THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning BMS JB4 & lapping

11-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Béhème
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

BMS JB4 & lapping

I intend to track my car regularly next summer. I used to be an avid time trials competitor and I’ve done a lot of lapping in the past but had drifted away from these, as I got into motorcycling for a while, but now I’m coming back to lapping.

I track-heat-cycled a square tire & wheel setup at the end of last summer and noticed a lot of wheel spin on corner exit, so I bought a M performance LSD which I have yet to install.

As there is never enough power, my next step is a tune. For the moment I just want to get all the power I can of a tune without necessarily going into the down & charge pipes and intercoolers.

I’m new to turbos, and I'm looking for the maximum consistent and repeatable power I can get out of a tune with 94 octane, and I’m looking at the BMS JB4.

I’ve perused the Burger site, and the information there is anything but clear except for car electronics nerd.

I understand the recent JB4s for the M235 include the FlexFuel add on connector.

For the purposes expressed above, would the EWG add on connector be of any use at all? It’s not a question of cost; I just don’t want to install something that is useless for what I intend to use it for and clutter up the engine compartment unnecessarily (and I hear the wastegate harness is difficult to access).

Am I wrong in that the EWG harness is required for Map 2? Anyway, can I use Map 2 without a downpipe or other mods to get consistent and repeatable power lap after lap?

All knowledgeable input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Beheme

I don't think m235i jb4 comes integrated with FF wires, they are an add on in the same way as EWG extra harness.

If have EWG and FF on higher boost maps you are less likely to get a problem of car going into limp mode due to AFR's going out of safe limits.

Having said that, I use maps 2,5 and 6 without FF and EWG harness but with sports cat DP. My car dyno'd on map6 380bhp and 450lbft of torque. Todate, with these numbers, my car goes down road at a v well already.

No issues but might be able to run higher boost targets with extra harnesses
      11-22-2014, 12:53 AM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Béhème, BMS hasn't decided whether to include the EWG/FF harness yet on the JB4 Stage 2.
You don't necessarily need the EWG/FF harness to run the EWG firmware, but if you want to maximize the tune capacity, those 2 harness will helps. EWG harness to control the Wastegate control on when to open to control the max boost and FF harness to control how much fuel going in to the motor in relative to the amount of boost so the engine doesn't run too lean.
Another consideration of mods if you are going to max out the boost, here are the list.
- Catless dp for faster spool up
- Chargepipe to avoid a blow up on the stock pipe due to higher boost and left you stranded
- FMIC, I know where you are probably never get really hot, but it does helps to maintain air temp going into the motor
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 05:01 AM   #4
Chris in Japan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i on order

I would definitely recommend the ER chargepipe if you are going to run higher boost on the track.

My stock cp blew right off the throttle body my first track day after installing my racing dynamics piggyback.

Downpipe (I run the bms downpipe with 200 cell sports cat) definitely helps spool up and lowers egt's which will allow you to run higher boost for longer without hitting limp mode.

Unfortunately I have no experience with jb4 so can't help with the harness questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
timsev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I ran the BMS Stage 1 this year on the track with an otherwise stock car and track tires and had no problems. Any more power (Stage 2) and the car needs an LSD, which you've taken care of. I had no issues at all except in 100' heat I could tell the boost dropped a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 05:57 AM   #6
Béhème
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Dew View Post
Beheme,I don't think m235i jb4 comes integrated with FF wires, they are an add on in the same way as EWG extra harness.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
Béhème, BMS hasn't decided whether to include the EWG/FF harness yet on the JB4 Stage 2.....
Thanks guys, you are right as I misread the product information on F-Series N55 JB4 Applications on the N54 TUNING website ( http://www.n54tuning.com/index.php?_...&productId=176 ).

''Note JB4_F30 shipments as of 11/15/2014 include the FlexFuel add on connector. This no longer needs to be purchased separately for these models. Also note the EWG add on connector remains optional and can be purchased separately for higher HP applications where direct EWG control is required.''

