BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

08-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Post UK i3 test drive

By way of background, I had no real interest in electric cars until around 3 weeks ago.

I first drove an electric car around 3 years ago - the Tesla Roadster, based on the Lotus Elise. I recall thinking it was very fast and smooth but heavy. This negated the key benefit of the Lotus type car. It was also very overpriced at £100,000.

I next drove the BMW i8 hybrid 2-3 weeks ago, and ordered one. See separate thread in i8 forum.

After ordering the i8, I immediately had a test drive in the i3 RX version (range extender). This version adds a very reasonable £3,000 to the price.

To my eyes it looks great from the rear, good from the sides, and ugly from the front. However, my son thought it the best looking BMW at the dealer, other than the i8. My wife and daughter just thought the i3 looked "nice". So, opinions will vary.

The RX version has a tiny petrol engine that never drives the wheels (hence not a hybrid), but can be used to charge the batteries. This effectively gives the car greater (but not unlimited) range, instead of the normal 100 mile range of electric only. The penalty is higher CO2 and 250kg weight (standard car is just 1,195kg). I understand that the petrol engine can only maintain charge up to around 50mph.

The i3 has a lot of front occupant space, good rear space for 2 passengers, and a small boot. It is extremely airy inside, and is a very quiet car.

The car accelerated well but not as quickly as I was expecting - I probably had unrealistic expectations after the i8, even in its pure e-drive mode. Acceleration and overtaking were however much quicker than the average city runabout, and of course the instant and linear torque makes overtaking a pleasure.

The car is near silent at all times, and very smooth. It is extremely calming and relaxing to drive - just like the i8 in e-drive.

The turning circle is excellent, extremely good in fact. The i3 has an option for an auto-park system (car parallel parks itself) but I did not test it.

It corners fairly flatly, thanks no doubt to its extremely low centre of gravity. It understeers easily when pushed. The i3 is rear wheel drive.

The i3 is a complete pleasure to drive...very nice indeed. Extremely easy too, as the throttle is so precise and immediate.

Regenerative braking is very strong, but only took me 5 seconds to get used to. My wife however never did get used to it during her (quite short) drive. I did not dislike the regenerative braking in any way whatsoever, and in fact preferred it to a normal car. I rarely used the brakes themselves during the test drive, when driving normally (vs quickly). The accelerator pedal was the only one needed for most driving, making the car even easier and more relaxing to drive.

The £30k price tag of the basic car seems high, and yet when you drive it and see the technology used, it seems quite a fair price. The car has an aluminium chassis with carbon fibre passenger cell, just like the i8! Astonishing at this price range!

It is a quality car, and feels it. This is not your average city runabout in terms of construction, feel, materials, or the way it drives. It will also feel perfectly at home at motorway speeds, and I did it to around 70mph.

This explains the low weight of the car, and why it drives so well. The chassis is stiff and the car feels like a quality build. The interior feels "lightweight" but not cheap. Lots of "hippy" reclycled materials are used in the i3 interior (unlike the i8), but they don't detract from the car at all - unless you opt for the (IMHO) stupid wooden panel on the dash.

Overall, the i3 feels like a proper electric car that you will enjoy driving - more than a petrol or diesel city runabout. It feels much nicer to drive than any conventional fuel city runabout car, and has a very positive effect on the mood of the driver (extremely relaxing and calming). It is electric done right. I was impressed enough that I am considering replacing my diesel Landcruiser with a non-RX version.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

BMW i3 review update

I borrowed an i3 REx for 4 days, and therefore had the opportunity to test it very extensively. I will not repeat my comments from the initial post in this thread, but will add my further thoughts.

The i3 was a relaxing car, with great ride quality and impeccable road manners and handling. Being rear wheel drive, lightweight, 50:50 weight distribution and with an extremely low centre of gravity does that for a car

Torque and acceleration are instant and constant. It moves off so quickly that very few cars will beat it in the Traffic Lights GP IIRC BMW state it accelerates faster 0-30mph than the M5.

In fact, if it had wide tyres and bigger brakes, it would be a very capable little sports car.

