BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
weikelei
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M-Sport

Building X5M. Need your opinions.

I am about to build the X5M and below are the details about it. This slot is scheduled to build in the 20th week. Around May10-17. Please share your opinions or concerns. Really appreciate it.

X5 M
Long Beach Blue
Mugello Red Full Merino Leather
Driver Assistance Plus
Executive Package
Aluminum Trace Trim
Parking Assistant
B&O sound System
Roof rails in Satin Aluminum
Satin aluminum line exterior trim
Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection
Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration (not sure about this, is it really useful?)
21" Style 612M wheels
BMW Maintenance Program Upgrade(not sure about this one either. Any suggestions on this?)

Last edited by weikelei; 03-20-2015 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Seems like a solid build. There aren't many options or packages on these cars, so you've pretty much selected everything worth having.

I'd only suggest getting the night vision if you're in an area that warrants it. I've added it to my recent cars owing to living in the Bay Area and dealing with fog and some dark roads. It's helped see things I normally couldn't see. Other than that it's probably not useful. I'd put money towards the B&O sound if it were me.
      03-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
weikelei
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Seems like a solid build. There aren't many options or packages on these cars, so you've pretty much selected everything worth having.

I'd only suggest getting the night vision if you're in an area that warrants it. I've added it to my recent cars owing to living in the Bay Area and dealing with fog and some dark roads. It's helped see things I normally couldn't see. Other than that it's probably not useful. I'd put money towards the B&O sound if it were me.
Forgot to add B&O sound system in this list. It is a must. Thank you for your suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weikelei View Post
I am about to build the X5M and below are the details about it. This slot is scheduled to build in the 20th week. Around May10-17. Please share your opinions or concerns. Really appreciate it.

X5 M
Long Beach Blue
Driver Assistance Plus
Executive Package
Aluminum Trace Trim
Parking Assistant
B&O sound System
Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration (not sure about this, is it really useful?)
21" Style 612M wheels
BMW Maintenance Program Upgrade(not sure about this one either. Any suggestions on this?)
I don't think I've seen a red interior with anything other than a black or white exterior. Make sure you like it.

The Night Vision seems like a gimmick, and may probably be more irritating than helpful especially if the technology isn't fully baked.

The BMW Apps/Enhanced USB/Bluetooth - what is this, a $800 option? You MUST get this just in case you get a new phone or to increase saleability in the future (unless you're leasing of course).

My .02
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ivert
Quote:

X5 M
Long Beach Blue
Driver Assistance Plus
Executive Package
Aluminum Trace Trim
Parking Assistant
B&O sound System
21" Style 612M wheels
I don't think I've seen a red interior with anything other than a black or white exterior. Make sure you like it.

The Night Vision seems like a gimmick, and may probably be more irritating than helpful especially if the technology isn't fully baked.

The BMW Apps/Enhanced USB/Bluetooth - what is this, a $800 option? You MUST get this just in case you get a new phone or to increase saleability in the future (unless you're leasing of course).

My .02
The enhanced Bluetooth option used to be something that could be coded, but with recent developments that might no longer be possible. Good to future proof the purchase.

I think a dark blue and a dark red compliment each other. With LBB and Mugello, both are very light. My personal opinion is that they clash and that's why I changed my order.
      03-21-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

According to others you are still able to code it..Maybe this chart might help on what enhanced will offer versus standard..

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 06:37 AM   #7
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
According to others you are still able to code it..
I think the speculation is that these deliveries will likely be on the "currently uncodeable" 55.1 or later version. There's enough functionality in this that it's worth the $500 MSRP add on.

I added it to mine, and will just remove the annoying cradle when it arrives... the ability to receive text messages alone is something that's worth it for me, and the bluetooth playlist/library browsing almost as valuable too.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
weikelei
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
I think the speculation is that these deliveries will likely be on the "currently uncodeable" 55.1 or later version. There's enough functionality in this that it's worth the $500 MSRP add on.

I added it to mine, and will just remove the annoying cradle when it arrives... the ability to receive text messages alone is something that's worth it for me, and the bluetooth playlist/library browsing almost as valuable too.
I am wondering how you will be able to remove the dock(cradle). Is it detachable?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #9
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am wondering how you will be able to remove the dock(cradle). Is it detachable?
No... There are some published steps on the regular forum on how to take the console apart though. Doesn't look too hard...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #10
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Hmm not worth $500 guys.. save the dough.. I just picked dup my X5 today without the enhanced bluetooth and I was able to stream music, even browse the music library on my iPhone (even though the attachment suggests we can't ). I could also utilize Siri to read my text and emails.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #11
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmm not worth $500 guys.. save the dough.. I just picked dup my X5 today without the enhanced bluetooth and I was able to stream music, even browse the music library on my iPhone (even though the attachment suggests we can't ). I could also utilize Siri to read my text and emails.
I don't entirely agree - I actually think this is one of the best value features.

- Browsing works via USB, but not via Bluetooth without this option
- Album art via Bluetooth
- Viewing text messages on iDrive is not possible without this, and I think that's invaluable when driving
- Dock thing is a useless waste of time
- Extra bluetooth mic (I believe on passenger side) apparently increases quality... unsure if that's true.

