E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Lesson learned don't cheap out (MB Quart Rant)

07-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Lesson learned don't cheap out (MB Quart Rant)

Well i'm officially fed up with MB Quart. I shouldn't be surprised being that it was a $400 system, however, it sounded great in the beginning. Anyways after a few weeks with the system I noticed a buzzing from the tweeters during some songs. As a result MB quart replaced the system, however, the new tweeters did the same exact thing. I then replaced them with SEAS H1396 tweeters and although it did improve buzzing was still there. I've been contemplating buying a quality set of Morel's to replace everything in the doors, but that now has to be put on hold. Today I realized the driverside underseat sub is blown. I was hearing another noise so put my ear to everything and it's definitely the underseat sub. Turning down the gain helped a bit but it's still there so now I gotta spend money replacing the underseats and then probably going to do the doors as well.

Really wish I never went with MB quart
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
throat_puncher
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi e92 fbo

You should invest in a ground loop isolator
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
OzCoE92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

That sucks! I looked at that kit before I started buying individual parts and thought it was a great plug and play option. Sorry it didn't work out, but if you do end up getting new speakers, Morel's or the entire Jehnert flatline kit would be a good option.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCoE92
That sucks! I looked at that kit before I started buying individual parts and thought it was a great plug and play option. Sorry it didn't work out, but if you do end up getting new speakers, Morel's or the entire Jehnert flatline kit would be a good option.
Yea i'll be doing one of those for sure
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 05:39 AM   #5
frenchie1013
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCoE92
Yea i'll be doing one of those for sure
I am using a set of Morel's and they sound great imo

2014 X5 50i
BMS stage 1, Dinan intake, F85 Knee Bolsters
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie1013 View Post
I am using a set of Morel's and they sound great imo
Yea I think i'm gonna go morels, put the OEM underseats back in for now, then put the mbquart and SEA tweeters in the back
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #7
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCoE92 View Post
+1 Morels and Jehnert underseats if you are willing to spend some $$$$ or the Jehnert 3 way kit if you want to save a few dollars.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
constantin_md
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 X5 sDrive35i

If you won't buy my tempo ultra's 5.25'' and would like to keep interior aesthetics instead, buy this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Mo...e928e1&vxp=mtr

or this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Mo...2f8203&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #9
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

What amp are you using and how do you have it wired up?
Are you using a DSP and if so, what crossover settings do you have?

Ive used MB Quarts in the past, and while they arent top of the line, I never had any issues except when they got overpowered.

If you swapped in another set of tweeters and got the same issue, i doubt it is something with the speakers, and more of an issue with something up the line.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #10
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
What amp are you using and how do you have it wired up?
Are you using a DSP and if so, what crossover settings do you have?

Ive used MB Quarts in the past, and while they arent top of the line, I never had any issues except when they got overpowered.

If you swapped in another set of tweeters and got the same issue, i doubt it is something with the speakers, and more of an issue with something up the line.
Xd600/6 and no DSP. Crossover settings I tried everything and none of it helped. My amp settings were the following:

http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/ps...6qtga.jpg.html

I pulled out the MB Quart driver side sub yesterday as well...

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #11
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Xd600/6 and no DSP. Crossover settings I tried everything and none of it helped. My amp settings were the following:

http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/ps...6qtga.jpg.html

I pulled out the MB Quart driver side sub yesterday as well...
Looks like it may have been hitting something causing it to break. Or it was over powered and went past max excursion. but it should have hit the grill way before that point.

As for your amp settings, it looks like the filters are all set at the same spot. CH1 &2 the 4" in the door, 3 & 4 the tweets and 5 & 6 the subs? Did you also use crossovers for the speakers? And how did you set the amp gain? Did you use a meter to set it? It appears that channels 3 & 4 have the gain way higher than the other channels. Gain should all be the same across all channels if you are using the same inputs for all channels. Gain is to match the signal level.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #12
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like it may have been hitting something causing it to break. Or it was over powered and went past max excursion. but it should have hit the grill way before that point.

As for your amp settings, it looks like the filters are all set at the same spot. CH1 &2 the 4" in the door, 3 & 4 the tweets and 5 & 6 the subs? Did you also use crossovers for the speakers? And how did you set the amp gain? Did you use a meter to set it? It appears that channels 3 & 4 have the gain way higher than the other channels. Gain should all be the same across all channels if you are using the same inputs for all channels. Gain is to match the signal level.
Gain for 3 & 4 s actually way lower and at the minimum which is around 7 o clock since they are OEM speakers. 1 & 2 is the MB quart doors so I had those set to 9 o clock. To set the gain for the MB quart doors and subs I did what the MB quart manual said to do and went to 75% volume and upped the gain til it started sounding a bit distorted then backed up.

I have morels and earthquakes coming and for those i'm gonna let an audio shop set up the AMP I think
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Gain for 3 & 4 s actually way lower and at the minimum which is around 7 o clock since they are OEM speakers. 1 & 2 is the MB quart doors so I had those set to 9 o clock. To set the gain for the MB quart doors and subs I did what the MB quart manual said to do and went to 75% volume and upped the gain til it started sounding a bit distorted then backed up.

I have morels and earthquakes coming and for those i'm gonna let an audio shop set up the AMP I think
Yeah the problem with trying to set them by ear is, unless you have set up a ton of systems, it is hard to distinguish where clipping actually starts. Even a soft clip will kill speakers over time.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #14
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the problem with trying to set them by ear is, unless you have set up a ton of systems, it is hard to distinguish where clipping actually starts. Even a soft clip will kill speakers over time.
Yea I figured I shouldn't have tried doing that.

For the earthquakes is there an issue with them ever hitting the grilles? I'm worried that might have been what damaged the MB quarts and don't want that happening to the new earthquakes
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #15
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yea I figured I shouldn't have tried doing that.

For the earthquakes is there an issue with them ever hitting the grilles? I'm worried that might have been what damaged the MB quarts and don't want that happening to the new earthquakes
i cant remember reading about anyone having that issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #16
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

How low do the 4" Morels go?

Earthquakes probably not going to sound great above 80hz

Kinda doubt the Morels in the doors will play past 250hz all that well.

You never did mention what you had your speakers crossed over at, and I wonder if there might have been issues as to what frequencies you were sending your speakers...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:51 PM   #17
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post

You never did mention what you had your speakers crossed over at, and I wonder if there might have been issues as to what frequencies you were sending your speakers...
What do you mean crossed at (i'm a noob at this stuff just good at diy and following instructions which is why i was able to install it)? If you mean the crossovers mounted in the door there were no settings other than adjusting the tweeter levels which I tried everything
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:04 PM   #18
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post

I think the earthquakes are more meant for the 80-200hz range, not the low range under 80hz, so his doors should be able to pick up right above that.

As for crossovers points, he has the crossovers that come pre set for the speakers. (below)

Quote:
What do you mean crossed at (i'm a noob at this stuff just good at diy and following instructions which is why i was able to install it)? If you mean the crossovers mounted in the door there were no settings other than adjusting the tweeter levels which I tried everything
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #19
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think the earthquakes are more meant for the 80-200hz range, not the low range under 80hz, so his doors should be able to pick up right above that.

As for crossovers points, he has the crossovers that come pre set for the speakers. (below)
I spoke to a audio shop near me and it'll be $75 if I want them to adjust the amp. Do you think it's worth it or should I just go with some of the settings that have been posted here since the earthquake and morels are a pretty common setup?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #20
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I spoke to a audio shop near me and it'll be $75 if I want them to adjust the amp. Do you think it's worth it or should I just go with some of the settings that have been posted here since the earthquake and morels are a pretty common setup?
id invest in a $10 multimeter and follow this guide for the gain.
http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com...l-multi-meter/

For the crossover points, using ones that are posted would be a good starting point for the earthquakes.

Do the morels come with their own crossovers? If so, just use them and dont mess with the amps built in filters.

to get it all set up initially is about a 30 minute to an hour job, which is what the shop will do.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #21
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:
I think the earthquakes are more meant for the 80-200hz range, not the low range under 80hz, so his doors should be able to pick up right above that...
no no no no no, many times no.

There's tons of people complaining about their Earthquakes' sound quality. 90% of them are traced back to the fact they were playing above 80hz.

Earthquakes are meant to actually be "sub" woofers, so they're designed to play best below 80hz- 30hz or so.

The morels, (if I recall correctly) are designed to play best from 250hz or so and on up (2khz?)

So anyone installing these speakers playing at their optimum frequencies start complaining because there's a wealth of music in the 250hz - 80hz range that's simply missing.

Basically, the majority end up complaining about the Earthquakes because either:
a) There's missing sound in the 250-80hz range or
b) The Earthquakes sound like crap because they're playing higher than 80hz, or
c) The Earthquakes don't provide enough low end punch for them.

You'd have been better off sticking to the stock OEM's or finding the 8" HiFi OEM speakers, or getting the Jehnerts 8" woofers.

Any of those would be much better off playing the range from 250hz on down to about 40hz or so. You'd be missing the low low bass, but honestly, most people (unless they're bass heads) aren't going to know they're missing those low low bass notes.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 09:42 PM   #22
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87
Quote:
id invest in a $10 multimeter and follow this guide for the gain.
http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com...l-multi-meter/

For the crossover points, using ones that are posted would be a good starting point for the earthquakes.

Do the morels come with their own crossovers? If so, just use them and dont mess with the amps built in filters.

to get it all set up initially is about a 30 minute to an hour job, which is what the shop will do.
Pretty sure the morels come with their own crossovers. So use the multimeter for gaun but what should be used for the filer freq setting?
Appreciate 0