It corners fairly flatly, thanks no doubt to its extremely low centre of gravity. It understeers easily when pushed, and the narrow tyres do limit how strong the braking is. Throttle response is excellent, and feels scalpel precise.

It is by far the best super-mini class car I have driven, and a complete pleasure to be behind the wheel of.

The loaned car was full of gadgets. Too many to list, but the auto park deserves a mention. It was scary sitting there as the i3 parallel parked itself in very tight spaces, but strangely fascinating.

I also tested the voice recognition, but that was absolutely terrible. The built in concierge service was good though.

My family found that we could in fact manage with the small boot space. Interior occupant space is of course excellent, and the car feels much bigger inside than it looks on the outside - tardis-like in fact Sadly without the tardis sound effects though

I range tested the car on a long trip, driving it fairly hard and not at all economically. It had 4 occupants and air conditioning running. This was the heavier (REx) variant and I calculated that it would do at least 79 miles under those conditions. The lighter i3 (BEV) would manage more. This is sufficient for me.

I remain amazed that a car in this bracket has an aluminium chassis with carbon fibre body, and composite body panels. Astonishing!

After 4 days, I really begrudged having to return the i3 and driving my Landcruiser home. So I ordered a new i3 for my wife
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

I saw in another post you mentioned test driving a prius as well.

Do you have a comparison anywhere I could take a look at? I have a Prius as well so I'd be really interested to hear a review of the car from that perspective...

thank you!
      08-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Nissan Leaf test drive

I had a test drive in a Nissan Leaf.

Initial impressions were very positive. The car looked "cute", especially its light pastel blue paint. Not a car for me, but good for my wife.

Most importantly, the boot was very big and appeared to be double the size of the i3's boot! We already have concerns about the i3's boot space, but the Leaf would have no issues whatsoever. Having 3 rear sets was also a big plus point for the Leaf.

The interior however is nowhere the quality of the BMW, and could fairly be described as cheap and tacky.

The next big positive was the price and availability. Available 4 weeks from ordering, and without even asking, the salesman said Nissan would give a £4,000 discount from list price.

In a similar spec to the basic i3 (Leaf Acenta - the third of 4 specs), the Leaf would cost £19,500 on the road versus the i3 at £25,000 on a like for like basis. That is a huge saving and explains why the Leaf is the market leader for small electric cars.

So, we set off on the test drive with a very positive view of the Leaf.

For a modern electric car, the foot operated parking brake appeared an odd anomaly. The dash was slightly obscured by the wheel, but not fatally so. More annoying was the pointless gimmicky information displayed on the dash. A huge portion of the dash is used to show a battery temperature gauge. Why? The car should monitor and manage that aspect itself, and I believe it is because the Leaf has no active cooling of the batteries - unlike the i3. Similarly, there is a gimmicky tree that grows as you save CO2

Driving it was an experience.

I could feel every kilogram of the Leaf's lardy body. It is 1,493 kg compared with the i3's 1,195kg but the difference feels much greater.

The chassis is utterly inert and rolls around slowly as you corner. Acceleration is terrible, other than perhaps 0-30. It is utterly and completely horrible to drive, and was so unenjoyable that if I had driven the Leaf first, I would never have even looked at another electric car. I hated driving the thing. Driving a Leaf might well help save the planet, but I felt my suffering would be too high a price to pay

Steering is poor. Not only is there no feedback (like most modern cars), but the gearing is so low that it takes so many turns that you feel you could be driving a lorry. The lorry might well be nippier though

The rear feels claustrophobic despite having plenty of leg and headroom. The ride was jarring and unpleasant over poor roads.

I would never buy the Leaf, despite its clear financial benefits. My wife did not dislike how it drove at all. But even as a car for her, I would sometimes have to drive the thing...and I hated it. It was the worst car I have driven in many years.

It is pity that the leaf is the market leader for small electric cars, as this means the majority of such drivers will think this is what electric cars are like. The bar has been set low...very low indeed.

It is no surprise customers can receive a Leaf just 4 weeks after ordering, and that Nissan are throwing £4,000 at customers to take these cars off their hands.

