Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
chiplee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Turbo timers... Familiar? Plan to use one?

It's considered a must in my other car due to oil coking from the high temps turbos reach. It's an easy install in a low tech car, not sure what would be required in an F80/82.

For the unfamiliar, it let's you park, get out, lock up, and walk away with the engine on a timer to keep running for a minute or two for the turbo (s) to cool down.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

TT's aren't necessary on the BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
that's funny, I just found my old Greddy tt while I was cleaning up some boxes yesterday. I'm thinking no for this car. From the sound of things, it prefers cool-down via a casual drive rather than sitting in place. I'm thinking in terms of how it prefers the warm up in much the same way.

There is a dealer in my area who shall remain nameless, where I got to feel the intercooler after it had been driven hard by someone at the dealership. They drove it hard, then let it idle for some amount of time, then just turned it off. Thing was hotter than a lobster pot. I mean scorching. I'm sure a longer idle or whatever else would have helped, but so would have giving it a cool-down lap or two. I was surprised given my own test drive experience, and those posted by others, where they felt no such heat on the intercooler. I attribute that to the idle and lack of cool-down drive, but could be wrong.

I will do cool-down drives to make sure everything is nice and temperate prior to idle or shutting down.

edit: and before anyone else says it, yes it could have also just been the heat from the engine transferring into the rest of the bay as it sat. either way
Instagram: IMrMark
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
chiplee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
TT's aren't necessary on the BMW
Care to elaborate? How are the turbos cooled and lubricated? If it's with water and oil then I would like to see how BMW accounted for the fact that turbos can hit 1500+ degrees.

Edit: It could be as simple as they ensured that all oil drains from the turbos on shutdown so it can't sit there and bake, but that would take an interesting turbo design. Still think more frequent oil changes are in order at a minimum.

Last edited by chiplee; 07-06-2014 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
chiplee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMrMark View Post
that's funny, I just found my old Greddy tt while I was cleaning up some boxes yesterday. I'm thinking no for this car. From the sound of things, it prefers cool-down via a casual drive rather than sitting in place. I'm thinking in terms of how it prefers the warm up in much the same way.

There is a dealer in my area who shall remain nameless, where I got to feel the intercooler after it had been driven hard by someone at the dealership. They drove it hard, then let it idle for some amount of time, then just turned it off. Thing was hotter than a lobster pot. I mean scorching. I'm sure a longer idle or whatever else would have helped, but so would have giving it a cool-down lap or two. I was surprised given my own test drive experience, and those posted by others, where they felt no such heat on the intercooler. I attribute that to the idle and lack of cool-down drive, but could be wrong.

I will do cool-down drives to make sure everything is nice and temperate prior to idle or shutting down.

edit: and before anyone else says it, yes it could have also just been the heat from the engine transferring into the rest of the bay as it sat. either way

Yeah, I don't know man... It's a work car for me so I won't always have time to take a cool down lap. Also shouldn't be heating up the turbos too badly on a quick drive to work but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplee View Post
Care to elaborate? How are the turbos cooled and lubricated? If it's with water and oil then I would like to see how BMW accounted for the fact that turbos can hit 1500+ degrees.

Edit: It could be as simple as they ensured that all oil drains from the turbos on shutdown so it can't sit there and bake, but that would take an interesting turbo design. Still think more frequent oil changes are in order at a minimum.
If I remember correctly (..from the older N54 discussions), the turbos continue to receive coolant from the water pump (..electric vs belt driven) after shutting the engine down, negating the need for a TT. IF it's not running after shutting the car down, you didn't drive hard enough to warrant the extra cooling.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

Drive in normal for 3 min before turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #8
Blaizon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe & 335i Sedan

As was states earlier, no TT is needed. If the car is driven hard enough, the electric water pump will keep circulating water to the turbos until cool.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplee View Post
It's considered a must in my other car due to oil coking from the high temps turbos reach. It's an easy install in a low tech car, not sure what would be required in an F80/82.

For the unfamiliar, it let's you park, get out, lock up, and walk away with the engine on a timer to keep running for a minute or two for the turbo (s) to cool down.
IMO, aftermarket "turbo timer cooling" is not required on the F8X.

IIRC, the turbos on the S55 have their own independent electric cooling system that can continue to run when the car is stationary. I will need to dig a little to find the references...

EDIT:

There, got it. It is in the press release:

Quote:
Sophisticated cooling concept for maximum performance.

The exceptional performance potential of the BMW M3 Sedan and BMW M4 Coupe places extremely exacting demands on temperature management in the engine and peripheral assemblies. In order to ensure optimum operating temperatures in everyday use, on short journeys around town and out on the race track, the BMW M GmbH engineers have developed an extremely effective cooling system. For example, alongside the two ultra-dynamic turbocharger units, the air intake system of the six-cylinder engine also includes an indirect intercooler, maximizing charge pressure and engine output. As well as a main radiator, the track-ready cooling concept also comprises a water cooler repositioned to the side for the high- and low-temperature water circuits, and the engine and transmission oil (if the M Double Clutch Transmission is specified). These ensure a consistent temperature balance and therefore high performance on the track as well as the road. An additional electric coolant pump cools the turbocharger bearing mounts when the car is stationary.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-06-2014 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
Oakleyguy
Resident Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Land Cruiser

Garage List
2014 Toyota URJ200  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
2005 Toyota UZJ100  [0.00]
@CanAutM3 's post nails it. The employment of the electric pumps also allows the Auto-stop/start feature.
European Delivery Journal & F8X Door Rattle Fix
Machine Shop Directory - www.mfgcenter.com
Appreciate 0