Some features I agree aren't worth it.... (although there are so few options on the M model they're all useful to someone) but when you're already in for $100K+ ~$400 isn't going to make much of a difference
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #12
Kzang
Major General
Rep

I am able to browse the library and see the album art without that option...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 04:55 PM   #13
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am able to browse the library and see the album art without that option...
Via bluetooth? How about text messages / notifications via the "Office" feature?

If so, then yeah - I totally agree that it's not worth that stupid dock thing....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #14
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

I guess I'm the only person who uses the dock? I'm waiting for iPhone 6/6+ adapters.

Just not a fan of cords all over the cabin.
      03-21-2015, 05:20 PM   #15
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I guess I'm the only person who uses the dock? I'm waiting for iPhone 6/6+ adapters.

Just not a fan of cords all over the cabin.
No, I use the dock. Being away from an urban area, the added range through the roof antenna is helpful. Would love to know why BMW is taking so long to produce an iPhone 6 adapter. No one has any idea when it'll be available. Hopefully it won't take two years like the iPhone 5 adapter did.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #16
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Via bluetooth? How about text messages / notifications via the "Office" feature?

If so, then yeah - I totally agree that it's not worth that stupid dock thing....
Nothing on the text messages but if you hold down the voice command for a few seconds then instead of BMW voice command, ( iPhone ) Siri takes over and reads all text and Emails for you.. I would think it would be a little difficult if not very unsafe to try and read text messages on the iDrive screen while driving.. So it would make sense for Siri to read them to you.

And I hate the phone cradle.. it renders the center console almost useless with that huge thing in the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #17
m5sdse63
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC CP

Very nice build.

I'd personally not get the night vision.
Enhanced USB I think is useful for the reasons mentioned above.
I'd love to see the blue/red combo in life as that's what I am also leaning towards.
I also wouldn't get the rear entertainment. Kids nowadays can have their own iPads.

2014 M6
2015 i3
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #18
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
No, I use the dock. Being away from an urban area, the added range through the roof antenna is helpful. Would love to know why BMW is taking so long to produce an iPhone 6 adapter. No one has any idea when it'll be available. Hopefully it won't take two years like the iPhone 5 adapter did.
Yeah, I'd consider the dock - but there's no adapter for my phone (iPhone 6+) so it's mostly frustration in the center console.

I think I may be more likely to use it now there's the Siri "eyes free" passthrough from the voice control button, which is a feature my 2014 X6 doesn't have....
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #19
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I'd consider the dock - but there's no adapter for my phone (iPhone 6+) so it's mostly frustration in the center console.

I think I may be more likely to use it now there's the Siri "eyes free" passthrough from the voice control button, which is a feature my 2014 X6 doesn't have....
To be honest, I'm tired of waiting on BMW to produce something that only requires a change in shape, as the connector is remaining the same. We pay $500 for this option, and they are lax in producing the tools needed to fully take advantage of it. If it isn't produced soon, I'm going to take a used iPhone 5/5s snap-in adapter, and cut a piece of ¼" plywood into the shape of an iPhone 5 with a cutout for the female end of an extension lightning cable to plug into the male end of the lightning connector in the snap-in adapter. I've read others have had positive results via this method. With the plywood, the adapter thinks a phone is snapped-in, and with the extension cable, you are able to connect any size iPhone 6 you wish. Where you place the phone is up to you. For me, being able to utilize the roof antenna makes a huge difference in reception.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #20
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
To be honest, I'm tired of waiting on BMW to produce something that only requires a change in shape, as the connector is remaining the same. We pay $500 for this option, and they are lax in producing the tools needed to fully take advantage of it. If it isn't produced soon, I'm going to take a used iPhone 5/5s snap-in adapter, and cut a piece of ¼" plywood into the shape of an iPhone 5 with a cutout for the female end of an extension lightning cable to plug into the male end of the lightning connector in the snap-in adapter. I've read others have had positive results via this method. With the plywood, the adapter thinks a phone is snapped-in, and with the extension cable, you are able to connect any size iPhone 6 you wish. Where you place the phone is up to you. For me, being able to utilize the roof antenna makes a huge difference in reception.
I don't believe there's any difference in just connecting your phone to the USB with the standard Apple cable.

The antenna connection, on iPhones, is not actually available via the dock or lightning connection. You actually benefit from this via induction from the backplate - so just resting your phone on a non-compatible dock insert with the USB cable connected to the armrest USB connector will have the same effect...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #21
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't believe there's any difference in just connecting your phone to the USB with the standard Apple cable.

The antenna connection, on iPhones, is not actually available via the dock or lightning connection. You actually benefit from this via induction from the backplate - so just resting your phone on a non-compatible dock insert with the USB cable connected to the armrest USB connector will have the same effect...
Thanks for the info. You've confirmed my underlying suspicion. I only briefly looked into modifying an older adapter, and questioned its feasibility, but hadn't researched it further, beyond initial online reports I read. I'm still hopeful we'll have a true iPhone 6 adapter in the U.S. soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #22
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Sweet build, I would keep the $500 upgrade, I have it and it's worth it.

Joe
Appreciate 0