BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs. C7 Corvette

09-27-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
RoninX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z51

M2 vs. C7 Corvette

Anyone else debating between the M2 and the new Corvette?

I currently drive an E86 Z4 Coupe, which I've owned for the last 9 years. Love the car, but I'm thinking about getting something new.

Today, I rented a 2015 Corvette with a 7-speed manual transmission for a few hours to get a feel for how it drives.

What I like:
  • The Style: Looks are subjective, but IMHO, the C7 is the best-looking car you can buy for under $100K.
  • The Engine: Lots of torque, everywhere from 1500 RPM to redline.
  • The Steering: Very precise. Steering feedback is about the same as every other EPS system -- not great, but not terrible.
  • The Brakes: Amazing.

What I'm ambivalent about, but could probably get used to:
  • The Size: It definitely feels like a bigger car than my Z4C.
  • The Interior: It's actually not bad. It's the best interior I've ever seen in an American car, but the tolerances and materials aren't up to BMW standards.

What I'm concerned about:
  • The Reliability: The 2014 models seemed to have abysmal reliability. On the other hand, GM seems to have addressed most of the major problems (engines blowing up, etc.). Perusing the Corvette forums, the 2016 model seems to be reasonably reliable, at least, so far.

So, the C7 is still at the top of my list, but I still want to test drive the M2 when it comes out.

I was also considering a base Cayman, and took one for a test drive, but I found the lack of low-end torque disappointing.

Regardless of which car I get, it will be my daily driver. (My Z4C made it through the Boston Snowpocalypse with winter tires.)

Anyone else thinking about the C7 as well as the M2?
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2015, 11:40 PM   #2
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I thought about the new corvette as well. Something about a base corvette doesn't seem special at all to me. I think I would rather save 20k and get a c6 z06 or spend 20k more and get the new z06. Performance wise though, I don't see how the m2 will compete with the base c7. Performance for the price is crazy. Interior was pretty good for a Vette as well!

Also, not sure why you are considering an m2 and a corvette, but only a base Cayman. The Cayman S really isn't that much more, and gives you a bit more performance. It is actually my backup plan along with the f80 at the moment.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910902.00
      09-27-2015, 11:58 PM   #3
RoninX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM View Post
Also, not sure why you are considering an m2 and a corvette, but only a base Cayman. The Cayman S really isn't that much more, and gives you a bit more performance. It is actually my backup plan along with the f80 at the moment.
I'm looking to the keep the price around $55K, and the starting price of the Cayman S is $64K, with most of the ones on the lots starting around $70K.

That said, Porsche is switching engines from the NA flat 6 to a turbo flat 4 in the spring, and no one knows how that's going to affect prices. They could go up, go down, or stay the same. If I could get a new Cayman S for under $60K, it would definitely be on my list, but I don't think that's likely.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 12:15 AM   #4
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Gotcha. That is pretty much the exact budget I have as well. Looking at the following....

M2
Leasing m3/m4
CPO Cayman S
997.2 911S

Really want to do Euro Delivery, as I am getting married in Vienna next year, so the m2 is looking very attractive.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

i saw a c7 yesterday and one thing i noticed is that the size seems to be getting smaller and smaller compared to past generations, sure its no M2 but its no longer the size of a boat imo
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
sgrinavi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 911GTS & 2014 X1

Garage List
Corvette is the bang/buck solution for sure, but I really don't want another.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #7
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Corvette has always had an image problem that seems to be continued with the C7. Anything other than the ZO6 is driven by old guys.
Appreciate 1
Russkey154.50
      09-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
RoninX
Private
Rep

Yeah, I couldn't help but notice that the average age on the Corvette forums was about 60. Though there were younger guys as well, as well as guys who are old now, but bought their first Corvettes when they were young.

The thing is that this seems to be something that only car guys know about. When I talk to friends who aren't car guys or girls, none of them seem to associate the Corvette with old drivers.

For what it's worth, BMW drivers also have an image problem, and it's one that seems to be widely held in the general population...
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #9
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I see nothing but gray hair dudes driving vette's. I've got a few gray hairs but don't want to join "their" club. Never really been a fan except for those old 60's vette's.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #10
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaM2 View Post
i saw a c7 yesterday and one thing i noticed is that the size seems to be getting smaller and smaller compared to past generations, sure its no M2 but its no longer the size of a boat imo
Huh? Corvettes are tiny, low, and don't weigh that much. It's a dedicated sports car, unlike the M2 will be. C6s were low in weight as well. Physically they are not that long. Wide, yes.
It's like the Viper. The Viper is shorter than the 911.
Appreciate 2
      09-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #11
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

I'm 24 and have a C7 corvette! I love it and considered lots of other cars, and couldn't get anything close for $55k. Note that I have never considered a corvette in my life before, but this model really hit close to home.

