BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-21-2022, 09:16 PM   #1
OUGrad05
Captain
329
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2010 Corvette, 2015 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Probably ordering a car this week. Sensatec vs Vernasca???

I'm posting this in the general discussion because it's more about BMWs Sensatec vs Vernasca leather. I'm likely to order an i4 this week.

My 335i has the Dakota leather, it's been durable and comfortable for the most part but it's black and hot as hell in the Oklahoma summers.
So I'm leaning towards something lighter or perforated at least.

My last two BMW loaners were Sensatec equipped cars and I was blown away at how good it was. I just assumed it was a higher grade leather than my Dakota leather but when I looked at the sticker on the X3 it was Sensatec.

The Sensatec product at some point has gotten quite good, the dealer told me that happened after 2019.

What are people's thoughts on Sensatec vs the Vernasca offered in the i4?

This car is something I'll probably keep awhile. I kept my 3 series 7 years now and by the time I get my i4 it'll be close to 8 years. This car I will likely drive for 4-5 years and then possibly pass to my oldest daughter as her first car, or perhaps the car she takes to college, that's still a ways off so we have some time to sort through that.

Point being, I want something durable, easy to clean and take care of.
__________________
2015 335i M-Sport
2022 Acura MDX

Last edited by OUGrad05; 05-21-2022 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 09:36 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
DanG's Avatar
United_States
4752
Rep
5,871
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.69]
I prefer real leather.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 10:20 PM   #3
Germanauto
Major General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
8163
Rep
5,490
Posts

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

You're ordering an expensive luxury car, get real leather. Vernasca isn't super high maintenance. Even Merino just needs cleaning/conditioning a couple times a year, Vernasca is even easier.

I can't do the fake stuff, no matter how good an imitation it is (which it isn't).
__________________
Former
-2008 E90 328 black/brown
-2012 Lexus IS250 black/black
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2022, 11:00 PM   #4
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
449
Rep
2,255
Posts

Drives: F80, F36, E90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (3)

Uhh since when was leather an option? Aren't G8x just merino leather?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 12:10 AM   #5
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
Tuxedo's Avatar
United_States
1048
Rep
726
Posts

Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 22' G05 X5
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2 opinions

ordering an i4 will take 7-11mo to arrive to your US dealer, you'll have time to change the build until the VIN is assigned 4-9mo away.

the only reason for me to get the leather is the cologne ish smell BMW leather has. Mrs Tux however leather only. I have 4 current BMW's in the driveway 2 w/leather 2 w/sensatec. each trade a few pros and cons you've already mentioned, no wrong answer imo
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 07:15 AM   #6
chassis
Lieutenant Colonel
chassis's Avatar
United_States
3124
Rep
1,548
Posts

Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Vernasca is good. We have enjoyed it for 3 years on my wife’s G01. Low/no maintenance, looks and smells good.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 09:02 AM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
2822
Rep
4,047
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or in the case of upholstery...also in the butt). I had Dakota previously and didn't like it and went to Nappa in my current DD. I love the Nappa. IMHO Vernasca is a slightly better version of Dakota. Both are so highly treated that they feel like Sensatec.

so...for me...if I had to choose between the two I would save the money and get the sensatec.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2022, 09:11 AM   #8
OUGrad05
Captain
329
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2010 Corvette, 2015 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or in the case of upholstery...also in the butt). I had Dakota previously and didn't like it and went to Nappa in my current DD. I love the Nappa. IMHO Vernasca is a slightly better version of Dakota. Both are so highly treated that they feel like Sensatec.

so...for me...if I had to choose between the two I would save the money and get the sensatec.
I think my wife's Acura has NAPA and it's super nice. That's not an option on the i4. It's either Vernasca or Sensatec.
__________________
2015 335i M-Sport
2022 Acura MDX
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 11:07 AM   #9
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
1215
Rep
921
Posts

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central Virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [0.00]
If you go back a few years the only problem you see with deteriorated interior upholstery is with vinyl or Sensatec interiors. Even on our 1-series, the Sensatec will crack in the primary wear points of entry and even the leather interiors after 2011 are only partial leather with the side panels on the seats in Sensatec and that's where the cracking starts first. I've even had Sensatec customer cars in the past where we've had to replace the seat covers during the warranty period for cracking. Now the new Sensatec may be different but, for me, it's still too early to tell, given past performance. In my mind the only reason to not get leather is either color choice (weirdly some BMWs offer colors in Sensatec you can't get in leather) or to save $1400. I always ask: Do you wear plastic shoes? Even perforated Sensatec doesn't really breathe. It does feel softer to the touch simply because it is, by definition, a "plastic" material, especially when it's warm. But then it is hotter to the touch in hot weather and colder to the touch in cold weather. My 20-year-old cars with full leather still look perfect, but maybe leather isn't really "leather" anymore, either, just as Sensatec is nowhere near as durable as BMW Skai Vinyl was back in the Neu Range cars of the '60s and '70s. My 50-year-old "leatherette" on my 1600 convertible is still in great shape. But back then "leatherette" was thicker than today and so was leather.

But, yeah, what's the hurry to decide? What false promises is your dealership making on delivery? We're still waiting for cars that were ordered under the first pre-order one-year ago.
Appreciate 3
OUGrad05328.50
DanG4752.00
Germanauto8162.50
      05-22-2022, 11:40 AM   #10
SpeedyATL
Lieutenant
SpeedyATL's Avatar
United_States
457
Rep
591
Posts

Drives: BMW 440i GC
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: GA

iTrader: (0)

Sensatec all the way for me. I love the look of the new perf'd sensatec.

