E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Going to NYC for a vacation. Need suggestions

07-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Going to NYC for a vacation. Need suggestions

So, it will just be the two of us in early October. We're looking to stay downtown manhattan. I'm looking for a few questions to be answered and any additional suggestions would be great. We'll be there for 5 days.

1. What are the MUST go to places to visit? It's her first time in NY.
2. Any places we have to eat at? We're huge foodies!
3. What are some places she can go shopping? I heard SoHo.
4. Taxi around the city, if we're not walking? I don't plan to drive around there.
5. What to do at night (other than bar/club)?
6. Any other suggestions for vacationers to the city?

Thanks in advanced.
      07-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

2. I can't really recommend any food places but if you're ever in Herald square and want food, Korea town on 32nd Street is a pretty good place to go. Lots of restaurants there.
3. 5th Avenue is also a popular shopping spot, lots of stores and you can find pretty much all the big name brand stores there.
4. Subway is also a good option, you can pretty much get anywhere on the subway and it's pretty quick. I've never taken a cab in Manhattan but I'd imagine it would take a while to get to places since the streets are always congested.

P.S. - I think I should keep looking at this thread, I myself have no idea where are must go to places in NYC and I live here.

Last edited by StevenY.; 07-17-2014 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
aarwilli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Coupe

One place I really enjoyed when I just went was a placed called "Escape the Room". You have 1 hour to solve the scenario "puzzle" and escape the room. It's a pretty awesome time
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
maristgrad09
Major
Rep
Drives: Orange e92 m3 FBO+E85

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarwilli
One place I really enjoyed when I just went was a placed called "Escape the Room". You have 1 hour to solve the scenario "puzzle" and escape the room. It's a pretty awesome time
I just went there! We did the agency. We escaped in 49 minutes how did you do?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
DunkinDeezNuts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 WRX STI

1. Times Square is arguably the biggest and most fun attraction for tourists, most people who come to visit always stop to check it out. The view from the Empire State Building is amazing, you can see all the way out towards the Bronx and actually see Yankee Stadium from it, as well as Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center. The World Trade Center has the new Freedom Tower, as well as the 9/11 Museum. Central Park is very nice in the Fall, just avoid it at night.
2. Junior's in Times Square is AWESOME. They got great food and their cheesecake is to die for. Little Italy's restaurants are nice, but you definitely pay for the "atmosphere", since it's expensive and the portions are a little on the small side. To their credit, the chicken parm is GOOD. Just small.
3. Not too savvy about shopping, but if you're downtown check out Century 21. They have a lot of designer clothes that are heavily discounted, almost 50% off sometimes.
4. The taxi can get expensive, but seeing that you aren't local I wouldn't recommend the subway because it can get hectic and a little dangerous. Walk wherever you can, you'll find that it's actually kind of cool that you can get anywhere by walking.
5. Cam't exactly comment on this since I'm only nineteen and wouldn't have an idea lol. Best I could say is that NYC has a ton of bars and clubs, so take advantage.
6. Take a lot of pictures and explore! There is so much to see in New York City, but always not enough time to see it all. Have a good trip.

Retired: 2008 E92 335I
Current: 2015 Jeep Wrangler, 2016 Subaru WRX STI
Soon: E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
icenight
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 xdrive

if you like ramen you have to go to Ippudo and make sure you get the pork buns.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
TurboAL47
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M4 / X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by icenight View Post
going to ippudo in 20 min for lunch!!! love the ramen and the buns.

let us know what type of cuisine you're into and we can make some good recommendations. i'm a huge foodie as well and go out with the buddies in the city to bars/clubs in the lower east side and all around.