Other than being electric, there is simply no common ground between the i3 and Leaf. I could happily drive an i3 as my daily car - it was so enjoyable. The Leaf however is a car I never want to drive or ride in again.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Toyota Prius mini-review

I had a test drive of the Toyota Prius at the weekend.

The car is beginning to look a little dated now, but is not offensive looking and no worse than the average such car. Interior space is very good and the boot is large.

Shutting the rear hatch causes a lot of flex in the roof, showing that the car is not very rigid at all.

Sitting in the back is comfortable and not at all claustrophobic, like the Leaf. Ride quality is good.

The Prius also had a foot operated parking brake like the Leaf, which seems like a throwback in a modern car. The interior is of fair quality, and only seems a little cheap - unlike the very cheap feeling Leaf.

The car is quicker to accelerate than the Leaf, yet is fairly slow and feels lethargic. It also feels heavy and fairly inert, but not to the extent that I would hate driving it. The steering however is extremely vague, as it is very low geared. I hated that.

The car can barely move on electric power alone, and quickly asks for combustion assistance. It also seems to only have a 2-3 mile electric range.

The Prius is similarly priced to the i3.

Overall, the car was unimpressive and I would certainly not wish to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry x5love, but it is my honest appraisal
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Sorry x5love, but it is my honest appraisal
No need to apologize!!!

Thanks for the info.

My major qualm with the prius (aside from it's lethargy) it the "fake" feeling I get from all the weight reducing materials. the doors, the interior finish... everything feels like it's made out of cheap plastic to keep the car light.

i'm constantly worried about banging something onto the door as i'm exciting the car in fear of getting scratches all over the plastic.

do you get this feeling with the i3?

(as you can tell i'm very interested in making a swap...)
      08-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The i3 is made much more of lightweight materials than the Prius, but they do have a quality feel to them. I suspect some of the plastic is not as strong as it could be, but nothing felt cheap, or tacky (like the Leaf did). The interior feels significantly better quality than a Prius.

I strongly recommend you test drive it. You will know if it is for you. I would describe it as a "driver's car", that rewards those who like to "feel" the car and push it.

The doors and hatch feel substantial though, and not "light". I know that is surprising and unexpected, but it is how they feel.

Its biggest potential weakness versus the Prius is its limited range. If that matters to you, the i3 will not suit you.

Last edited by JasH; 08-28-2014 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: Punctuation
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The exterior body panels on the i3 are a plastic chosen because it is lighter, and won't rust, or dent from a door ding which is more common in a city environment than maybe elsewhere. But, with the frame being made out of CFRP, the whole thing is quite rigid. The doors and hatch sound solid when you close them just don't look at the doors when you slam them...the plastic panels do move a bit!

You have to look at and drive the i3 for awhile to appreciate the little touches.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 S20d

Great review Jash! Thanks.
How about the range extender function? Cause not much thing's we know about it
How it works?
Can you switch off?
Is it noisy?
How much fuel you need for every 60 miles?
is this option worthy for a city car use?
Please tel us more about it
Regards?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Xeins

The i3 REx I had was of course a UK model, so others may differ.

The REx function/motor could be switched off fully, but when the battery depleted to a very low level (about 5 miles I think, when I noticed it), it turned on by itself. It can also be made to maintain charge at anything below 75% battery. All this via the I-drive control.

It is quiet, but you can hear it. It is louder in the rear of the car, but no more than any petrol car - if not quieter than most.

I cannot comment on fuel usage as I barely used it. I planned on buying the BEV car, which I did.

Only you can decide if it is worth it, and how much range you require, and how much peace of mind you need. The trade off is a heavier car (I HATE that), that is slower and slightly worse handling, with higher maintenance and running costs.

The i3 does a great job of calculating available range as you drive, and whether you can reach your destination, so I had little need for REx.

I would never buy any i3 if it were my only car though, even the REx.

It is a tough decision though, for all of us first time electric car buyers.

Good luck!

