BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) My X1 test drive experience and observations.

10-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

My X1 test drive experience and observations.

Finally got to test drive the new X1 (US spec) yesterday.
Assuming that most of you have read/watched the online reviews, I have some observations that the media types have not noticed or mentioned and may be informative. I'll try not to cover observations I recall seeing in previous "professional" reviews.
By way of reference my current vehicle is a 2013 X1 28i xDrive mSport loaded with just about all the available packages.

Differences between previous and new model.
1.Single pull to unlock door handles.
2.Stop/start much, much smoother, and less sensitive (slightest touch of the steering wheel on current X1 restarts engine).
3.No paddle shifters in the xLine(unlike the many media images which show them in the non mSport model).

New features I liked.
1.Bright lights under each front bucket seat illuminates back seat footwell area really well.
2.Hands free tailgate works better than I expected. Seemed to open and close sooner and faster than other vehicles I've tried with that feature.

Some aspects were a big disappointment.
1.The seats are not the sport seats. Apparently sport seats will only come with the mSport model and no sport line is planned, and sport seats are not a custom order option. No thigh extender or enhanced side bolstering on the xLine (but they do have the small underseat storage cubby). The seats are more comfortable than I expected, but they are not close to sport seats.
2.Despite all the tech available, the X1 does not have Blind Spot Detection. This was a big one for my wife. Had not realised until yesterday that this option was unavailable.
3.Driving with the sunroof tilted open creates very significant wind noise, even at low speeds.
4.The sunshade under the sunroof is a semi opaque (if that's the correct term) flexible mesh and more bright Texas sunlight comes thru than I would like.
5.The center console was uncomfortable on my right calf. The gas pedal seems close to the hard sided console which itself stops about half way up my calf. Much less comfortable than the current model, and that was only on a relatively short test drive.
6.The center rear seat shoulder seatbelt extends from the roof behind the drivers side rear seat. Found it irritating when latched into the seat anchor. When unbuckled from the seat, I was not able to secure the buckle into the headliner housing for the retracted belt. Saw potential for noise/rattles.
7.The vanity mirrors in the front sunshades are tiny.

Overall we were both very impressed, especially in comparison to our 2013.
Vehicle was as described in all the reviews available online and seems a huge improvement.
Did not test drive the X1 to find faults, but I feel the media reviewers often neglect to point out the warts on an otherwise excellent vehicle. Just thought some observations from an everyday real world driving perspective might be helpful to y'all.

Happy trails...

Last edited by Irish-Texan; 10-18-2015 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2015, 09:48 PM   #2
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Thanks for the write-up. What did you think of the engine compared to your current X1 engine?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 03:51 AM   #3
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Nice one. Would you clarify one thing please:

Quote:
Differences between previous and new model.
2.Stop/start much, much smoother, and less sensitive (slightest touch of the steering wheel on current X1 restarts engine).
Are you talking about the old model being smoother or the new X1? And in what way? Smoother when switching the engine off/on or when moving off?

I've gone for the standard seats as well. Non-electric, as I am the only driver and will only need to adjust the seat once! Glad to hear they're still comfortable. Still not sure if I will get the under-seat compartment with manually adjusted seats or not.

Last edited by KPD; 10-19-2015 at 04:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 06:21 AM   #4
mgerousis
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sdrive18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post

Are you talking about the old model being smoother or the new X1? And in what way? Smoother when switching the engine off/on or when moving off?

I've gone for the standard seats as well. Non-electric, as I am the only driver and will only need to adjust the seat once! Glad to hear they're still comfortable. Still not sure if I will get the under-seat compartment with manually adjusted seats or not.
If you chose the "Storage Compartment Package" option, then you will get the under-seat extra package
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #5
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerousis View Post
If you chose the "Storage Compartment Package" option, then you will get the under-seat extra package
I'm pretty sure that the storage package is standard with xLine here in the UK. I just wanted to make sure whether the compartment under the front seats is available with manually adjustable seats or not. I'm a little confused about how it would work with the horizontal adjustment lever being located there.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
Thanks for the write-up. What did you think of the engine compared to your current X1 engine?
Urban city streets only 20 minute test drive. Less engine noise in the cabin, or so it seemed. Urban acceleration not significantly different in normal and eco mode. Also, transmission was smooth as silk. Drove the test route in my current vehicle right after returning the tester to make sure I had a clear comparison to the tester.
Did not get around to testing sport or sport+ on this test drive. Fully intend to retest with some highway driving and ideally with some night driving (waiting for the clocks to change at the end of the month).

Also, I forgot to mention some positives in my original post that I've not seen mentioned elsewhere.
The A/C performance seems much improved. It was in the mid 80's (about 30C) during the test and air seemed colder than my current vehicle. That's significant as our summer temps easily reach 100+ regularly.
There are fixed air vents either side of the center dash mounted speaker blowing air towards head and shoulders, which are extremely effective.
I was apprehensive about the shifter, but it looks and feels great. Rubbery surface makes it very easy to grip securely and the movement from park down to drive felt good and clear.
Although mentioned in many reviews, I was still very impressed by the improvements in the cupholders and the larger door pockets.

Last edited by Irish-Texan; 10-19-2015 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep

Quote:

New X1 much improved in stop and go traffic. Current X1 very rough and pronounced on restart in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the storage package is standard with xLine here in the UK. I just wanted to make sure whether the compartment under the front seats is available with manually adjustable seats or not. I'm a little confused about how it would work with the horizontal adjustment lever being located there.
My tester with underseat storage had power seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish-Texan View Post
New X1 much improved in stop and go traffic. Current X1 very rough and pronounced on restart in traffic.
Cheers for that. I was worried that it was the other way around (old smoother than new). The sensitivity thing that you mentioned I think will come down to personal preference. I always keep one hand on the steering wheel when stationary. So I might find it a bit annoying and too sensitive, as you described. Some people might actually like it that way.

I've downloaded the manual and there is no mention of the under-seat compartment. From the diagrams, I see that the horizontal adjuster is right where the compartment door will be. So I'm assuming it's only available combined with electric seats.

I'll find out in a week or so when I pick up mine. Thanks again for the quick review.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Drove one this weekend too. Surprised to see the sunroof open over the roof, this has always been a noisy solution in my experience and seemed that way during the brief drive.

ASS never came on, but it was a short drive. Power was surprisingly good and smooth, comparable to what I remember of the E84 28i.

Interior space and functionality was great, certainly better than the E84. Surprisingly, rear leg room was not that impressive, less than the F30 we drove next. Seats were very poor, like the non sport Mini seats I assume they really are.

Drive was pretty good. It wasn't all understeer all the time, and to be honest, wasn't much worse than the early F30's I've driven. However the LCI F30 really did fix most of those issues and just drives much more like our deceased E84 now. Easy choice for us to get an LCI F30.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #11
sealight
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Has anyone tried the Drive Assist? (Basic / Full).
Can't find any video demoing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 04:57 AM   #12
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealight View Post
Has anyone tried the Drive Assist? (Basic / Full).
Can't find any video demoing it.
I've got the basic one (city braking, pedestrian detection and lane departure; no ACC). Lane departure works fine. But city braking and pedestrian detection haven't kicked in yet. I've set the sensitivity to "early". But still nothing.

No idea if it's me that chicken out and brake soon or if there is something wrong with it!

EDIT: Found this on YouTube:
None of these warnings have showed up on my HUD or instrument cluster yet. Maybe I'm just a great driver!

Last edited by KPD; 10-30-2015 at 05:06 AM..
Appreciate 0