E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Video showing "clouds of smoke" from exhaust. Bad Valve Cover Gasket or Turbo Seal

07-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep
Drives: E61

Video showing "clouds of smoke" from exhaust. Bad Valve Cover Gasket or Turbo Seal

Hey guys,

After installing my AR DPs I noticed the smoke coming from the exhaust like many other N54 owners. Although sometimes my smoking seemed excessive, the written descriptions from other members were right in-line with what I was experiencing: when coasting off throttle, in traffic, etc.

Although I never searched for a video with great effort, I never stumbled on one showing what it looks like. I happen to have one so I thought I would share.

Most of the stories I read linked the smoking to high-flowing DPs and when the oem units were reinstalled, the problems stopped. This makes sense as the cats would likely burn off a lot of engine vapor but it is extremely unlikely for it to be the root of the problem.

After further inspection I noticed a considerable amount of oil leaking from the charge side of my rear turbo which can be seen in the pics below, also with the photo of the *********, notice how the rear DP is much darker inside.

It looked like a bad turbo seal to my amateur eyes so last week I dropped my car off at BMW Fremont to milk the last few days of my CPO warranty (it ends today 7/30). So far the service adviser notified me that they have replaced the valve cover gasket, that was 2 days ago, so fingers crossed they smoking persists and I will get 2 new snails out of the visit; timing would be impeccable if it works out like this. I will update this when I get my car back.

Hope this helps someone!
Evan

Appreciate 0