Jas
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

When the i3 is tested in the USA, when the REx is running, the EPA says 39mpg (US), or about 47mpg (Imperial). I would expect the REx to be essentially identical other than the control logic and the different fuel tank sizes between the USA and the European (World) version.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #13
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

So, if you stop the car can you use the range extender petrol fuel to recharge the battery system?
In theory, if you have a rechargeable system you should be able to recharge for ever your electric power system?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

This is not true...once the battery level gets to a fairly low level, the REx will turn on automatically, but it will also turn itself off once that level is gained again. IOW, no, the REx will not recharge the batteries to their full state, only to a about 5-6%, then shut off. And, if the batteries get low enough, and you are using more power than the REx can provide, the car will go into a reduced power mode - you can keep going, but at reduced speed and without heating or a/c until the load drops and the REx can begin to recharge them. The REx is a 34Hp engine...and, if you run out of batteries, you're running on whatever electricity that 34Hp engine can produce. With good planning, and understanding, you can just keep going adding fuel about once an hour, but not if you are stressing the thing once the batteries are almost used up.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #15
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes indeed, that is correct. This means in practice, that if you are going on a long trip, then on a UK car you would activate the REx engine at 75% battery and set it to "maintain charge".

The engine will do its best, but its 34Hp means it will constantly drain battery if you are, for example, travelling at speed. I understand it will manage to maintain battery only up to about 50mph.

Perfectly fine for extended city driving, but not at all good enough for a long motorway (freeway) journey IMHO. It really is not a car for very long journeys, and nor was it designed to be.

It is a great car when used for its designed purpose

I am surprised though that BMW do not allow the engine to charge the batteries above their level (rather than maintain charge), where power permits. And to charge the batteries when the car is parked. That would have been useful when stopping for a break on a long journey.

It would be inefficient of course, but useful.

These are just some of the reasons I went for the BEV version.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #16
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

So, if you thinking on using the i3 as a city car, forget the REX version?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #17
mindmachine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 BMW IX iDrive50, 23 Tesla X

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
I had a test drive of the Toyota Prius at the weekend.

The car is beginning to look a little dated now, but is not offensive looking and no worse than the average such car. Interior space is very good and the boot is large.

Shutting the rear hatch causes a lot of flex in the roof, showing that the car is not very rigid at all.

Sitting in the back is comfortable and not at all claustrophobic, like the Leaf. Ride quality is good.

The Prius also had a foot operated parking brake like the Leaf, which seems like a throwback in a modern car. The interior is of fair quality, and only seems a little cheap - unlike the very cheap feeling Leaf.

The car is quicker to accelerate than the Leaf, yet is fairly slow and feels lethargic. It also feels heavy and fairly inert, but not to the extent that I would hate driving it. The steering however is extremely vague, as it is very low geared. I hated that.

The car can barely move on electric power alone, and quickly asks for combustion assistance. It also seems to only have a 2-3 mile electric range.

The Prius is similarly priced to the i3.

Overall, the car was unimpressive and I would certainly not wish to buy one.
You apparently are not talking about a plugin Prius as it has about 13 miles electric range and can do 62 MPH in full electric.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 02:00 AM   #18
Matt01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Lux

It's also worth mentioning the price of insurance, I was massively surprised. It was £150 pa (i3 BEV), vs the £300 I pay for a mini, and £100 pa less than a leaf. Obviously car insurance isn't really the be al and end all, but it helped with my man maths!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 10:24 AM   #19
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Xeins, in my opinion, yes. For a pure city car the BEV is better.

Mindmachine, yes I reported on the Prius, not the plug in Prius. I had asked for the plug in car to test drive, but the dealer sold it the day before my drive However, he did state that it was dynamically the same, except for having a longer electric range and being heavier. Everything else I wrote should still be the same. It really has not got enough power (bhp) to drive all electric in actual use. I do not believe the claim it can drive 62mph in full electric for a second. Toyota make the same claim for the normal Prius, and it uses combustion engine assistance to do that.

Matt, that is interesting. Sounds great! I had not checked insurance yet myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #20
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Post James May's new i3

Full article

Copy pasted below:

James May on: his new BMW i3

I am very, very excited about my new electric BMW i3. 
In the interests of accurate journalism, I ought to point out that it’s still not here, despite what I said a month or two back, but that’s probably because it’s being recharged somewhere on the way from Germany. Badoom tsch!