My wife's X3 has vernasca and it makes the seats too hard for us for more than 60-90 minute drives. Dries out pretty quickly as well.
__________________
2022 M440CV - Cancelled - Dealer is a Jerk
2023 X4 30i - Ordered
2019 440GC
2019 X3 3.0
2018 S1000XR & R1200RT
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 03:47 PM   #11
OUGrad05
Captain
329
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2010 Corvette, 2015 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post
Sensatec all the way for me. I love the look of the new perf'd sensatec.

My wife's X3 has vernasca and it makes the seats too hard for us for more than 60-90 minute drives. Dries out pretty quickly as well.
I've read in several places to avoid the ventilated seats on the 4 series and X3 and have read that the Sensatec has more cushion. I'm not sure the latter can be verified but the former certainly does seem to be the case. Has me probably not ordering the ventilated seats on this one.
__________________
2015 335i M-Sport
2022 Acura MDX
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 05:21 PM   #12
Jklotz
Private
174
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: BMW M340i
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
I've read in several places to avoid the ventilated seats on the 4 series and X3 and have read that the Sensatec has more cushion. I'm not sure the latter can be verified but the former certainly does seem to be the case. Has me probably not ordering the ventilated seats on this one.
I would imagine the leather would break in over time though.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 05:48 PM   #13
pz619
Brigadier General
3195
Rep
3,221
Posts

Drives: F87 M2C
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

Having both sensatec and various bmw leathers, I don’t really see the value in the actual leather products. I do wish they would offer a full palette of the sensatec colors and stitching.

I’d be perfectly happy with sensatec over real leather.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 05:49 PM   #14
FloridaM8
New Member
FloridaM8's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2022 X3 S30i M Sport
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
I'm posting this in the general discussion because it's more about BMWs Sensatec vs Vernasca leather. I'm likely to order an i4 this week.

My 335i has the Dakota leather, it's been durable and comfortable for the most part but it's black and hot as hell in the Oklahoma summers.
So I'm leaning towards something lighter or perforated at least.

My last two BMW loaners were Sensatec equipped cars and I was blown away at how good it was. I just assumed it was a higher grade leather than my Dakota leather but when I looked at the sticker on the X3 it was Sensatec.

The Sensatec product at some point has gotten quite good, the dealer told me that happened after 2019.

What are people's thoughts on Sensatec vs the Vernasca offered in the i4?

This car is something I'll probably keep awhile. I kept my 3 series 7 years now and by the time I get my i4 it'll be close to 8 years. This car I will likely drive for 4-5 years and then possibly pass to my oldest daughter as her first car, or perhaps the car she takes to college, that's still a ways off so we have some time to sort through that.

Point being, I want something durable, easy to clean and take care of.

If you're looking for resale value, obviously the upgrade is worth it. But in my opinion, the Perforated Sensac in my X3 is amazing. I'm very happy with it on the sport seats. Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 05:52 PM   #15
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Canada
3471
Rep
3,024
Posts

Drives: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Uhh since when was leather an option? Aren't G8x just merino leather?
He's considering an i4 (G26) not an M car (G8X).
__________________
Current: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback / 2022 Audi Q7
Gone: 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback / 2020 BMW M340i / 2019 Audi Q7 / 2019 Audi S5 Sportback / 2019 Audi S4 / 2018 Audi S5 Coupe / 2018 Lexus IS350
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 09:26 PM   #16
OUGrad05
Captain
329
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2010 Corvette, 2015 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Uhh since when was leather an option? Aren't G8x just merino leather?
He's considering an i4 (G26) not an M car (G8X).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Uhh since when was leather an option? Aren't G8x just merino leather?
He's considering an i4 (G26) not an M car (G8X).
Correct. Ordering an i4.
__________________
2015 335i M-Sport
2022 Acura MDX
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 07:49 AM   #17
Westside Guy
Major
Westside Guy's Avatar
United_States
911
Rep
1,325
Posts

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hallandale Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
My wife has Sensatec in her 2021 228i Gran Coupe and I have Vernasca leather in my 2022 Z4 M40i. I would never have considered ordering Sensatec for a car like the Z4.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto8162.50
      05-23-2022, 08:04 AM   #18
Westside Guy
Major
Westside Guy's Avatar
United_States
911
Rep
1,325
Posts

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hallandale Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
You're ordering an expensive luxury car, get real leather. Vernasca isn't super high maintenance. Even Merino just needs cleaning/conditioning a couple times a year, Vernasca is even easier.

I can't do the fake stuff, no matter how good an imitation it is (which it isn't).
Companies like Xpel offer products to protect the leather. I have the Ivory/ White Vernasca leather and used Xpel to protect it.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
Germanauto8162.50
      05-23-2022, 06:25 PM   #19
OUGrad05
Captain
329
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2010 Corvette, 2015 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
My wife has Sensatec in her 2021 228i Gran Coupe and I have Vernasca leather in my 2022 Z4 M40i. I would never have considered ordering Sensatec for a car like the Z4.
Ok but why? Random statements with no rationale don't really help.

Have you had bad experiences with Sensatec? Does it crack and fall apart more easily? Something else?
__________________
2015 335i M-Sport
2022 Acura MDX
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 06:30 PM   #20
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
2822
Rep
4,047
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
I think my wife's Acura has NAPA and it's super nice. That's not an option on the i4. It's either Vernasca or Sensatec.
I know. That is one of the reasons I am now driving a 5 series.
Appreciate 1
OUGrad05328.50
      05-23-2022, 09:23 PM   #21
ASAP
Major General
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
4957
Rep
5,564
Posts

Drives: M2C
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Sensatec is garbage.... and doesn't fit such an expensive car. The Vernasca wears very well and is durable... also doesn't feel like rubber.
__________________
2020 HS M2C DCT 763M, lots of CF (Perfect)
2 x N54 (Unreliable Junk)
1 x N55 (Slow)
Appreciate 1
Germanauto8162.50
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST