THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums AUSTRALIA Your 'flat tyre plan'

06-25-2015, 01:26 AM   #1
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Your 'flat tyre plan'

Can anyone advise what their 'flat tyre' plan is for long road trips?

Ive been looking at the Stop & Go Tubeless Pocket Tire Plugger w/ CO2 Inflation Canisters. Has anyone tried these and where can you buy them?

Thanks in advance
      06-25-2015, 04:09 AM   #2
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
The M235i will have a BMW mobility kit that comes standard, I'd suggest using that.

If you are quite hands on and know how to do a string plug repair then you can buy the kit you have shown. However when you fix puncture repairs you will always want a combi/mushroom plug. ( It requires the tyre to be taken off the rim and plugged from the inside out. ) It is very hard to repair a tyre correctly after it has been plugged from the top. If you get a compressor with slime, it will shoot slime and air into the tyre and cover the leak, you can then take it to a tyre shop to get the tyre repaired because they can simply take the tyre off the rim and wash the slime away.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:06 AM   #3
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
The M235i will have a BMW mobility kit that comes standard, I'd suggest using that.

If you are quite hands on and know how to do a string plug repair then you can buy the kit you have shown. However when you fix puncture repairs you will always want a combi/mushroom plug. ( It requires the tyre to be taken off the rim and plugged from the inside out. ) It is very hard to repair a tyre correctly after it has been plugged from the top. If you get a compressor with slime, it will shoot slime and air into the tyre and cover the leak, you can then take it to a tyre shop to get the tyre repaired because they can simply take the tyre off the rim and wash the slime away.
Thanks AUSf22 I wasnt aware the M235i has a BMW mobility kit that comes standard. Does the compressor actually do its job and should I invest in some slime?
      06-25-2015, 05:38 AM   #4
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbit View Post
Thanks AUSf22 I wasnt aware the M235i has a BMW mobility kit that comes standard. Does the compressor actually do its job and should I invest in some slime?
The compressor will take awhile but yes it will do the job, you can buy a compressor kit that has slime already from repco or supercheap for $30-$50. The BMW mobility has some tyre sealant already. I don't have the mobility kit but I do have run-crap tyres so I bought a compressor kit with some slime from repco.

So if I ever get a flat, I'll use the slime and then take it to work and get one of the boys to repair my tyre properly .
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:50 AM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

For long drives away from home I like to take a bicycle air pump ( actually fills a tire pretty quickly ) along with plugs and a sealant.
However with plugs it's lots easier if you can take tire off car and have a small claw pliers to pull out nail.
I just read in owners manual to ask dealer about tire removal tools - after getting a flat earlier this week I want to buy a bmw emergency jack and tools - need to ask dealer what they offer for 235.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 12:20 AM   #6
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

The issue with mobility kits is that they leave gunk in your tyre which need to be removed completely before your repaired tyre can be re-balanced. Tyre shops have been known to defect your tyre and put on new ones rather than clean your tyre. It's a wheel balance issue and not just time issue.

I had 4 punctures in my a45 over 6 months. It was jinxed. Mobility kit slime failed to work on the 2 occasions I used them.

I had a puncture in 235 a few weeks ago and did not use the kit. I called BMW assistance and told them kit didn't work. They sent out a flat top and took me to tyre shop.

Long story short. Use BMW assistance or purchase a space saver that works with 235 set up.
Appreciate 0