THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Door Panel 3M clear wrapping

06-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
JSY217c
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW

Door Panel 3M clear wrapping

I had long but not too deep scratch marks on the side of the back bumper of my current car which I think happened when my car was parked at a lot and whoever was parked beside scraped it as he was leaving. It's all polished out now but thought if I had 3m wrap on it, it would have been fine. I'll probably get the back bumper clear wrapped on my 235i when it arrives. But now I'm wondering if I should get the door panel wrapped too. I haven't seen anyone do this before nor see shops that wraps it for you. Has anyone ever clear wrapped their door panel? It probably won't prevent dings but I'd assume it would provide at least some sort of cushioning and avoid paint chips.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Keep in mind doing a clear wrap adds up considerably the more panels you do and more complex of the panels.

Realistically, I would not stay it is worth it to do anything other than the front bumper/hood and areas that are prone to rock chips. It is also visible to a degree, especially after time and UV fading so after a few years you will notice the color shift between the wrapped areas and unwrapped areas.

At the end of the day it's a car, and 1 door ding will cause a bubble in the clear bra which means it would be even worse than if you didn't have the wrap on.

My suggestion would be get your front bumper wrapped, but save the rest of your money. If you need to do a paint touch up or correction down the road then so be it. It will be cheaper to touch up later than it is to wrap the car in plastic (similar to my mother in law and her plastic encased couch from 1970).
      06-12-2015, 01:28 AM   #3
_dmglce
Private
Rep
Drives: Range Rover

My friend has his entire GTR clear bra from bumper to bumper. It is pricey but gives you a better peace of mind. In the long run, I think just having front end and rear bumper is just enough. I have my front end on my MB clear bra and haven't had any issues with my side panels or doors - just park far away
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
JSY217c
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW

I guess when i receive my car i will get the front and the back done. And maybe ill order the clear film for the doors and put it on myself sometime down the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
Hemisedan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming in March: 2016 BMW M235

Granted, this is on MINI's, but I had the front end done on my 2011 JCW and I didn't like how they wrapped only 3/4's of the good, so on my roadster, I just had the front bumper/grille area, and the door edges done. I'm very happy with the way this looks. My roadster is Pepper White and the color difference is NOT noticeable at all, between the bumper and the hood coloring. It is noticeable on the doors, but I really don't care, as I had that put on for protection, not necessarily looks. I've never thought about the rear bumper, as I was more concerned about bugs and rock chips. None so far in over two years.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Keep in mind doing a clear wrap adds up considerably the more panels you do and more complex of the panels.

Realistically, I would not stay it is worth it to do anything other than the front bumper/hood and areas that are prone to rock chips. It is also visible to a degree, especially after time and UV fading so after a few years you will notice the color shift between the wrapped areas and unwrapped areas.

At the end of the day it's a car, and 1 door ding will cause a bubble in the clear bra which means it would be even worse than if you didn't have the wrap on.

My suggestion would be get your front bumper wrapped, but save the rest of your money. If you need to do a paint touch up or correction down the road then so be it. It will be cheaper to touch up later than it is to wrap the car in plastic (similar to my mother in law and her plastic encased couch from 1970).
Agree 100%. Bumper, mirrors and maybe hood. I've never wrapped anything. Dont really see the logic. If Wrapped bumper will get pitted like unwrapped bumper, so then what? Remove wrap? Rewrap? Some do half hood but that line is unsightly. I don't like the idea of waxing/polishing plastic wrap. +1 about couch.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I just had my whole front end done in Xpel (front bumper, hood and front side fenders). I want to prevent the rock chips that cause chips in the paint that I can’t buff out. If I get a small scratch in the clear coat it is really easy to buff out but those stone chips that go to the primer look terrible. I am guessing it would cost well over $2000 to get the whole car wrapped.
      06-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
_dmglce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
I just had my whole front end done in Xpel (front bumper, hood and front side fenders). I want to prevent the rock chips that cause chips in the paint that I can’t buff out. If I get a small scratch in the clear coat it is really easy to buff out but those stone chips that go to the primer look terrible. I am guessing it would cost well over $2000 to get the whole car wrapped.
In CA, PPF is pretty popular. I had xpel done on my car (full front) and that was already $1500...entire car, I can imagine it to be something astronomical.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 12:47 AM   #9
EternalVendetta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT / '19 Model 3 SR

I've heard that people prefer Xpel because the 3M stuff yellows over time. I'll likely do the full front in Xpel when I get my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 02:40 AM   #10
_dmglce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalVendetta View Post
I've heard that people prefer Xpel because the 3M stuff yellows over time. I'll likely do the full front in Xpel when I get my car.
All film will discolor over time when exposed to outdoor and weather conditions. But 3m is pretty bad when it comes to yellowing. Xpel is by far the best film out there now IMO. Very marginal discolor on my car, no orange peels and very resilient. I've seen other films before that orange peeled shortly after installation and super thin.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #11
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

My wifes car was white and had 3M film, and it definitely yellowed due to the UV exposure over time.
      06-18-2015, 08:22 AM   #12
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dmglce View Post
All film will discolor over time when exposed to outdoor and weather conditions. But 3m is pretty bad when it comes to yellowing. Xpel is by far the best film out there now IMO. Very marginal discolor on my car, no orange peels and very resilient. I've seen other films before that orange peeled shortly after installation and super thin.
BMWs have a ton of orange peel. Plastic won't fix that.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 06:01 AM   #13
jradon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2series

Have you checked Xpel and SUntek? They have better "self healing" properties that the 3m.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 11:23 PM   #14
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalVendetta View Post
3M is also notably thicker and obvious from a distance - it looks like plastic on a car. By comparison, I have had xpel installers recommend an xpel wrap before I tell them the full front is already wrapped They always have to check the seams to verify.

Go with xpel if you do any, but I wouldn't do a full door. The full front and maybe the bottom running panels at most. Its just crappy luck on the ding and a hard enough hit will still get past any wrap and dent the door.