XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

03-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Thinking about swapping your grille? This might help

I swapped out my grille last night. I had never done it before. Was able to tackle the project in less than 30 minutes. Wife didn't even know I was in the garage. Thought I'd share my experience.

I studied my new grille for a few minutes and practiced a few attack angles at getting at the clips from the front using a radiator hose removal tool. I just didn't feel very good about the way that tool was angled, so I made my own tool out of the hook portion of a commercial use coat hanger. Once I achieved what I believed to have been the perfect design to reach all clips, I then wrapped it in a healthy coating of electrical tape so that nothing got scratched.

End result came out perfect. Original grille did not get damaged or scratched in any way. Tabs are all in tact. My hands/wrists are not cut up, and I didn't even have to swear!

You don't need any sort of special lighting. I did mine nearly blind. You don't need to remove the four bolts at the top of the bumper. Just use your new grille as reference for where the clips are, use one hand for guidance to put your finger on the clip, and use the other hand to put the hook smack dab in the middle of the clip. You'll know when you seat the tool properly because it locks into the recess and won't wiggle back and forth. Pull straight down towards the ground on the tool to release the upper clips and straight up towards the sky to release the lower clips. Don't pull the hook at an angle. Gently wiggle the grille as you're pulling the hook, it will smoothly come uncliipped. Don't be afraid to tug on the grille a little. Grab the grille firmly, apply pressure to the tab on the clip with your hook, then wiggle and tug on the grille a little.

I started with the upper innermost clip, then worked my way across the top, then to the inside, then across the bottom, then lastly to the outside.

I didn't find it helpful to put my hand behind the bumper once the first grille was out. I simply used the tool on both grilles. It was very easy.

Here is the tool next to a dollar bill for scale:

Here's how to hold it:

Last edited by spoolinX1; 03-06-2015 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
PGZ11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335XI

good info, was trying to swap mine out and figured it would be a 20 minute job like on the 335, nope, gave up after half hour to think if I wanted to remove the bumper...looks like your way will work way better
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Bought a radiator hose removal tool for like $8 at a local auto parts store.

...5 minutes start to finish. It's a MUST if you're looking to do it quickly without beating up your hands.

Something like this...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/o...ntent=28030000
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

The radiator hose removal tool in the link you provided has a slightly different angle than the one I was attempting to use. Yours would definitely work better than mine.
Appreciate 0