But I’m still very excited. Why, though? Why would I be so sleepless over a car that’s going to traumatise me with this new syndrome of ‘range anxiety’, a very polite name for ‘battery tyranny’? Why, when I’ve recently driven La Ferrari LaFerrari 
– a car that harnesses the wonder of electricity in a very intelligent and sustainable way – am I worked 
up about humming around in an overpriced battery-powered aircon unit? It troubles me.

I’m taking a lot of stick about this car. A number of people have pointed out that buying an electric car but continuing to work on Top Gear is somehow not very ecological. But who said it was? I’m not interested in the ecology, I’m buying it because I’m a car enthusiast, and I’m really not going to sleep better in the knowledge that Nick Clegg is pleased with me. Quite the opposite, to be honest. Doesn’t explain why I’m jumpin’ about it, though.

Someone on Twitter was also having a pop at 
my credentials as a car fan. How could I deny the passion of driving, they asked?

Well, look. There’s more than one way to be excited by cars. I love daft supercars, but I also like 
a Rolls-Royce Ghost for its serenity and sense of detachment. A whisper-quiet electric car may expose a new facet to this thing that used to be called ‘motoring pleasure’. We’ll have to see.

I’ve said it before, but the electric car thing is a bit of a public experiment, and I’m keen to take part in it. But, having said that, I never got very excited about taking part in experiments in the chemistry lab at school, except the one where I heated up Clive Kingston’s metal ruler in a bunsen burner and then left it on his desk. So that still doesn’t explain it.

What intrigues me is that the electric car has been around almost as long as the car itself. Even within my own lifetime, it’s been kicking around on the 
back burner (an analogy that needs work, because obviously it would be on an electric ceramic hob) 
in the form of milk floats and meals-on-wheels delivery vans. But I never considered anything like that for a moment.

But all of a sudden, an electric car 
is a bit cool. Why? I suppose because the environmental pretence makes it quite fashionable. Driving an electric car is being the change you want to see in the world, or whatever hipsters say, and sneaking around town in complete silence, mowing down unsuspecting pedestrians, places you in that sector of society 
that embraces change instead of resisting it. 
It’s the fuzzy edge, the avant garde. And that’s 
me. You should see some of the shapes I throw 
out on the floor.

But there’s something else. For decades, an electric car was simply that – a car powered by a useless battery and an electric motor, but in every other respect just like a car. The only other thing anyone ever recharged was a toothbrush.

Now, though, we recharge everything, even vacuum cleaners, so it seems perfectly humdrum. Not only that, the act of plugging in your car has become part of the culture of being connected. It’s not just about electricity, it’s about intelligent devices.

To put it another way, an electric car used to be like Richard Hammond. You fed him some baked beans, and he carried on being another irritating Brummie bloke. Now it’s more like Professor Brian Cox. You ply him with exotic French wines, and he explains stuff about quantum physics.

This, I’ve now realised, is what it’s all about. I’m 
sad enough to sleep with the i3 order form next to 
my bed, and looking at it last night, I noticed that 
I’d held back on posh trim and phat alloys, and spent all my money on things like satnav, jam assist, driving assistant plus, internet capability, online entertainment, smartphone compatibility, DAB, and so on and so on. I can play computer Battleships in a traffic jam and watch YouTube clips from Battle of Britain in the privacy of my own car.

That’s why it seems to be, suddenly, a thing of wonder. It’s not really a car at all. It’s a giant iPad. Being a car is just one of its apps.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #21
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I test drove a Tesla S recently. I thought it to be another "great electric car", alongside the i3.

My Tesla S review

Last edited by JasH; 09-08-2014 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: Added link to Tesla review
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #22
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

The dealer gave us an i3 for a few days this week - now I have ordered a BEV. Jas, thank you for your reviews and I agree with everything you said, especially about it being a very relaxing and calming experience. Wonderful car and can't wait to be charging it in my garage.
Appreciate 0