'22 G82 M4 - Individual Marina Bay Blue 6MT | MBB G82 Ongoing Build Thread
'21 AW G05 X5 xDrive40i MSport

'15 SS/SO F82 - M4 - SOLD| Industry City Shoot
'08 AW E92 - 335xi - SOLD[/b] | Mods and Photoshoot
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
nis270r
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
So, it will just be the two of us in early October. We're looking to stay downtown manhattan. I'm looking for a few questions to be answered and any additional suggestions would be great. We'll be there for 5 days.

1. What are the MUST go to places to visit? It's her first time in NY.
2. Any places we have to eat at? We're huge foodies!
3. What are some places she can go shopping? I heard SoHo.
4. Taxi around the city, if we're not walking? I don't plan to drive around there.
5. What to do at night (other than bar/club)?
6. Any other suggestions for vacationers to the city?

Thanks in advanced.
1. besides the typical Time Square, Rockefeller, Central Park, Empire State, World Trade Center, maybe you can consider more local neighborhood gems, like Lower East Side, Chinatown is always interesting.

Definitely check out both Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridge, there's a newly built Brooklyn Bridge Park that's just keep on expanding, you have a nice view looking over the Manhattan skyline, good for taking pictures day or night.
There's also High Line Park in the Chelsea area, by 10th Ave between 14th Street and goes all the way up to 30th Street.

2. Food wise, just yelp it. Personally i would definitely go for Sushi place and Korean BBQ, Indian and Thai. I really doubt you would be disappointed with the food choices in NY.

3. Soho has a lot of stores for shopping if you don't like the department store.
West Village, Greenwich, Herald Square (34th Street from east to west)

5. No club/bar - maybe try to go to one of those roof top bar, just to experience the vibe and view at night. My personal favorite is 230 Fifth, Press Lounge and Skyroom is also good, try to go on a weeknight so you'll avoid the cover charge and the crowd on weekends

Have fun and enjoy the visit!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
SpunkyXL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenight View Post
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
budget? interests? NYC is too diverse to recommend one place. I could recommend 3-star Michelin restaurants or street vendors/food trucks... big department stores or flea markets.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
Bluefrog0257
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi Sedan

look into (new york pass) and hop on hop off bus to get around the city.

for one price you get admission into as many attractions as you can manage in one two or three day pass. even if you only do 3 a day it is still a bargain.

Hop on hop off bus - 2 day or 3 day pass unlimited rides stops at all major attractions above ground all the time so you can really see everything.

must do items - daytime - Circle Line cruise around manhattan, dont laugh its beautiful.
museums - natural history is cool also check out Hayden planetarium. MOMA - museum of modern art is one of the most amazing places - the permanent collection is essential, items we use everyday that you forget were art and design before they were mass produced.

johns pizza in Times Square - they wont sell you a slice only a fresh made pie Small or large.

Bronx zoo - if you are into it

Central park has lots of gardens and paths to wander through if you have the time to spend and dont want to run run run.

Washington Square park in the village - street performers and great place for people watching.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #12
BluTaser
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco E90 335i Mtech/FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarwilli View Post
Escape the Room sounds awesome, I never heard of it. I would like to try it out even though on from NJ. Thanks for the recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
viperguy212
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

I have to make a suggestion because this never comes up lol.

If your in downtown Manhattan and around China town there is a bar called "Whiskey Tavern." Yes an "Irish" bar in Chinatown. Probably one of the most fun and friendly places I've ever been. It is small but the staff is awesome and the drinks are reasonably priced. Its a local spot at night but I could not recommend it more.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/whiskey-tavern-new-york
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

LOL DAYEM! LA and NY?! Got some vacation time to burn I see.

Ippudo Ramen - get their pork buns(ramen is good but buns are best shit ever)

Gotham (fancy steak joint, best shit ever)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/gotham-bar-and-grill-new-york

Halal Guys (janky ass cart food but best shit ever)
Ess-A-Bagel (just a bagel but best shit ever)
Shake Shack (just a burger but best shit ever) - try their frozen custard

Peter Luger Steak (owned by mafia but best shit ever)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/peter-luger-...klyn?osq=steak
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #15
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarwilli View Post
Sounds awesome!!!!!
      07-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #16
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
LOL DAYEM! LA and NY?! Got some vacation time to burn I see.