I'm curious what you are comparing the interior to? I originally had a M235i on order, and it was full of plastic everywhere and came standard with this tiny screen. The C7 has leather interior (or soft material everywhere - i get easily tricked). It comes with the big screen in the center, and it has a fully digital display. When I compared it to the BMW M235i I was going to order, the C7 interior seemed a lot better. To be fair, I also got the competition package which came with those awesome seats, and alcantera steering wheel and shifter.

As an owner, here are some things you might want to consider.

Big engines are getting rarer and rarer. This is my first V8, and with the times now, maybe my last (for a new car). I drove the M235i, and other cars (such as CLA45 AMG), and they didn't have the V8 growl which sounds sweet! The second best sound IMO for that price range was the base Cayman, but it felt really slow (in acceleration, handling was perfect).

I get ~35 MPG. With the 7 Speed manual in ECO mode (where it shuts off 4 cylinderers) at highway speeds, the gas mileage is amazing!

My car is a year old now, so not old, but not new either. I have 10,000 miles on it and have had 0 issues so far. My only complaint might be in the winter it was hard to shift gears, felt like i was forcing it.

You can't go wrong, but you also can't go wrong the the M2 either

FYI here was what I ordered, I called it the minimalist enthusiast package

C7 Stingray non-z51 (base model)
Laguna Blue
Competition Seats (with alcantera steering wheel and shifter)
Performance Exhust

It comes with Bose 9 speaker stereo, backup camera standard, bluetooth 4.0 streaming, HID, etc. Considering how much BMW charges for options which IMO should now be standard, the base car had all the tech I needed!

Oops, i should add the positives of the M2.

With the M2, you will definitely get one of the best cars on the market with 4 seats! You will also get exclusivity. While I love my C7, they are everywhere in Texas! I'm happy I got a color that isn't too popular, and I have modded it to look different.

Last edited by Greenkirby21; 09-28-2015 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 6
termigni1080.00
      09-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #12
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

^^^
Like the picture, well done. Car looks sick !
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #13
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Beautiful car! If I didn't need back seats it would be hard to argue against that V8! I also agree with you on the interiors, it may not be an A8 interior but sure as heck is just as nice/nicer than a freaking 2 series, lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #14
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrinavi View Post
Corvette is the bang/buck solution for sure, but I really don't want another.
I'm pretty sure the Corvette is just a bang solution nowaways. The price is just another positive but isn't needed to make an argument for it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 09:52 PM   #15
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

C7is a beast. Amazing car
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 01:38 AM   #16
RoninX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
I'm 24 and have a C7 corvette! I love it and considered lots of other cars, and couldn't get anything close for $55k. Note that I have never considered a corvette in my life before, but this model really hit close to home.
Nice car! The one I rented was also Laguna Blue. I have to say, the C7 looks even better in person than in photos.

I was comparing the interior to my Z4, and really, it was more of a toss up. There were definitely some things I liked better about the C7, like the customizable display that changes depending on the driving mode. I also like the overall driver-oriented cockpits of both cars.

My reservations about the C7's interior were mostly minor quibbles. There were some panel gaps and panels that weren't precisely aligned, and the big piece of plastic that surrounded the central gauges was hard plastic. More significantly, the A/C didn't seem to cool down the cabin as quickly as the one on my Z4, and it wasn't a particularly hot day. But that could have just been an issue with the particular car I rented. In any case, these were all minor things that wouldn't be dealbreakers.