So it's only the F30 shipments that include the FF harness.

I guess I'll order the EWG and FF (& USB) just in case it's a ''safer'' installation....
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Beheme,

BMS are beta testing a new, EWG specific board. Once beta test phase is over, BMS will probably release an EWG specific JB4 which should include a simplier wiring harness. Might be worth asking the question to BMS about when will a dedicated EWG JB$ & harness be on sale.

PD
      11-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #8
Béhème
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Beheme,

BMS are beta testing a new, EWG specific board. Once beta test phase is over, BMS will probably release an EWG specific JB4 which should include a simplier wiring harness. Might be worth asking the question to BMS about when will a dedicated EWG JB$ & harness be on sale.

PD
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
Béhème
Private First Class
Rep

I'm still going to include them in my order, but I'd like to hear peoples comments as to weather the EWG & FF harnesses are of any use at all when running Map 1 (peak boost 12.5psi) ?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Béhème View Post
I'm still going to include them in my order, but I'd like to hear peoples comments as to weather the EWG & FF harnesses are of any use at all when running Map 1 (peak boost 12.5psi) ?
No benefit for map 1
Extra harnesses may future proof your jb4 install should you decide to add more hardware and access maps with more boost etc.
      11-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #11
ShlemonboostedM
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Dew
Beheme

I don't think m235i jb4 comes integrated with FF wires, they are an add on in the same way as EWG extra harness.

If have EWG and FF on higher boost maps you are less likely to get a problem of car going into limp mode due to AFR's going out of safe limits.

Having said that, I use maps 2,5 and 6 without FF and EWG harness but with sports cat DP. My car dyno'd on map6 380bhp and 450lbft of torque. Todate, with these numbers, my car goes down road at a v well already.

No issues but might be able to run higher boost targets with extra harnesses
380bhp at the wheels ?? With just dp and jb4 on what fuel ?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 02:42 AM   #12
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlemonboostedM View Post
380bhp at the wheels ?? With just dp and jb4 on what fuel ?
No, at the crank.
Shell V power nitro.
      11-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #13
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
It won't benefit you much on Map 1. But usually, it won't take long before you upgrade to be able to use Map 2.
I would just get it done right at the first time.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

As mentioned above the EWG will be useful once you are targeting higher than 12.5 psi.
It is not clear yet if EWG will be integrated in future JB4 releases or not.
And the FF wires are now included in the F series JB4 and do not need to be purchased directly.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys, you are right as I misread the product information on F-Series N55 JB4 Applications on the N54 TUNING website ( http://www.n54tuning.com/index.php?_...&productId=176 ).

''Note JB4_F30 shipments as of 11/15/2014 include the FlexFuel add on connector. This no longer needs to be purchased separately for these models. Also note the EWG add on connector remains optional and can be purchased separately for higher HP applications where direct EWG control is required.''

So it's only the F30 shipments that include the FF harness.

I guess I'll order the EWG and FF (& USB) just in case it's a ''safer'' installation....
Beheme,

My read of BMS website is FF wires are now standard for all EWG applications [not just F30].

Question would be if you were to specify optional extra EWG harness, will BMS pre-integrated into the harness or is it still separate and you have to integrate it yourself ??

May be worth asking BMS to clarify......

PD
      11-28-2014, 05:10 AM   #16
Béhème
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Beheme,

My read of BMS website is FF wires are now standard for all EWG applications [not just F30].

Question would be if you were to specify optional extra EWG harness, will BMS pre-integrated into the harness or is it still separate and you have to integrate it yourself ??

May be worth asking BMS to clarify......

PD
Here is Burger's response:

Hi,

F series JB4 comes with Flex Fuel harness already.
If you are just going to run map 1 then most likely you won't need it.
EWG wire has been released already. Any future updates are most likely going to be firmware updates.
EWG wire would be a separate add on wires.
Map 2 requires downpipes and 93 octane.

More info on the F series JB4 can be found here.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18588

Best,

Ando
Appreciate 0