Ippudo Ramen - get their pork buns(ramen is good but buns are best shit ever)

Gotham (fancy steak joint, best shit ever)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/gotham-bar-and-grill-new-york

Halal Guys (janky ass cart food but best shit ever)
Ess-A-Bagel (just a bagel but best shit ever)
Shake Shack (just a burger but best shit ever) - try their frozen custard

Peter Luger Steak (owned by mafia but best shit ever)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/peter-luger-...klyn?osq=steak

Thanks again everyone. Keep them coming.

And, Halal Guys is AWESOMEESS
      07-18-2014, 11:25 PM   #17
Chocolatethunder
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Don't forget to get tipsy and walk around the east village, younger crowd, cool bars cool people and all around fun atmosphere. Also how can you visit the city without actually seeing it, like across some water to DUMBO awesome view of the city from underneath the manhattan Bridge. http://dumbonyc.com/blog/category/dumbo-events/
Check out the Statue Of Liberty cuz why the hell not!! heard u can go all the way to the torch now. Have fun and be safe!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #18
mglax13
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW E92 N54 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperguy212 View Post
I have to make a suggestion because this never comes up lol.

If your in downtown Manhattan and around China town there is a bar called "Whiskey Tavern." Yes an "Irish" bar in Chinatown. Probably one of the most fun and friendly places I've ever been. It is small but the staff is awesome and the drinks are reasonably priced. Its a local spot at night but I could not recommend it more.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/whiskey-tavern-new-york
I can't agree more with this. I work down in Chinatown / little Italy /SOHO, so if you want anymore specific recommendations or questions about it, feel free to PM me.

As for shopping, Broadway downtown in SOHO is nice, lots of high end stores if that's what you're looking for. Also a couple of nice and cheap activities is riding the Staten Island ferry round trip, it's free and takes you right by the statue of liberty, good for photos. I also like walking over the Manhattan Bridge, going to Brooklyn Bridge Park on the BK side, then walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge. Then you're pretty close to ground zero if you want to check out the museum and memorial (I definitely recomend it, allow yourself about 3 hours for the museum, you won't even realize you were there that long).

If you like historical stuff, South Street seaport is cool as is that whole area down there. Have a giant beer at Jeremy's.

A cool new thing most people, not even NYers see is the abandoned city hall subway station, said to be one of the most beautiful in the world. Take the 6 train downtown, and stay on after the last stop (Brooklyn Bridge station), the train will loop around to go Uptown, and in doing so, it passes through the station.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 12:07 AM   #19
TwinTurboRacer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 335i

Just stay away from 5th Ave. between 42nd and 60th. Just... stay... away...

Staten Island Ferry is a cheap (if not still free) boat ride between lower Manhattan and Staten Island. If the weather is nice, you'll get beautiful views of Lady Liberty, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Staten Island, and New Jersey.

Take the subway... at least once. That's an experience in itself. If you buy the metrocard, you can use a free bus transfer within 2 hours from when you use the card. Once again, an experience, especially during rush hour.

You may want to consider using Uber instead of a taxi. They are doing a marketing blitz with discounts to rival or beat standard yellow cab prices.

Halal Cart... now here's a secret... It's known to be the Halal Guys on 53rd and 6th. It's on the southwest corner of that intersection, however be aware that the REAL Halal guys don't have that spot during the day. There is an imitator that has that corner until 6PM or so. After 7/8ish, you can find the real ones on that corner. Do not despair though. You can still find the real Halal guys during the day across the street on the southEAST corner (diagonal from Hilton Hotel) of 53rd St. and 6th Ave. White sauce is excellent, BBQ is decent, and the hot sauce is SPICY! (Well, medium spicy for a Korean guy like me). Get a $6 combo platter so you get Lamb Gyro meat and Chicken over yellow rice, some lettuce, and a few cut up pieces of pita bread. $4 buys you the sandwich version (no rice), but you're better off ordering one platter to share between the two of you if you don't want to eat that much.

