THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) OptiCoat

04-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

OptiCoat

Yesterday, a great local detailer, Marc Harris from AutoLavish, spent most of the day in my garage prepping and applying OptiCoat. He also carries CQuartz products, but not intending to start a debate here. I chose OC for durability.

The first good news is that he closely examined the car and took paint thickness readings. He was surprised and impressed at the quality of what is happening at Leipzig. The thickness was beyond what he sees on many competitive vehicles as well as some other BMWs, and the uniformity was very good. That is great news for all of us! From examining the car, he decided we only needed one step of polishing with the mildest polish, essentially leaving the clear thickness undiminished.

I am very pleased with the results. Some of what you see will be due to the polishing and the rest to the OptiCoat. I don't know how to split out their effects. But, in the end, the results are quite good and will last for many years. We did OC over the Xpel film (as the Xpel company had approved).

The paint has a greater sense of depth and the reflectivity/shine is apparent in the objects you can see reflected in the photos. The interesting part is that the surface doesn't feel exactly as you would expect based on the look. It is smooth, but not that super-slippery feel after some sealants.

The OptiCoat alone is $500.

Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #2
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Nice, considered opticoat myself, but the dealers here want about $1k. If I could get it done for $500 I would do it tomorrow. I don't really understand their reasoning for charging so much for a small vehicle that's brand new. If it was an older vehicle that needed an extensive amount of work, now that I could understand.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post
Nice, considered opticoat myself, but the dealers here want about $1k. If I could get it done for $500 I would do it tomorrow. I don't really understand their reasoning for charging so much for a small vehicle that's brand new. If it was an older vehicle that needed an extensive amount of work, now that I could understand.
Maybe it's the cost of shipping to Mars?

Seriously, if you mean a car dealer, they will always markup whatever the subcontractor charges them. Go to the OC website and shop their approved independent installers. Or, roadtrip/spaceshot back to Michigan?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

SunTek film and CQuartz were the first things I did to my car a couple days after taking delivery. It is a great investment if you plan to keep the car for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Been nearly a year since I had my new 228 opticoated. It still looks awesome, appears to be holding up really well. Best money I ever spent
      04-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Yesterday, a great local detailer, Marc Harris from AutoLavish, spent most of the day in my garage prepping and applying OptiCoat. He also carries CQuartz products, but not intending to start a debate here. I chose OC for durability.

The first good news is that he closely examined the car and took paint thickness readings. He was surprised and impressed at the quality of what is happening at Leipzig. The thickness was beyond what he sees on many competitive vehicles as well as some other BMWs, and the uniformity was very good. That is great news for all of us! From examining the car, he decided we only needed one step of polishing with the mildest polish, essentially leaving the clear thickness undiminished.

I am very pleased with the results. Some of what you see will be due to the polishing and the rest to the OptiCoat. I don't know how to split out their effects. But, in the end, the results are quite good and will last for many years. We did OC over the Xpel film (as the Xpel company had approved).

The paint has a greater sense of depth and the reflectivity/shine is apparent in the objects you can see reflected in the photos. The interesting part is that the surface doesn't feel exactly as you would expect based on the look. It is smooth, but not that super-slippery feel after some sealants.

The OptiCoat alone is $500.
For slickness cover with Opti-Seal.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m235i View Post
For slickness cover with Opti-Seal.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
Pinghacker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i

That VO is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinghacker View Post
That VO is awesome.
Wholeheartedly concur
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 12:13 AM   #10
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
this is the OptiCoat "Pro" vs the regular stuff?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #11
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caycep View Post
this is the OptiCoat "Pro" vs the regular stuff?
Yes, the "Pro" version.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #12
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Lol sigh. I was just gonna have someone put a nice coat of wax on mine but now i'm thinking this is a good way to "idiot proof" it from self inflicted scratches. The toyota I just chucked into a car wash every now and then lol.

Only question is that the nearest good detailer I can find is Modesta certified, not Opticoat Pro certified. I think the Opticoat Pro outfit is down in Santa Ana in Orange County...

it looks nice on your VO for sure. Then again, it looked amazing the last pic you posted before the opticoat so I can't tell the difference (i guess that is the point...)!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #13
vh2720
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230xi

I paid an Opticoat certified detailer $950 (SF Bay Area price) a couple weeks after I bought the car six months ago. It makes the car easy to wash. It doesn't idiot-proof the car though. I still got a couple small rock chips and a tiny scratch, but maybe I would have more without the Opticoat.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #14
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
The interesting part is that the surface doesn't feel exactly as you would expect based on the look. It is smooth, but not that super-slippery feel after some sealants.
Actually had this discussion with my detailer. I chose UKquartz with the same thoughts. It is pretty hydrophobic, but not slick to the touch. Sealants and other waxes will not stay on for more than a week or two at best, less if it rains.

