THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums AUSTRALIA Paint Protection

05-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Paint Protection

Having just spent the weekend cleaning my 125i M Sport of road tar I'm starting to think I should get paint protection on my yet to arrive M235i.
Can anybody share some info on paint protection.
Way back in the day paint protection was a bit of a scam in my option.
So have things changed?
Do today's paint protectors really work?
Can anybody recommend one that is available in Australia

Many thanks in advance
      05-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbit
Having just spent the weekend cleaning my 125i M Sport of road tar I'm starting to think I should get paint protection on my yet to arrive M235i.
Can anybody share some info on paint protection.
Way back in the day paint protection was a bit of a scam in my option.
So have things changed?
Do today's paint protectors really work?
Can anybody recommend one that is available in Australia

Many thanks in advance
I like xpel ultimate. You can google their self healing video demos
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Aside from the protection benefit, I got it done as the car is easier to wash, and it also enhances gloss and makes the car look great. Some products on the market wears off after 6-12 months so choose wisely.

I went with Opticoat pro, who have a great reputation. The price was very reasonable. Not sure who the distributor is in Sydney, but Kim from Evolution Detail in Brisbane really did an awesome job and the car looks amazing.

Build thread: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149793
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
I like xpel ultimate. You can google their self healing video demos
Thanks 'pikcachu' I have watched the video and read up on xpel i just have a thought process problem with covering my car in a 'plastic wrap'. I'm pretty sure I will always be able to see the epel edges no matter how good a job is done. I do however think that it gives the best protection against stone chips over other products
Cheers!
      05-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #5
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightelf View Post
Aside from the protection benefit, I got it done as the car is easier to wash, and it also enhances gloss and makes the car look great. Some products on the market wears off after 6-12 months so choose wisely.

I went with Opticoat pro, who have a great reputation. The price was very reasonable. Not sure who the distributor is in Sydney, but Kim from Evolution Detail in Brisbane really did an awesome job and the car looks amazing.
Thanks 'Knightelf' I found a local Opticoat dealer and it was cheaper than I expected. Appreciated :-)
I am also looking at Ceramic Pro. I just have to choose which I will go with. My M235i should be on a ship any day now out of Bremerhaven and I want to get the paint protection on as soon as I take delivery (same day)
      05-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #6
slingy
Rep
Drives: 228i

I went with Opti-Coat, seems like there is a lot of debate about whether its worth it or not. Still dubious of their lifetime claim, we will see how it holds up. As for its affect, it sure makes it easy to clean the car. Definitely get something on your wheels cause brake dust is bitch
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #7
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingy View Post
I went with Opti-Coat, seems like there is a lot of debate about whether its worth it or not. Still dubious of their lifetime claim, we will see how it holds up. As for its affect, it sure makes it easy to clean the car. Definitely get something on your wheels cause brake dust is bitch
Good idea 'slingy' I never thought about the wheels. I will definitely ask about getting the rims done as well
      05-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #8
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

I have always done it myself. Do go to carcareproducts.com.au and have a look at the tutorials and products. With the prices charged by car detailers (who use similar if not lesser products) you could arm yourself with tools and materials to last many cycles, whether 6 or 12 months.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #9
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbit View Post
Thanks 'pikcachu' I have watched the video and read up on xpel i just have a thought process problem with covering my car in a 'plastic wrap'. I'm pretty sure I will always be able to see the epel edges no matter how good a job is done. I do however think that it gives the best protection against stone chips over other products
Cheers!
If you do full hood instead of just a bra, you don't see endges unless you are about 15cm away..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

+1 for the XPEL Ultimate. I have had it on the M235i for a couple of months now and cannot be happier with the product. So far, it has lived up to my expectations.

I agree with pikcachu, that going with a full hood/front fender application albeit, more expensive will net you what you want (no discernible lines).
      05-12-2015, 04:22 AM   #11
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMWM235i and 2013 E92 M3

Speak with The Weekend Detailer! PM me and I will give you his details
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #12
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa12 View Post
I have always done it myself. Do go to carcareproducts.com.au and have a look at the tutorials and products. With the prices charged by car detailers (who use similar if not lesser products) you could arm yourself with tools and materials to last many cycles, whether 6 or 12 months.
Thanks jaffa12, can you tell me have you ever used Nanolex Paint & Alloy Protection and if so how have you found it. Also do you know if 'glass pexin' is one of its ingredients.
To me it looks like most of products in the market today are of the same compound/core ingredient, and is just Rebadged, repacked or marketed differently

Any feedback is appreciated
      05-15-2015, 04:05 AM   #13
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbit View Post
Thanks jaffa12, can you tell me have you ever used Nanolex Paint & Alloy Protection and if so how have you found it. Also do you know if 'glass pexin' is one of its ingredients.
To me it looks like most of products in the market today are of the same compound/core ingredient, and is just Rebadged, repacked or marketed differently

Any feedback is appreciated
IMO Nanolex is as good as promised but it is not an easy product to apply, especially if you aren't a regular/experienced DIY detailer. To get best results with Nanolex, paint correction and preparation is critical including claying, cutting and removing all previous paint applications with a good all purpose cleaner. Application of the nanolex surface cleaner isn't enough. The applicators for the expensive nanolex are no bigger than facial cotton pads. Hence applying nanolex over the whole car is time consuming.

