E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Arkym lip problems - help please! (pics)

07-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

Arkym lip problems - help please! (pics)

So my lip has been installed for a few weeks now, using the pre-drilled holes that align with the holes underneath the front bumper - simply use the original screws and the 3M tape goes at the top/front of the lip... Easy.

Well, I drove it a few days back, I accelerated on to the Freeway and when I hit about 80/90k's I heard a fluttering/banging sound.

I thought "chit, there goes my car" cause it sounded pretty brutal.

Checked front lip - it was holding on via the bolts/screws and that's it - the tape didn't help at all, guess the wind pressure was too much for the tape to handle.

So what I wanted help with, how do I properly fix my Arkym style lip?
I'm thinking of putting some silicone...

Pic for reference;
      07-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
johnniewalker
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328 xdrive

There is a liquid, not sure if it was alcohol or not, that my body shop used to clean the lip before putting the 3m on. And it helped it stick strong.

Last edited by johnniewalker; 07-22-2014 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

well id go with betalink glue, which bmw uses on its spoilers and various other items.

when i installed my performance spoiler i knew i didnt want tape holding it. bought betalink plus and installed...the spoiler is on there rock hard and id get the bmw betalink or the newest one which is called betalink plus
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Same thing happened to me. Ended up using panel bond and it held strong until I hit something and it ripped in half!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
There is a liquid, not sure if it was alcohol or not, that my body shop used to clean the lip before putting the 3m on. And it helped it stick strong.
My car was clean, it's just that the tape actually isn't strong enough to handle the wind load / pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSNGH View Post
well id go with betalink glue, which bmw uses on its spoilers and various other items.

when i installed my performance spoiler i knew i didnt want tape holding it. bought betalink plus and installed...the spoiler is on there rock hard and id get the bmw betalink or the newest one which is called betalink plus
Will check it out, thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Same thing happened to me. Ended up using panel bond and it held strong until I hit something and it ripped in half!
Will check out panel bond, thanks bud.
You get a replacement? Lol.
      07-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSNGH View Post

Betatech Plus is the new version... What if I wanna remove the lip spoiler at a later stage?? Is it possible? Might be a silly question

Just realised I Sikaflex is a good alternative (I'm a builder so I have this lying around everywhere lol) so I'll take the spoiler off this weekend, put on some Sikaflex, let it dry all night, and should be good to go by the next day!

Last edited by mazaa93; 07-22-2014 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
Yea remove the lip, clean surfaces with alcohol, or laquiour thinner (SP)

Then, apply the double sided tape, use a heat gun from harbor freight ($10 bucks) until it gets really sticky, then apply a lot of pressure for at least 4-6 minutes till it sets and is super tacky… Also try to have something you can leave pressed against it (soft so it doesn't scratch) and let it set fully for an hour. Its key to get the adhesive sticky.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
jasoon
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i e92

Shit man. Sorry to hear that, I guess you could use beta link, have heard a lot about it but never used it. That's the zeig lip yeah, that scares me coz I bought the zeig cf boot lip from euro division as well, and it's only held by the tape that came with it currently, hopefully stays on, coz that thing would fly off if it came out haha :
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoon View Post
Shit man. Sorry to hear that, I guess you could use beta link, have heard a lot about it but never used it. That's the zeig lip yeah, that scares me coz I bought the zeig cf boot lip from euro division as well, and it's only held by the tape that came with it currently, hopefully stays on, coz that thing would fly off if it came out haha :
Boot lip is different man, doesn't have anywhere near as much pressure to handle as the front lip.

Lmao would be funny just seeing a spoiler slowly pry off and fly around on the freeway hahaha.

This weekend I'm gonna be a busy man fixing this chit lol.
      07-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race View Post
Yea remove the lip, clean surfaces with alcohol, or laquiour thinner (SP)

Then, apply the double sided tape, use a heat gun from harbor freight ($10 bucks) until it gets really sticky, then apply a lot of pressure for at least 4-6 minutes till it sets and is super tacky… Also try to have something you can leave pressed against it (soft so it doesn't scratch) and let it set fully for an hour. Its key to get the adhesive sticky.
I'm thinking just use Sikaflex (seriously strong silicone), what do you think?

Don't think I have a heat gun lying around either, can a hair-dryer do the same?
      07-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #11
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans BLue e92 335i LCI

Garage List
2012 e92 335i LCI  [0.00]
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
My CPS lip did the same thing, the tape wouldn't hold for more than a few days.

I dropped half of it on the freeway one day so I ended up drilling some pilot holes and using some self tapping screws (6 or 7 of them) to hold the lip further up into the under tray.

