. Some audio mods, Swift springs (so far).
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Somewhat simple answer: If you want a fun/nimble car, get the M2. If you want a more practical, but powerful and tuneable car, get the M3/4.

More complicated answer:
If I didn't have a couple of M cars already, I'd be leaning towards the M2 big time. It's what BMW is good at. Nimble, fun, compact. I really do think it'll be a funner car to drive than the M3/4.

If you can, I recommend waiting until Summer 2017 if it's at all possible.
- M3/4 Competition Package will be out by then
- M2 LCI will also be out as MY17
- M2 price should be more negotiable by then

Personally, I'm most likely going to go for an MY17 F80 myself. I've already got 2 coupes so a bigger 4 door would come in handy. This could change if the M2 is that amazing, then I'll hold for LCI.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #10
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I jumped back into an e92 for a number of reasons...at least for a couple more years. F8x isn't in my sights, I still have a bead on the M2.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #11
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Somewhat simple answer: If you want a fun/nimble car, get the M2. If you want a more practical, but powerful and tuneable car, get the M3/4.

More complicated answer:
If I didn't have a couple of M cars already, I'd be leaning towards the M2 big time. It's what BMW is good at. Nimble, fun, compact. I really do think it'll be a funner car to drive than the M3/4.

Personally, I'm most likely going to go for an MY17 F80 myself. I've already got 2 coupes so a bigger 4 door would come in handy. This could change if the M2 is that amazing, then I'll hold for LCI.
I thought M2 LCI is MY 2018?

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
I jumped back into an e92 for a number of reasons...at least for a couple more years. F8x isn't in my sights, I still have a bead on the M2.
I don't think I know of anyone else that has had 3 E92's. That's awesome haha, congrats brother.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 12:02 PM   #13
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
I thought M2 LCI is MY 2018?
I'm not sure. The thread said 2018, which to me starts summer 2017 as an MY18.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #14
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
I don't think I know of anyone else that has had 3 E92's. That's awesome haha, congrats brother.
Thanks! I stopped counting, it's been a blast for sure! Who knows where I'll be with the M2 in 2-3yrs. I'll enjoy following it, I do that with just about every M car even though I'm not interested in owning most of them.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #15
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
Thanks! I stopped counting, it's been a blast for sure! Who knows where I'll be with the M2 in 2-3yrs. I'll enjoy following it, I do that with just about every M car even though I'm not interested in owning most of them.
Good. I just took mine out for a full day out on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I could never imagine life without the S65, seriously
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #16
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
I'm not sure. The thread said 2018, which to me starts summer 2017 as an MY18.
Yes,that is also the way I read it.So 2018 model year production would start in July 2017,with the first deliveries in the US and Canada arriving in September 2017.That is still 2 years from now,which is probably to long for most people to wait to get the M2.I'm still ordering an M2 as soon as my dealer gets the ordering info.I don't want to wait another 2 years to get the car.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2015, 05:35 PM   #17
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Yes,that is also the way I read it.So 2018 model year production would start in July 2017,with the first deliveries in the US and Canada arriving in September 2017.That is still 2 years from now,which is probably to long for most people to wait to get the M2.I'm still ordering an M2 as soon as my dealer gets the ordering info.I don't want to wait another 2 years to get the car.
Yup, agreed. I wouldn't either if I were you.

My plan is to prob get F80 next summer and lease it for 3 years. If the M2 is that good, I'll get one towards the end of production. If not, I'll buy an F80
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #18
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

If an M1 (4 door) with xDrive is out in 2018, I might be willing to downsize.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #19
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR MFS
Quote:

Care to elaborate on the lease pull ahead after 6 months? Wouldn't you lose your ass on the deal even if you did ED on the car? That's the exact position I'm in right now...

I keep debating whether I want to upgrade to an M2 or M3. But on the way to work this morning driving the M235i I couldn't help but wonder why I feel the need to upgrade such an awesome car. But I still do...
So to move cars faster, BMWNA allows leasees to end leases early depending on the model. You get a new car earlier and BMW gets a lower milage vehicle for CPA.

That said the "is" is definitely good for a three month, no penalty termination if you go to another BMW. Depending on the model, you might be able to do it earlier.

Thinking it over and talking with my wife, I am leaning towards an optioned M2 lease. Transmission still undecided. While family and spawns aren't on the table for a few more years, it allows me to not worry about functionality which is why the M3 is so attractive and further enhanced with great lease rates.

There is a separate thread on M2 leases, so I am not going to go there, but I made the dealer, who has my build slot, know that I was not going to get hosed for a car. If we go down that road, USAA M3 BUYER PROGRAM special it is.

I am leaning towards the LBB M2. Also watching Clarkson's review of the M1 was an influence. Is that even logical?!?!
      10-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #20
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:

More complicated answer:

when did you sneak that AY in there? I thought you were sold on M2?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #21
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///

More complicated answer:

This is my thinking too but I'm not sure about LCI, comp pack 2017 etc.
I've waited too long for a new car so will be M2 or F80 though I'm sure to be annoyed when LCI will come out especially if the M2 is that good and I decide to keep it (last of the manuals and non hybrid M car?) I know I could retrofit items but I just always refer back to e46 and e92 with later build years being the pick.

I was thinking keep M2 for 3 years which will take me to 36years of age and possibly married and kids. Then switch to the F80 last model runout comp package and keep that for good.

I could also do the other way around and get the f80 first and pickup the M2 toward the end for the same reason you said but doesn't really suit family car.

We really need some reviews and comparison vids to come out. This will help I think.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #22
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
This is my thinking too but I'm not sure about LCI, comp pack 2017 etc.
I've waited too long for a new car so will be M2 or F80 though I'm sure to be annoyed when LCI will come out especially if the M2 is that good and I decide to keep it (last of the manuals and non hybrid M car?) I know I could retrofit items but I just always refer back to e46 and e92 with later build years being the pick.

I was thinking keep M2 for 3 years which will take me to 36years of age and possibly married and kids. Then switch to the F80 last model runout comp package and keep that for good.

I could also do the other way around and get the f80 first and pickup the M2 toward the end for the same reason you said but doesn't really suit family car.

We really need some reviews and comparison vids to come out. This will help I think.
Good idea about the M2 while the time is still right. I feel that you can't go wrong, but given what you said (and I too am in a similar position, albeit married), it might be wise to go for the two since no car seat hook up and exfil/infil into the nether region known as the backseat will be required.

Or I could just go broke by buying both and living out of the M3 and driving the M2. Hmm...
Appreciate 0