European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f80 m3 on radar

Sold my car should I now buy an m3?

Hey guys, I would like to ask for some opinions from current f8x owners about the new car. I just sold my r8 and now I don't know to do. Buy a Porsche c2s and keep my dd or get rid of my dd and stick with one car an m3. I can't seem to find an m3 to test drive but once I do I'm worried that a short dealership test drive will not be enough to see if the m3 is the right car for me.

I previously owned a couple e92's and e46 and an e36 and I have a long history with m cars however I'm not fully convinced of the idea of a turbocharged m3. I had a 2007 tuned 335 and that car did nothing for me. It had little to do with the chassis/suspension, as it did with the engine. After getting used to the newfound low end torque I was missing in my previous m3's the engine started to bore me. It just didn't have that visceral feel and response of the m engines I was used to.

I guess I would value the opinions of past e9x e46 owners the most. Is the engine exciting? I know the torque is nice to have but how does the engine feel in respect to the e9x and more importantly how does the engine make you feel compared to the e9x's.

Any thoughts???
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

why did you sell the R8? Was it a V8 or V10?

Having owned an e46 and e92, I think you will feel slightly disappointed in the F8X engine if you're looking for a visceral, soulful engine that provides a top-end rush. I also agree with you that 335i is fun for a while b/c of the silky smooth torque but it still feels like an "everyday" car if you will. The F8X just felt like a much faster version of that...no top end rush. The rpm window of punch/ferocity/noise feels small, maybe ~4k to 5.5k. Yes it's fast throughout the entire rpm range but it just felt very vanilla.

To be fair I also wasn't a big fan of the E92's lack of low end torque either. I think the e46 had just enough torque to be flexible around town but had the zing on the top-end to make you wet your pants everytime you explored the top of the 8k rpm range. I could care less about how fast a car is (as long as it's respectable). What I do care about is how it makes me feel when I go fast.

I'm sure many will disagree with me - but that was my experience albeit it was a short test drive and others have commented that the F8x M3 grows on you. I take it you've driven some pretty special cars in your life so your bar for cars that feel special to you is probably going to be difficult to meet. Just my hunch.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
why did you sell the R8? Was it a V8 or V10?

Having owned an e46 and e92, I think you will feel slightly disappointed in the F8X engine if you're looking for a visceral, soulful engine that provides a top-end rush. I also agree with you that 335i is fun for a while b/c of the silky smooth torque but it still feels like an "everyday" car if you will. The F8X just felt like a much faster version of that...no top end rush. The rpm window of punch/ferocity/noise feels small, maybe ~4k to 5.5k. Yes it's fast throughout the entire rpm range but it just felt very vanilla.

To be fair I also wasn't a big fan of the E92's lack of low end torque either. I think the e46 had just enough torque to be flexible around town but had the zing on the top-end to make you wet your pants everytime you explored the top of the 8k rpm range. I could care less about how fast a car is (as long as it's respectable). What I do care about is how it makes me feel when I go fast.

I'm sure many will disagree with me - but that was my experience albeit it was a short test drive and others have commented that the F8x M3 grows on you. I take it you've driven some pretty special cars in your life so your bar for cars that feel special to you is probably going to be difficult to meet. Just my hunch.

My r8 was a 2011 v10 coupe and I wanted to sell before the warranty expires next year. Plus I put on a good amount of miles on it and someone offered a very fair price.

Before the r8 I briefly owned a 2010 gt3 which I sold and made some money on. Before that I owned a 2009 carrera s and a 2011 m3 and a few other toys. So yes I've been quite spoiled and fortunate. Now I'm getting married, looking to buy a bigger house and settle down. I've been eying the new m3 but a bit hesitant to go back to a turbocharged motor.

My r8 revved to 8700 and has amazing torque all over the rev range. I know in going to miss that car and now I have no idea what to do. I love the driving dynamics of the new 991 but I need back seats.