For your hotel, if you don't mind using Priceline, here's a site I've used many times before to get the best deal on "Name your own price" offers: biddingfortravel.com. It's old school look, but great details on what hotels you're likely to get in what stars and how others bid on them. If you ask, they will recommend bidding strategies as well.

You're coming a little early in October, but you might be able to find some Costume party themed events at bars/lounges.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #20
GreaseMonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i xDrive

Check out The High Line, it's an above ground walking park built on old subway rails. It's a unique way to experience the city and will drop you off in Chelsea, a great place for food and close to the fashion district. http://www.thehighline.org/
http://www.chelseamarket.com/

If you're looking for a different bar experience, check out one of the city's Speakeasy Bars. Some are more involved than others, with secret entrances and such. An easier place to find is Death & Company, very cool atmosphere and bartenders who appreciate their craft. http://www.deathandcompany.com/lounge/

If you want to try the subway (which everyone should experience), just pick up a phone app like EmbarkNYC, it's easy to map out where you are, where you want to be, and which train(s) will get you there.

+1 to the Halal recommendation, the food is delicious and safe due to strict food quality standards. Shake Shack is fun, especially when the place is lit up at night. Check out Union Square for street vendors, then stop in to Max Brenner's for some food or skip to dessert. My favorite is an Oreo Milkshake with Mint Bailey's if you're just stopping for something quick.

New York can be intimidating, but I assure you it is a breeze to figure out and have a great time. Be sure to take a stroll through Central Park, and eat a street hot dog. Enjoy the trip!
Formerly His:'09 335 xdrive
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #21
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboRacer View Post
Just stay away from 5th Ave. between 42nd and 60th. Just... stay... away...

Staten Island Ferry is a cheap (if not still free) boat ride between lower Manhattan and Staten Island. If the weather is nice, you'll get beautiful views of Lady Liberty, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Staten Island, and New Jersey.

Take the subway... at least once. That's an experience in itself. If you buy the metrocard, you can use a free bus transfer within 2 hours from when you use the card. Once again, an experience, especially during rush hour.

You may want to consider using Uber instead of a taxi. They are doing a marketing blitz with discounts to rival or beat standard yellow cab prices.

Halal Cart... now here's a secret... It's known to be the Halal Guys on 53rd and 6th. It's on the southwest corner of that intersection, however be aware that the REAL Halal guys don't have that spot during the day. There is an imitator that has that corner until 6PM or so. After 7/8ish, you can find the real ones on that corner. Do not despair though. You can still find the real Halal guys during the day across the street on the southEAST corner (diagonal from Hilton Hotel) of 53rd St. and 6th Ave. White sauce is excellent, BBQ is decent, and the hot sauce is SPICY! (Well, medium spicy for a Korean guy like me). Get a $6 combo platter so you get Lamb Gyro meat and Chicken over yellow rice, some lettuce, and a few cut up pieces of pita bread. $4 buys you the sandwich version (no rice), but you're better off ordering one platter to share between the two of you if you don't want to eat that much.

For your hotel, if you don't mind using Priceline, here's a site I've used many times before to get the best deal on "Name your own price" offers: biddingfortravel.com. It's old school look, but great details on what hotels you're likely to get in what stars and how others bid on them. If you ask, they will recommend bidding strategies as well.

You're coming a little early in October, but you might be able to find some Costume party themed events at bars/lounges.
Why stay away? Thanks
      07-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #22
rohitsja
MUHAAHAA
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i/ 09 E92 335i

Personal fav, try the 230 fifth rooftop bar just like it was mentioned above - great place with awesome view of the Empire State !!!
Appreciate 0