I have 5 cars under my care in my family. I have used nanolex on 2 cars but soon realised that I'm too time poor for it. I now use nanolex on wheels only.

in relation to branding of similar car care products, I agree and also disagree. There are lots of similar/ordinary products branded differently with little noticeable differences/results between products. However there are good products which deliver premium results, including nanolex and they aren't cheap. I'm a fan of carcareproducts at Five Dock. The guys know their products and as OCD as many of us. They are always open and keen to advise and share experiences. CCP also stock some really good stuff.

There are a lot of detailing professionals in the market today and many of them are online with plenty of before and after pictures. Do not be fooled by any of them nor be deterred from your own DIY. In dealing with a new/newish car like yours, the only difference between you and these 'experts' is the number of cars they have done to date. However once you have done a couple of paint prep and seal, you would feel as good as any other. With current-day tools and products, car detailing is really not difficult at all. Time remains a major factor of course! You should have a crack yourself and go see Pierre or Lucas at carcareproducts!
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2015, 04:36 PM   #14
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
IMO Nanolex is as good as promised but it is not an easy product to apply, especially if you aren't a regular/experienced DIY detailer. To get best results with Nanolex, paint correction and preparation is critical including claying, cutting and removing all previous paint applications with a good all purpose cleaner. Application of the nanolex surface cleaner isn't enough. The applicators for the expensive nanolex are no bigger than facial cotton pads. Hence applying nanolex over the whole car is time consuming.

I have 5 cars under my care in my family. I have used nanolex on 2 cars but soon realised that I'm too time poor for it. I now use nanolex on wheels only.

in relation to branding of similar car care products, I agree and also disagree. There are lots of similar/ordinary products branded differently with little noticeable differences/results between products. However there are good products which deliver premium results, including nanolex and they aren't cheap. I'm a fan of carcareproducts at Five Dock. The guys know their products and as OCD as many of us. They are always open and keen to advise and share experiences. CCP also stock some really good stuff.

There are a lot of detailing professionals in the market today and many of them are online with plenty of before and after pictures. Do not be fooled by any of them nor be deterred from your own DIY. In dealing with a new/newish car like yours, the only difference between you and these 'experts' is the number of cars they have done to date. However once you have done a couple of paint prep and seal, you would feel as good as any other. With current-day tools and products, car detailing is really not difficult at all. Time remains a major factor of course! You should have a crack yourself and go see Pierre or Lucas at carcareproducts!
Awesome response and information jaffa12. Your input is much appreciated.
I think I will try doing my 125i M Sport first before I tackle my new M235i which arrives late June.
I do have one more question which came to light last night. I was cleaning my 125i and discovered it has EXPEL paint protection film on at least the front bar. Do you know if you can you use Nanolex over XPEL film.
Cheers!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by webbit; 05-15-2015 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #15
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbit
Quote:

Awesome response and information jaffa12. Your input is much appreciated.
I think I will try doing my 125i M Sport first before I tackle my new M235i which arrives late June.
I do have one more question which came to light last night. I was cleaning my 125i and discovered it has EXPEL paint protection film on at least the front bar. Do you know if you can you use Nanolex over XPEL film.
Cheers!!!!!!!!!
Yes. You can do clay, seal, wax.

Only thing you can't technically do is polish as the film will heal itself so you are just removing material for no reason
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #16
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

TBH I'm unsure if the 2 products are compatible. I understand XPEL have their own sealants specific to their products. It's probably best to use their recommended sealant or equivalent. In respect to nanolex, removal of excess after application and curing is no simple task requiring some effort, especially if you have left it on for too long. On that reason alone, I would personally not apply nanolex on any film. Pls do check with the film experts/suppliers tho.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #17
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

My thought this morning was go for Opticoat Pro and then add XPEL over the top of it but only to the front apron. That way I still get the shine of the Opticoat with the added protection for stone chips and self healing to the most susceptible area of the car

Then damm the more I read on paint protection the harder my decision becomes on which product I should use. Cquartz, Opticoat Pro, Pika Pika Rain, Nanolex or XPEL Ultimate.

Maybe I should be asking which product NOT to use
Warranties also vary so do they reflect the products performance or just a safe fall for the distributor.

Has anyone tried doing the combination stated above? All comments appreciated!
      06-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #18
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Ok after some research and talking with an XPEL technician I have been informed that the XPEL film can NOT go over the top of Opticoat Pro as the Opticoat has to be removed for the proper adhesion of the XPEL film.

Can anyone recommend an installer of XPEL in Sydney or Central Coast NSW.