Great protection, but I miss the slick feeling at times. Like M235 mentions, just apply a top coat of some sort and it will glow - but don't expect it to last all summer without reapplying.

Looking good though!
      06-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #15
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by caycep View Post
Lol sigh. I was just gonna have someone put a nice coat of wax on mine but now i'm thinking this is a good way to "idiot proof" it from self inflicted scratches. The toyota I just chucked into a car wash every now and then lol.

Only question is that the nearest good detailer I can find is Modesta certified, not Opticoat Pro certified. I think the Opticoat Pro outfit is down in Santa Ana in Orange County...

it looks nice on your VO for sure. Then again, it looked amazing the last pic you posted before the opticoat so I can't tell the difference (i guess that is the point...)!
Ceramic paint coatings will not protect against scratches, rock chips, or other sorts of impact related damage. Paint coatings provide a sacrificial barrier to protect the surface of your paint from environmental contaminates. They are very durable and provide much stronger protection compared to traditional waxes or sealants. Maintenance is also much easier as there is no need to wax the vehicle once a paint coating has been applied, and dirt washes away very easily. Please let me know if you've got any other questions regarding paint protection, or anything else detailing related, I am always happy to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
Actually had this discussion with my detailer. I chose UKquartz with the same thoughts. It is pretty hydrophobic, but not slick to the touch. Sealants and other waxes will not stay on for more than a week or two at best, less if it rains.

Great protection, but I miss the slick feeling at times. Like M235 mentions, just apply a top coat of some sort and it will glow - but don't expect it to last all summer without reapplying.

Looking good though!
CQuartz UK contains a high silica (quartz) content (~70%) which is not slick by nature, however it does repel water nicely and provides deep gloss and strong protection. For added slickness, the coating should be topped with CarPro Reload which contains a small concentration of silica (<5%) as well as added polymers which will provide a slick and glossy surface that also enhances water beading.

Reload is very easy to use - simply spray a small amount onto a microfiber towel, gently wipe it onto the surface, continue wiping gently until most of it has disappeared, then either flip to a clean side of the towel or use a 2nd towel to gently wipe the area and you're done. Very similar to using a quick detailer or spray wax.

let me know if you have any questions!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 11:25 PM   #16
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
For added slickness, the coating should be topped with CarPro Reload which contains a small concentration of silica (<5%) as well as added polymers which will provide a slick and glossy surface that also enhances water beading.

Reload is very easy to use - simply spray a small amount onto a microfiber towel, gently wipe it onto the surface, continue wiping gently until most of it has disappeared, then either flip to a clean side of the towel or use a 2nd towel to gently wipe the area and you're done. Very similar to using a quick detailer or spray wax.

let me know if you have any questions!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Very nice, thanks much!
      07-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #17
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
I had my jeep covered in Opticoat by a very well known and highly renowned/trained area detailer for the same reasons you did. Opticoat in theory is better and more resilient but it has not lasted and only lasted ~year I took my jeep offroad 6 months in some pretty thick overbrush and my paint came out unscathed where as others had some pretty bad trail rash so its hardness and scratch resistance should not be discounted...However its been two years now and my opticoat has all but failed, My detailer claims he's having a mess of "warranty" work now because of the opticoat failures.

I know how to wash a vehicle and use only the best soaps to make sure there were no ill affects. My dads car was coated with Cquartz Finest and OMG that coating is incredible! its not "permanent" like opticoat claims but so far 15months after coating his car still looks and beads like it did the day he got it home from the detailer. Its still as slick as could be!

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 03:54 PM   #18
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Sportstick I noticed the "orange peel" effect on your paint. No pun intended because your car is orange but I did notice my car having that as well, from the factory. Seems like all metallic-painted BMWs are coming with the orange peel effect doesn't it?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 04:10 PM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST1 View Post
Sportstick I noticed the "orange peel" effect on your paint. No pun intended because your car is orange but I did notice my car having that as well, from the factory. Seems like all metallic-painted BMWs are coming with the orange peel effect doesn't it?
LOL@"orange" peel....

This is an interesting subject as over the years, not everyone has agreed as to whether this is a good or bad thing. It is less than polished granite smooth, but others point out it does add some visual depth when present in small doses. I do know the OptiCoat installer measured the paint thickness and was surprised at how well the body had been painted, better than many other BMW series and other competitors. This effect is not that noticeable in person. But, I did get just the right angle above to capture it, didn't I??
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #20
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

looking good.
Appreciate 0