It's unfortunate to hear your comments about it feeling like a more powerful 335. That was what I was worried about.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

it pretty simple, where the F80 shines the E9x falls and vice versa.

the E9x shines in the sound department, and feeling of that rush to red line.
the F80 shines with more better daily driving, and more torque engine.

both of them have trade offs, and both of them are fun cars.

what do you value more is the question
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3guy3 View Post

I'd agree with this. It would be nice if we could have the best of both worlds but the reality is we can't.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I value both. I want the torque, sound, feel, soul and characte with a useable back seat. I guess I just need to drive the m3 and see what it's all about. Unfortunately I'm talking to an old geezer SA at a southern cali dealership and I don't think he'll be too happy with me pushing the car. Anyone know a good dealership in so cal where I can drive it hard without getting yelled at?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
M3guy3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3OW View Post
I value both. I want the torque, sound, feel, soul and characte with a useable back seat. I guess I just need to drive the m3 and see what it's all about. Unfortunately I'm talking to an old geezer SA at a southern cali dealership and I don't think he'll be too happy with me pushing the car. Anyone know a good dealership in so cal where I can drive it hard without getting yelled at?
Drive both cars.

and keep in mind, if you like the E9x more. You can always mod it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 02:55 AM   #8
savaho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Panamera Turbo S?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 04:36 AM   #9
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
My r8 was a 2011 v10 coupe and I wanted to sell before the warranty expires next year. Plus I put on a good amount of miles on it and someone offered a very fair price.

Before the r8 I briefly owned a 2010 gt3 which I sold and made some money on. Before that I owned a 2009 carrera s and a 2011 m3 and a few other toys. So yes I've been quite spoiled and fortunate. Now I'm getting married, looking to buy a bigger house and settle down. I've been eying the new m3 but a bit hesitant to go back to a turbocharged motor.

My r8 revved to 8700 and has amazing torque all over the rev range. I know in going to miss that car and now I have no idea what to do. I love the driving dynamics of the new 991 but I need back seats.

It's unfortunate to hear your comments about it feeling like a more powerful 335. That was what I was worried about.

It doesn't feel like a powerful 335i at all .I've owned a 335i, E90 M3 and now the F80 ( currently on 2000 miles) so I can tell you now that the throttle response and sound is night and day different to a 335. The n54 used to die at 6000 rpm and while there is no final rush to redline with the S55 it doesn't die either it retains a constant pull to redline.

Whether you'll be disappointed coming from a V10 R8 is difficult as that car is in a different league but rest assured the new motor feels like a proper M motor - I prefer it to the S65- and I include the sound in that statement. The fact that I'm getting almost 100 miles more range from a tank is the cherry on the cake. Take a test drive and make your own mind up is my advice.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold

Last edited by ss134; 08-02-2014 at 04:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
Florida135
Rep
Drives: 135i

GT-R all the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

I had similar cars as you and it's hard to have just one car. I'm getting the M3 because I wanted a lower key, daily driver without the stress of being keyed or robbed.

If you want a GT3 feel get the 991 GT3 or Cayman GT4 when it's out. I've driven the both cayman/boxster GTS at the Porsche World Road show and it is almost perfection in terms of driving feel, power delivery, brakes and etc. I feel it drives nicer than the targa 4s they had at their road course.

I had owned two GTRs, and it's harsh ride and not that fun to drive I'd wouldn't advise it. Had a 09 and the 13. The late models 12+ was worlds ahead in terms of power delivery, tranny shift quality and comfort but not a great daily especially every kid come up and talk to you.

I feel as one daily driver the M3 ranks top of my list since you can get a stick. Turbo rocks for the street and as a daily driver. The new turbo cars has low end punch like a big V8/ V10. If you want a car to track and daily as a pure driving experience you cannot go wrong with any 991/987 Porsches. Throttle, steering, handling, and all the subjective stuff almost to perfections.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you for all the feedback. I honestly don't think I'll be happy with just one car either and to be quite honest I'm not sold on the m3's new motor. Never been a fan of turbos...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Quote:
Thank you for all the feedback. I honestly don't think I'll be happy with just one car either and to be quite honest I'm not sold on the m3's new motor. Never been a fan of turbos...
Have you've driven a modern day turbo car with peak torque from 1500 rpm to 4000 ish? It is much improved from turbo lagged on off throttle pedal cars from few years back.

