THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Convertible Care

08-28-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
Chainrxn
Rep
Drives: m235i Convertible

Convertible Care

Hey all,

Due to take ownership of my 2016 xDrive M235i Convertible in a couple weeks and i was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on care for the rag-top. This will be the first convertible i own.

Regarding cleaning, doing it myself is always an option, but we do have a nice hand-wash place in my town. Is there anything i should watch out for when getting it washed?

Any other wisdom any convertible owners might want to share?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Great question and one that rag top owners OUGHT to be asking, but few do. I can't tell you many rags I see here, of all makes that have simply ignored an expensive item. End of minor rant--its just that I like rag tops and hate to see them neglected.

First, best to get the RaggTopp Kit from Autogeek.com. Your local auto interior shops can order them also. BMW makes a fine kit as well.

You wash, clean with the cleaner solution, make sure it's totally dry and apply the conditioner in several coats, allowing 15-20 min. apart. Then allow to dry and cure completely without moisture on the top. Good to go for up to a year, depending upon your parking and storage conditions. If garaged, your in good shape, if left out to elements, then maybe couple times of year is best. Water beads up, and bird drops are repelled. If you get the latter, get it off quickly so as not to stain or remain on top fibers too long. I carry a couple of old rags and water solution in the boot at all times.

Another tip I recco: go to Target and get one of those really strong pet hair, roller thingies...keep it handy in boot kit or garage. The top gets dusty when out in normal conditions. The roller picks up it all up along with any other fine debris. Amazing what it picks up and you don't wash it all the time. BTW--excessive or constant washing will wear down the conditioner as well.

Hope this helps...enjoy the top. You paid extra for it, and it will last a long time if neglected, but its not neeeearly as nice as one properly cared for.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
Chainrxn
Rep
Drives: m235i Convertible

Thank you for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 02:38 AM   #4
jradon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2series

Aside from Raggtopp, 303 is a another good product for beading and UV protection.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I've used the BMW kit on our 2006 330 since new, 10 years later the top still looks pristine. Granted only 30k on the car but still. Very good product.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #6
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
I've been using Raggtopp and am not that impressed. Seems to fade here in the hot and humid Mid-Atlantic. I'm either going with Chemical Guys or 303.
Appreciate 0