The base C7 definitely includes a lot of features that would cost extra on a BMW (and ridiculously more on a Porsche). I found the standard GT seats comfortable, with all of the power adjustments I would want. In contrast, the base Cayman I drove didn't even have power seats (with the exception of the reclining back). If you want power seats on a Cayman, it'll run you about $4000 (!) including all of the required packages.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 01:51 AM   #17
RoninX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Huh? Corvettes are tiny, low, and don't weigh that much. It's a dedicated sports car, unlike the M2 will be. C6s were low in weight as well. Physically they are not that long. Wide, yes.
It's like the Viper. The Viper is shorter than the 911.
That's true. For comparison:

C7 Corvette
  • Weight: 3298 lbs
  • Length: 176.9 in
  • Width: 73.9 in
  • Height: 48.8 in

M235i
  • Weight: 3505 lbs
  • Length: 174.5 in
  • Width: 69.8 in
  • Height: 55.8 in

Z4 Coupe
  • Weight: 3080 lbs
  • Length: 161.1 in
  • Width: 70.1 in
  • Height: 49.9 in

The C7 is still a bit larger than my Z4C, which I consider to be the ideal size for a sports car. Of course, the C7's power/weight ratio blows it away.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #18
sgrinavi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 911GTS & 2014 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Corvette is just a bang solution nowaways. The price is just another positive but isn't needed to make an argument for it anymore.
It's the only reason I'd own one. When I parked my GTS next to one last week the owner of the C7 told me the same thing. Yes the C7 performs and yes it's better than the previous version. But, IMO, it's still not a class act, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #19
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
Corvette has always had an image problem that seems to be continued with the C7. Anything other than the ZO6 is driven by old guys.
Agreed. Just like Subaru Outbacks and Foresters are for lesbians...

A better car to compare with the M2 would be a Cayman S.

If you guys are still wanting an M2 and haven't gone to your dealership to put your name on the list 3mos ago, you might be too late. I asked my dealer, 6 in line and only 2 allocated next year. Just like how I missed the boat for the GT4...
      09-29-2015, 11:32 PM   #20
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post

I'm curious what you are comparing the interior to? I originally had a M235i on order, and it was full of plastic everywhere and came standard with this tiny screen. The C7 has leather interior (or soft material everywhere - i get easily tricked). It comes with the big screen in the center, and it has a fully digital display. When I compared it to the BMW M235i I was going to order, the C7 interior seemed a lot better. To be fair, I also got the competition package which came with those awesome seats, and alcantera steering wheel and shifter.

As an owner, here are some things you might want to consider.

Big engines are getting rarer and rarer. This is my first V8, and with the times now, maybe my last (for a new car). I drove the M235i, and other cars (such as CLA45 AMG), and they didn't have the V8 growl which sounds sweet! The second best sound IMO for that price range was the base Cayman, but it felt really slow (in acceleration, handling was perfect).

I get ~35 MPG. With the 7 Speed manual in ECO mode (where it shuts off 4 cylinderers) at highway speeds, the gas mileage is amazing!

My car is a year old now, so not old, but not new either. I have 10,000 miles on it and have had 0 issues so far. My only complaint might be in the winter it was hard to shift gears, felt like i was forcing it.

You can't go wrong, but you also can't go wrong the the M2 either

FYI here was what I ordered, I called it the minimalist enthusiast package

C7 Stingray non-z51 (base model)
Laguna Blue
Competition Seats (with alcantera steering wheel and shifter)
Performance Exhust

It comes with Bose 9 speaker stereo, backup camera standard, bluetooth 4.0 streaming, HID, etc. Considering how much BMW charges for options which IMO should now be standard, the base car had all the tech I needed!

Oops, i should add the positives of the M2.

With the M2, you will definitely get one of the best cars on the market with 4 seats! You will also get exclusivity. While I love my C7, they are everywhere in Texas! I'm happy I got a color that isn't too popular, and I have modded it to look different.
Agree.. not all vette owners are old.. there is a guy in my neighborhood (lewisville) with a car very similar to yours...

Totally spot on with lambasting BMW on what should be standard options.. I paid $500 for a stinkin' USB connector in my 1M.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 11:36 PM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Agreed. Just like Subaru Outbacks and Foresters are for lesbians...

A better car to compare with the M2 would be a Cayman S.

If you guys are still wanting an M2 and haven't gone to your dealership to put your name on the list 3mos ago, you might be too late. I asked my dealer, 6 in line and only 2 allocated next year. Just like how I missed the boat for the GT4...
your dealer told you that they would be allocated only two for the year..? that sounds pretty um... limited..

Hmmm.. Where is KennyPowers ?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #22
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Agree.. not all vette owners are old.. there is a guy in my neighborhood (lewisville) with a car very similar to yours...

Totally spot on with lambasting BMW on what should be standard options.. I paid $500 for a stinkin' USB connector in my 1M.
Maybe that's me . (I live in west plano)

Last edited by Greenkirby21; 09-30-2015 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0