That worked like a champ, no more sag and it's super solid now, plus unlike betalink it's totally reversible.

e92 LCI • LeMans BlueSaddle Brown • Bamboo Anthracite • Performance Grilles • CF Performance Spoiler • CF Performance Diffuser • ACS Style Roof Spoiler • LED Interior Lighting • BMS Clutch Stop • BMS Intake • BMS CDV • BMW Performance Exhaust • ST V1 Coilovers • Miro 111 Staggered • More to come!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #12
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beskone View Post
My CPS lip did the same thing, the tape wouldn't hold for more than a few days.

I dropped half of it on the freeway one day so I ended up drilling some pilot holes and using some self tapping screws (6 or 7 of them) to hold the lip further up into the under tray.

That worked like a champ, no more sag and it's super solid now, plus unlike betalink it's totally reversible.
Beautiful - was thinking of doing this also.

But is here any chance of drilling into something you shouldn't? LOL.

And what size screws did you use if you don't mind me asking??
      07-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #13
RuthlessE92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Did any of you guys have fitment issues? I also have a brand new one that's been sitting because it seems like I have to do some sanding to make it flush?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #14
mazaa93
Das it.
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthlessE92 View Post
Did any of you guys have fitment issues? I also have a brand new one that's been sitting because it seems like I have to do some sanding to make it flush?
Not sure about everyone else's, but mine's probably 95% on spot - no need to sand down or anything.
      07-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #15
AW335OME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E90 M3, F80 M3

Try putting the 3m Double sided adhesive along the entire edge of the lip, not just segments of tape like I can see in the picture.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #16
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

Samething happened to my CF CPS Lip, fitment on mines is 95% also. These are the steps I did and it's been holding up ever since.

1. Removed lip, old double sided tape, sanded down the places where double sided tape goes.
2. Used rubbing alcohol where you place the double sided tape, let it dry for 10 minutes.
3. Put new 3M double sided tape, get the one that is color grey. DO NOT get the darker gray one, those are crap quality.
4. Replaced my lip onto my bumper with blocks of wood in the middle to pressure the lip.
5. Put the bolts on then final step was I put painters tape to hold the pressure on for 5 days.

I hit 130 mph and it held on like a champ with no problems. If my method doesn't work get an Adhesion Promoter to make the double-sided tape 20x stronger.
      07-23-2014, 12:35 AM   #17
Projekt_BooGie
Average Car Exceeding Expectations (ACEE)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
ok....my experience.....SCREW THE TAPE!!! It'll never hold!!! I took my front bumper off and put the screw in the OEM holes. Then I strategically used self tapping screws along with nuts and bolts....there is no sagging, no wiggle room, NOTHING!!!

I did this about my first one ripped off while driving...I was just driving and it just came off...so this time I wasn't taking any chances. Your lip can be held up with about 5 screws if you put them in the right spot... All together I think I have about 12 in total...over kill maybe...but that front lip is never coming off

and my fitment on mine is 99%

too much to list...just know its wide and bagged
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:38 AM   #18
AW M4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 ///M4

So this is the cps not Arkym right? From what I've seen is best to ditch the 3m tape. Best to just use self taping screws and drill the lip onto the bumper!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 01:00 AM   #19
SRT14PimPin07
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: X5

**********s installed mine with just 3m tape and bolts. I did 150 mph once and scraped it many times, it never moved a millimeter.
      07-23-2014, 01:55 AM   #20
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazaa93 View Post
Betatech Plus is the new version... What if I wanna remove the lip spoiler at a later stage?? Is it possible? Might be a silly question

Just realised I Sikaflex is a good alternative (I'm a builder so I have this lying around everywhere lol) so I'll take the spoiler off this weekend, put on some Sikaflex, let it dry all night, and should be good to go by the next day!
i think both are almost permanent solutions...but id go with beta link its well known for these type of installations..

my main reason was that the first spoiler i had on was with 3m.

i didn't like it so i wanted to sell it..upon removing it i had realized how damn easy it is to take of a 3m taped product...i little dentle floss & heat removed the spoiler right off in less than 30 seconds, that had me worried if i ever parked in the streets. thus i went with a permanent solution
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:51 AM   #21
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

just bolt it down and use locking nuts
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:46 AM   #22
TurboAL47
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M4 / X5

Garage List
Had the same issues. Now I'm using the Oem mounting points as well as 4 additional holes in the front and middle with screws, nuts and 1" washers. I get to the nuts by pushing in the front mesh grill. Doesn't move any more and I can remove it whenever necessary.

'22 G82 M4 - Individual Marina Bay Blue 6MT | MBB G82 Ongoing Build Thread
'21 AW G05 X5 xDrive40i MSport

'15 SS/SO F82 - M4 - SOLD| Industry City Shoot
'08 AW E92 - 335xi - SOLD[/b] | Mods and Photoshoot
Appreciate 0