F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > drone question?
Studio RSR

08-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 lci

I would like to know how bad the drone would be if I do a muffler delete on my f30 335i 8speed AT

I already did a resonator delete but I just need my car a little louder meanwhile I save up for a exhaust

Another question has anyone done a muffler delete but left the flap on to help the drone or would it even help it ? Or is it even possible ?
      08-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Drone has negative affect on our testicles so don't do it, and it will sound like crap.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #3
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223
Drone has negative affect on our testicles so don't do it, and it will sound like crap.
What would be the difference from doing a muffler delete

Or buying the gthause exhuast that sounds great

I herd the video on YouTube with that exhuast and i love the sound and my friends muffler delete f30 sounds identical ?
Attached Images

08-18-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarortiz23 View Post

I herd the video on YouTube with that exhuast and i love the sound and my friends muffler delete f30 sounds identical ?
Sounds great...from the outside. Have you read the reviews? Drone.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #5
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahero4eternity
Quote:

Sounds great...from the outside. Have you read the reviews? Drone.
There is not much review on drone just everyone saying it sound nice and they like the blurbs lol
      08-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #6
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

Quote:
There is not much review on drone just everyone saying it sound nice and they like the blurbs lol
Considering what it is...straight pipes...it's overrated and overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
So if you want to pay that much money for the Meisterschaft just to get it loud but get headache producing drone, go ahead I won't stop you. But people call Akrapovic a ripoff, the real ripoff if you ask me are companies like GTHaus that sells shit products for a lot of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
So Akrapovic put in 3 months of development and have an exhaust that produces a nice sound without any drawbacks basically while manufacturers like GTHaus just bends som pipes in a week to produce poorly thought of products like their Meisterschaft that drones like there is no tomorrow and sounds like a car with a afterburner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaanVelgen View Post
The Akrapovic is the best available by far and a winner on every aspect. True value for money.

Our customer with the Meisterschaft from the movie eventually changed the Meisterschaft for the Akrapovic. The Meisterschaft is nice, but the drone can get annoying. After the change he was more then satisfied.

He still has the Meisterschaft system available so if there is anyone interested he will let it go for a good offer. Feel free to send us a PM.

Judge for yourself.
Akrapovic:

Meisterschaft:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingLower42 View Post
I got it [GThaus]. It's pretty damn loud.

I even put 3.5" resonators on there..Cut down on the drone, but it still is noticeably loud.

I love my exhaust, but without the resonators, the car sounds like a Indy race car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daberlin View Post
Caviat - I own Akra on my F30 335, thus I'm biased but....

As for your questions.

1. Akra sounds better. More refined and stock when driving normally. Loud and aggressive when driving in sport.

2. Akra has far less drone [than GThaus].

3. Akra build quality is amazing. Far in excess of OEM.

If your goal is loud and obnoxious drone (which, to not hate, some want) then save the cash and buy GT Haus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
Meisterschaft are so loud so many people reported that and drones but its fun for tracking imo am sure about that but not for daily drivining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman View Post
I have the meisterschaft gt...I would say get the akra if you can afford it and want no drone/ max everyday comfort. That is the one negative for the gt haus systems...but In terms of pure fun/sound you cant beat the meisterschaft...make sure you get the full cat back though.
Quote:
Is there any way to cut down on the drone with resonators(ive heard about them but have no experience with them), or get a muffler on this thing? I love the sound, but the drone is insane...Especially on this built like shit f30.
Quote:
Its loud as hell, but with all these exotics around its just another loud car. I love the sound its just the drone shakes the WHOLE car...Low rmps is insane!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine435i View Post
And yes, if you guys are talking about the drone with Meisterschaft Super GT...what did you expect? The exhaust system doesn't even have a muffler. Why is it a surprise that there is drone at some RPM?
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2015, 09:45 PM   #7
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

That said, I just installed the AWE Touring with the performance midpipe. Loud when I want it, quiet when I don't (no drone).
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That said, I just installed the AWE Touring with the performance midpipe. Loud when I want it, quiet when I don't (no drone).
How much is that set up ? Does it have a valve or the exhaust just doesn't give drone
      08-18-2015, 09:58 PM   #9
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

It just doesn't give drone. Well designed with the appropriate resonators/mufflers that yield a loud, aggressive growl and drone-less cruising experience.

https://www.x-ph.com/awe-tuning-bmw-...exhaust-suite/
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:00 PM   #10
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

If you're ever in San Diego, I'd be more than happy to take you for a spin.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #11
BMW GENIUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M235i 6MT

Everyone on these forums acts as if the drone is lethal or something lol. There is not nearly as much drone as everyone says, or at least from my experience. I'm running a straight pipe exhaust from the turbo back and its not really bad at all. If you think these cars are loud, you are horribly mistaken. Coming from a person with a cammed LSX Mazda RX7 FC, these things are silent in comparison. Save yourself a few bucks and just man up and do a muffler delete. Your ears will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

It's really matter of personal preference and tolerance. I have zero tolerance for drone.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 12:51 AM   #13
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

To all the people saying that muffler delete and the Meisterschaft exhaust sound the same, YOU ARE WRONG. I did a muffler delete and, sure it sounds loud, but there is an insane amount of drone. I bought the Meisterschaft GTC and it is much more refined than a muffler delete and is still plenty loud with a very nice growl at WOT. I've had numerous compliments about this exhaust and even had an F80 owner say he wishes his sounded like mine.

I do regret paying so much just for an exhaust system when I could have done so many other upgrades, but this is the exact sound I was hoping for, so it was worth it for me. I personally would not pay 2K+ to get a relatively quiet system. As long as you don't deal with GT Haus directly, you'll be fine.

Since I drive in sport + most of the time, the car stays above 2K rpm and so there is basically no drone.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 02:37 AM   #14
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

lol don't deal with them directly? That's reassuring. FTL
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 02:40 AM   #15
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW GENIUS
Everyone on these forums acts as if the drone is lethal or something lol. There is not nearly as much drone as everyone says, or at least from my experience. I'm running a straight pipe exhaust from the turbo back and its not really bad at all. If you think these cars are loud, you are horribly mistaken. Coming from a person with a cammed LSX Mazda RX7 FC, these things are silent in comparison. Save yourself a few bucks and just man up and do a muffler delete. Your ears will be fine.
Exactly well said lol I already took off he muffler and resonator and I feel like is still quiet lol my s2000 is super loud compared to this I have js racing exhaust 70 rr track spec with headers lol

but that's my track baby

But doing the muffler delete is not a huge deal with drone

It's still quiet
      08-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #16
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
lol don't deal with them directly? That's reassuring. FTL
Ordered mine May 20 or so and Was supposed to get mine end of May and instead they kept giving me bs excuses for an entire month. Canceled that order and Got one brand new from a vendor who had it in stock and couldn't be happier.

There must be a huge difference between the super GT and GTC because the drone does not "shake my entire car".
Appreciate 0