Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
Chadfugi
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 ///M4 MG, SO Fully Loaded

Akrapovic full exhaust

So yesterday made my wait for my new MG/SO M4 even harder, I live here in Ut and had the pleasure of driving and hearing the new Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust for the new BMW F80 M3 + F82 M4. I will admit that like many of you I can find myself forming an opinion based solely on what I read and hear on forms just like this one. That is exactly what happened to me concerning the new exhaust from Akrapovic, I watched the teaser and the video that where released for this product and lets just say that for the price i was less than impressed and never thought that this product would be one I would drop that kind of money on (almost $7k w/diffuser). I thought it sounded way to tinny and almost like a Honda or something of that nature. All I knew was there was no way I wanted my new BMW to sound like that. Let me be the first to say I was WAY WRONG !!!!! After hearing this thing in person and driving it a little all of the exhaust notes that I disliked on the videos were the ones I loved the most in person. There are so many little pops and grumbles that make this thing sound alive and pissed off. I want to say that this thing is a work of art, it sounds amazing it looks amazing and man do I want one now. It has a real exotic pitch to it especial at high rpm's under a load. So I would like to say a HUGE Thank You to Wes Howell for letting me experience this beauty in person, it sure did change my opinion and unfortunately it will end up changing the balance in my checking account now as well !!! So lets remember take the time to do the research yourself, and make sure you hear these things in person before making your decisions and dropping some serious coin on after market goodies.

Oh and BTW to all of you who say the stereo in these cars isn't good I think you want to get your hearing checked... For a factory stereo this thing sounds amazing clean, crisp, and great lows... IMHO !
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
Meh. Wait and hear other alternatives before plunking down the dough. I drove it too. The akra is louder but it ain't any prettier sounding. C'mon Eisenmann, AWE, Meister...someone please take it to the next level
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Def excited to see what Eisenmann does

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
Chadfugi
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Meh. Wait and hear other alternatives before plunking down the dough. I drove it too. The akra is louder but it ain't any prettier sounding. C'mon Eisenmann, AWE, Meister...someone please take it to the next level
I agree this is the first one I've gotten to hear in person. I'm excited to hear the rest. The M performance exhaust from BMW sounds good on videos I've heard so far.
      08-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
Wes Howell
www.facebook.com/weshowellcreative
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopumpers View Post

The Akra aint prettier sounding than what? Than stock? How can you possibly be serious???? I don't understand....

To each his own I guess.

Was fun Chad! Looking forward to see your car here soon!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
The titanium does create a unique sound, I'll grant you that. For me, it just wasn't a very pleasant or inspiring noise. Obviously, sound preference is completely subjective.

Eisenmann and Meisterschaft worked wonders with the F1x turbo V8. My current hopes lie there.

The akra (as always) is extremely pretty.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
JDUni1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3, '12 135i (Sold)

Hi Chad, jealous you got to see Wes's car and hear the new Akra exhaust!
2015 Alpine White ///M3 | Sakhir Orange/Black Extended Merino Leather | 6MT | Lighting Package | Harmon Kardon | H&R Sport Springs (F32) | iND Cosmetic Treatment | M Performance Spoiler | 19" HRE 301M Frozen Red| Mode Carbon Trophy R1 Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Wes Howell
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopumpers View Post
The titanium does create a unique sound, I'll grant you that. For me, it just wasn't a very pleasant or inspiring noise. Obviously, sound preference is completely subjective.

Eisenmann and Meisterschaft worked wonders with the F1x turbo V8. My current hopes lie there.

The akra (as always) is extremely pretty.
Did you put load on the motor? Drive it hard? Did you open it up? Or just hear it at idle? There are only 2 systems in the states. Did you drive Alex's car?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Def excited to see what Eisenmann does
Yeah, I loved eisenmann's e9x systems and the drone on the louder freer setups typically doesn't bother me. That said I just got really spoiled with the e9x EAS exhaust mod - there was a group buy at one point for $280 I think - and it sounds fantastic. Subjective of course.

So I'm hoping EAS does an F8x exhaust mod! tom@eas when's it happening?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Yeah, I loved eisenmann's e9x systems and the drone on the louder freer setups typically doesn't bother me. That said I just got really spoiled with the e9x EAS exhaust mod - there was a group buy at one point for $280 I think - and it sounds fantastic. Subjective of course.