Mpg rocks on these newer turbo cars. Just go test drive one. If you don't like M3. get he Cayman GTS. Awesome sound and driving feel. Not as awesome as previous gt3rs engine noise but next best thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #14
M3guy3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Have you've driven a modern day turbo car with peak torque from 1500 rpm to 4000 ish? It is much improved from turbo lagged on off throttle pedal cars from few years back.

Mpg rocks on these newer turbo cars. Just go test drive one. If you don't like M3. get he Cayman GTS. Awesome sound and driving feel. Not as awesome as previous gt3rs engine noise but next best thing.
not everyone is sold on the idea of a ton of torque nor do they feel like need a ton of torque.

if POWER was the only thing people wanted, only turbo cars would be sold. there are draw backs to these trubo cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #15
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
not everyone is sold on the idea of a ton of torque nor do they feel like need a ton of torque.

if POWER was the only thing people wanted, only turbo cars would be sold. there are draw backs to these trubo cars.
How much seat time do you have in the new m3/4?

And I agree that it's not the most important to everyone. But plenty of people love what modern turbos have to offer, and don't find as much pleasure in low torque slower cars like the e9x. I found coming out of corners a disappointment in that car on the track. To each their own.

Best way to know if it's for u is to drive it. Personally modern turbo + rwd + 6mt + m chassis = epic win
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #16
M3guy3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
How much seat time do you have in the new m3/4?

And I agree that it's not the most important to everyone. But plenty of people love what modern turbos have to offer, and don't find as much pleasure in low torque slower cars like the e9x. I found coming out of corners a disappointment in that car on the track. To each their own.

Best way to know if it's for u is to drive it. Personally modern turbo + rwd + 6mt + m chassis = epic win
And i can respect that, as long as you can respect that not everyone loves turbo engines. and there are plenty of n/A engines that offer plenty of power at lower and higher RPM ranges.

my point being that OP probably doesn't like turbo engines, and you guys are telling him stuff he already knows. Everyone knows how well trubo engines can make power. But there are people who prefer the unfiltered sound, raw emotion/feel of some N/A engines. Even when they are a slower car.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #17
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
And i can respect that, as long as you can respect that not everyone loves turbo engines. and there are plenty of n/A engines that offer plenty of power at lower and higher RPM ranges.

my point being that OP probably doesn't like turbo engines, and you guys are telling him stuff he already knows. Everyone knows how well trubo engines can make power. But there are people who prefer the unfiltered sound, raw emotion/feel of some N/A engines. Even when they are a slower car.
Your right im not a big fan on turbos in general. Before my r8 purchase I was looking into a 911 turbo s and while it had insane amount of power and torque it just didn't do it for me like the v10 in the r8. I don't like turbo lag, no matter how minimal, if it's not an extension of my right foot and provide a linear feel with throttle inputs and doesn't have character I quickly get bored of it after adjusting to the torque.

I was really hoping the new m3/4 was the break through car in terms of turbo technology. I haven't driven one yet so I'm not counting it out. Hopefully I can find one to rent for a day or two to make up my mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #18
M3guy3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Your right im not a big fan on turbos in general..
although i do like superchargers. it like having a N/A engine, but with a whine sound coming from the engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #19
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
although i do like superchargers. it like having a N/A engine, but with a whine sound coming from the engine.
Yes I had supercharged stage 2 s4 and it was fantastic, excellent response and sound from the engine with no lag. Id be open to another supercharged car but not many options these days.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #20
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:

...and so are you in other posts and in the comments below what I bolded, so what exactly is your point?

Also, how much time do u have in the new m3/4?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #21
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

I will say the M4 does not really have a turbo lag problem. That's not one of its shortcomings if you're worried about that
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #22
M3guy3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
...and so are you in other posts and in the comments below what I bolded, so what exactly is your point?

Also, how much time do u have in the new m3/4?
my dislike for the F80 has zero to do with how the car drives, looks, or any sort of performance aspect.

Its the fact the i have grown to care more about how the car makes me feel. I really do not like the way the F80 sounds, or the fact it just another small trubo engine to come out of Europe. i couldnt pay 80k for a loaded M4, then hear a turbo 6 cylinder. After having a full catless E92 M3 that just screamed with emotion. This has zero to do with performance, and its something that is 100% opinion.

i simply do not find a the S55 appealing.
Appreciate 0