E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > p0087. low fuel pressure

08-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

p0087. low fuel pressure

P0087 code
Had jbd all along for last 50km,
Did cardon cleaning, fixed all vacuum loss issues,both turbo electro actuators are new. Finally car is running better but under heavy load goes to limp, and throws fuel pressure code.

I did a new fuel filter about the same time my I did carbon cleaning.

I did not re set adaptation on fuel pump or anytjing, I dont know how to in Inpa or in bmwhat. I have both tools, I will get rheingold in the next week or so.

Isthere anything I can do in inpa or bmwhat to veryfy the fuel pump is ok?

Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335D

I am shy to ask, but what it is this mysterious JBD? Reading often about it, but have no idea what it stands from.

Fuel pressure:
If understand correctly we have two fuel pumps, electrical low pressure to deliver fuel to mechanical pump, for injection pressure.

If you have your fuel filter changed , than have no idea, besides that the pump is going bad.

Lets wait for some other input.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
TorqueAddict
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340i - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx.md View Post
I am shy to ask, but what it is this mysterious JBD? Reading often about it, but have no idea what it stands from.

Fuel pressure:
If understand correctly we have two fuel pumps, electrical low pressure to deliver fuel to mechanical pump, for injection pressure.

If you have your fuel filter changed , than have no idea, besides that the pump is going bad.

Lets wait for some other input.
JBD - It is a piggy back tuner for 335D. There have been a few cases of JBD damaging the fuel rail pressure sensors.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
335dwanted
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

If you have not already done so, I would remove the JBD completely and see if the fault continues.

If still having the fault w/o JBD, as TorqueAddict indicates there has been some evidence of the plugs getting damaged by the JBD. Otherwise, could be a bad rail pressure sensor or the HPFP itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dwanted View Post
If you have not already done so, I would remove the JBD completely and see if the fault continues.

If still having the fault w/o JBD, as TorqueAddict indicates there has been some evidence of the plugs getting damaged by the JBD. Otherwise, could be a bad rail pressure sensor or the HPFP itself.
I have not removed it because.... well I didnt think it was causing problems because of my underlying problem which is a lack of boost build up smoothly and all the way to 28 like itused to prior to the above-mentioned work I have done. I did find vac line that had crack in it, I replaced it and thought that would solve my problem. Ithelped but did not return my 28psi and massive surge of power, and every now and then I get this fuel pressure fault.

I will remove jbd, but I still wont get my boost building properly. Which Will make the car slower
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #6
natefank
Private First Class
Rep

That code is from the JBD, the JBD tells the ecu that there isnt enough fuel so it adds fuel. So when u floor it, the ECU thinks there's almost no fuel, and goes into limp mode to save the pump and injectors. I get it every once in awhile, if I hammer on it after just starting the car. Either take it easy or turn down the JBD
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
32valves
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

mine would do it anywhere from 80% or higher.
so it's at 75% and it's been fine.
also don't romp on it when the engine hasn't warmed up it will go into limp mode also.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

You shouldn't be romping on it when car is cool even if no JBD installed. Oil needs to be up to temperature in regard to it going through the turbos before asking turbos to go "hells bells".
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #9
fsd350
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Garage List
Like others have said, try disconnecting the JBD. I think some of these are more sensitive/fickle than others. Maybe some varying levels of manufacture inconsistencies ie. varying resistance values due to cold soldering. The cases are not very robust for an underhood environment. Also their are several versions of software for our vehicles that comes into play. Mine worked great for 2 months. Left it at default setting. Sold it when i decided to remove the alphabet to another member on here and he had many problems and ended up having BMS repair it. I felt bad about that one. Hooper has a JBD and one of the fastest cars on this board with no issues. Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #10
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep

Well, I tried to post an update today but this site was down???
So i went to bimmerfest and posted there, since i seen the same folks hanging out there also...
So this is what I have posted;

( I did remove my JBD )

I have a issue with my car, the turbos are not switching over fast like they used to, and the bigger turbo does not build pressure to 28psi anymore (with the exception of sometimes usually when engine is not fully warmed up)

I have had a JBD all along, but I have removed it to isolate that as the problem.

Things I have replaced include both electric/vacuum turbo actuatators #1, and center vacuum valve #4, along with 95% of vacuum lines. I have also done a carbon cleaning, all new gaskets, intake manifold pressure cleaned, new o rings at throttle body to boost pipe, and on both sides of red boost hose.
Only vac line I did not replace is the one that goes to under engine #13:
(Because it's in a real tight spot, and well I will probably have to remove subframe to do it??)

Anyway, The boost pressure not building properly improved, but it's still not happening like it used to.

So, I have decided to monitor some values on INPA, but i'm not sure if they are ok or not... the german language does not help either.

If anyone has any insight, it will be very much appreciated.

I'm mostly concerned with the exclamation mark (!) at some of those actual values, :dunno: does it mean the sensor is damaged or reading out of range?
Also was concerned with rail pressure, but the values don't look that bad:

no jbd soll ist at idle:

no jbd soll ist at part throttle 15psi on boost guage:

no jbd soll is at full throttle 25psi on boost guage:

I Also thought I would get a differential pressure value on the dpf.
This one is at Idle:

This is at 1500rpm in Park (no load):

One last question, I did try to reset adaptaions, I was only able to get fuel pump/EKP to accept the reset:

The rest of the adaptations come up with this fault; does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? When I click on YES it goes away but I'm not sure it actually resets adaptations:

Appreciate 0