Def PM Tom, ill also ask him when I go there monday

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #11
Wes Howell
Rep

FWIW I totally agree that exhaust notes are subjective - I get it. Just interested if Hoopumpers drove an F80/F82 with this exhaust before forming such a strong opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #12
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Thank you for the review and firsthand insight. Many probably won't have a chance to hear it before ordering.

But for me...Had a Dinan FFE on my last I6t N54 and it sounded wonderful, so much better than stock or even the BMW PE that was available as an upgrade. It will only be a matter of time, I'll wait for those guys to see what they will come up with. 7k is a bit steep for my pockets, though they do fine jewelry like work.

Last edited by shortseller; 08-23-2014 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #13
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

Quote:

On e92 exhaust, it had exhaust gas always going through muffled area.
So doing this exhaust mod made improvement on sound volume.

On f80 exhaust, it has two path (direct exit and rerouted to muffled area) where gas can go before exiting. You can just configure valve flap so that gas always exit directly. Takes 5 minutes to do it and it will make your exhaust loud on every rev range.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #14
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215 View Post

On f80 exhaust, it has two path (direct exit and rerouted to muffled area) where gas can go before exiting. You can just configure valve flap so that gas always exit directly. Takes 5 minutes to do it and it will make your exhaust loud on every rev range.
Is that the same as configured in sport plus for engine setting?
      08-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #15
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

OMG, I can't believe I've been missing your build thread, EPIC! It's basically a manual for what I'm going to do. Thanks man, awesome!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #16
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Is that the same as configured in sport plus for engine setting?
It is same if you are at full throttle in sport+ mode, but there are huge difference otherwise. For example, when you are cruising or lightly applying throttle, you barely hear any exhaust (other than fake active sound) even in sport+ mode.
With this mod, you will hear more exhaust note in any situation even when going very slowly in parking lot. It definitely makes car sound more lively and sporty.
Only downside to this mod is that it adds some drone in some situation. But if minor drone is not a problem for you, you will love this mod.

Quote:
OMG, I can't believe I've been missing your build thread, EPIC! It's basically a manual for what I'm going to do. Thanks man, awesome!
Thanks! I just finished doing this valve flap mod again as my exhaust started to develop metallic rattle noise. Disabling this valve flap controller will fix that annoying metallic rattle noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #17
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Howell
FWIW I totally agree that exhaust notes are subjective - I get it. Just interested if Hoopumpers drove an F80/F82 with this exhaust before forming such a strong opinion.
Yes, I drove it. It wasn't bad...it just wasn't what I was looking for. It's only my opinion. I haven't heard any other systems yet, so who knows...maybe this is as good as it gets for the f8x. I hope not though.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #18
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is same if you are at full throttle in sport+ mode, but there are huge difference otherwise. For example, when you are cruising or lightly applying throttle, you barely hear any exhaust (other than fake active sound) even in sport+ mode.
With this mod, you will hear more exhaust note in any situation even when going very slowly in parking lot. It definitely makes car sound more lively and sporty.
Only downside to this mod is that it adds some drone in some situation. But if minor drone is not a problem for you, you will love this mod.
Had my exhaust flap disconnected on my previous BMW, liked what it did. Do you have a DIY post for the f8x disconnect? Or is it just a simple solenoid disconnect? Thanks for the help.
      08-24-2014, 12:34 AM   #19
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Had my exhaust flap disconnected on my previous BMW, liked what it did. Do you have a DIY post for the f8x disconnect? Or is it just a simple solenoid disconnect? Thanks for the help.
It is fairly simple. You just have to unplug valve cable when it is on open position.
When unplugging cable, there is small clip on top part where you have to press down to disconnect.

Sometimes my valve remains open when car is off. Sometimes it remains closed. You just have to play around.

Finish the job by wrapping connectors with high temp electrical tape.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 04:36 AM   #20
Hobbination
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

There isn't a sound on earth worth 7 grand, especially when were talking about pipes and exhaust... If I could hear Scarlett Johansson, ok we have a case but that's it...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 06:00 AM   #21
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbination View Post
There isn't a sound on earth worth 7 grand, especially when were talking about pipes and exhaust... If I could hear Scarlett Johansson, ok we have a case but that's it...
And yet, Akrapovic finds plenty of customers for these and even more expensive exhaust systems...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #22
Chadfugi
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbination
Hahaha and even she would have to be really "convincing"..... 😜