THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Detail that car

03-24-2015, 06:21 AM   #1
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Detail that car

So it seems winter is over, and spring is [almost] here. I decided to clean the dirt and smutz off the car, but it was still too cold to use the hose. I've been frequenting a touchless car wash in between storms to keep the salt off. One thing I noticed about those car washes is that they really do a poor job at cleaning the car and making it look good. It's a pretty powerful spray job but it has a hard time removing anything thats really layered on the paint.

I took the car into my garage, and used a spray bottle with a cap full of Meguiar's car wash liquid. I also had a bunch of 16x16" microfiber towels that I folded twice to create 4 usable squares on each side of the towels. I just worked my way from the top of the car to the bottom, sprayed generously, and used only used only each square once to not scratch the patch. If you careful this is a great way to conserve water, and give the car a little TLC wash.

I followed up with removing all the water on the car with separate microfiber towels, and let the car sit for 30 minutes or so. Then I started with a three stage polishing system from Meguiar's (Light Cut Polish, Glaze, and Carnauba Wax). I worked in sections on the car from the top down. I used Lake Country CCS 6.5" and 4" CCS Spot Buff dual action pads for my Porter Cable 7424XP. I used White pads for polish, gray pads for Glaze, and Blue Pads for wax.

I started with the roof of the car, and worked my way down one side of the car to the rear fender. Then worked my way from that rear fender to front fender of the car, repeating the process on the opposite side. Next I attacked the trunk lid, and hood panel still with the 6.5" pads. Then I changed to 4" Spot Buff pads and finished the small area of the front/rear bumpers, and went over the a-frames with the smaller pad There are ton of contours/body-lines which makes detailing a bit of a chore, but the 6.5 CCS pads contour very well over the lines you just have to work it. I repeated this whole basic process three times, first with the polish, then with the glaze, and financially with the wax. Between each phase a clean microfiber towels is used to buff out any remaining material from the car to reveal the finish. Each time a stage is completed, a sort of brilliance would appear from the paint under the fluorescent lightning. You also feel that the paint becomes cleaner/slippery in feel from polishing away contaminants from the clear, and adding in the glaze, and wax coats.

Nice Wax Job Rook!

Last edited by zipphreak; 03-24-2015 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #2
BMWFrenzy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 2 Series 228i Coupe

hahaha! that video! Nice wax.
Appreciate 0