BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #309
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post

I'm not into politics, but I do wonder why, since they have the ability to, cell service providers don't turn off the ability to use apps over say, 5 mph. It would be easily possible. Your take on that?
Because, oh, I don't know, a human can run faster than 5 mph?

And if the joggers suddenly can't listen to Spotify or similar while running, well, if I were the human that created this software that shut down their apps, I'd certainly make sure I was able to run faster than them for a sustained distance....
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:37 PM   #310
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post

And if the joggers suddenly can't listen to Spotify or similar while running, well, if I were the human that created this software that shut down their apps, I'd certainly make sure I was able to run faster than them for a sustained distance....
You really just said that?

I'm talking about driving, which has a completely different physics than running, and with today's technology we can easily tell the difference.
Appreciate 1
premier3is1627.00
      11-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #311
suckbangblow
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Here's one.....

....So I'm on patrol one night and I observe a vehicle in my rear view mirror traveling at a high rate of speed. As the car passes, I start rolling code, and the chase is on. The driver exited the freeway and starts driving through the hills. Part of me was a little impressed by the driving, and part of me was thinking, "This m'fer is going to end up tumbling down the hillside." Finally the driver yields, and who do I find in the driver's seat?!?!? ......a 14 year old girl with no license, wearing pajamas and driving shoes. LMAO! I laughed.....loudly!
WHOA!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to share!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #312
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Here's one.....

....So I'm on patrol one night and I observe a vehicle in my rear view mirror traveling at a high rate of speed. As the car passes, I start rolling code, and the chase is on. The driver exited the freeway and starts driving through the hills. Part of me was a little impressed by the driving, and part of me was thinking, "This m'fer is going to end up tumbling down the hillside." Finally the driver yields, and who do I find in the driver's seat?!?!? ......a 14 year old girl with no license, wearing pajamas and driving shoes. LMAO! I laughed.....loudly!
LOL. What year was this though? I just want to cross reference, because Lups kids were in the US at one point and this....well, it could be one of them.

But that is funny and happy the kid finally pulled over, could have ended much worse.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24818.50
      11-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #313
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You really just said that?
Funny, I said the exact same thing when I read your original post. Eerie.

Quote:
I'm talking about driving, which has a completely different physics than running, and with today's technology we can easily tell the difference.
To which are you referring (technology) that is in the smartphone standard? I'm not a technological guru, so consider me unaware.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #314
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:

Why should a passenger not have access to his/her phone, not only in a car but train, bus etc.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614889.50
UncleWede17874.00
MKSixer34171.50
      11-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #315
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:

You got to have an analytical and problem solving mindset man. Cant just say it wont work, got to try to work around the potential problems that could occur.

Pretty sure there can be a number of ways to go around this. Ones I can think of on top of my head right now:

1.) monitor speed fluctuations for 30-60 seconds before the software turns on to recognize you are in a vehicle.

2.) raise the speed limit to 10mph...

3.) encode an on/off button (although this would potentially defeat the purpose since people would forget to turn it on or just ignore it)

4.) Recognize a bluetooth connection to the vehicle only (since you can use bluetooth headphones and such for running), and turn on application.

Just showing you there can be many ways around the problem, just got to be willing to solve it and put in an effort.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      11-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #316
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I guess my point is that I believe the technology exists to disable visual-heavy apps while driving a car. I can understand talking on the phone, or using a GPS that gives you audible alerts, but using something that requires you to look down to use, while you are driving a car is just stupidity. People just aren't that brilliant, they are going to use it, and cause accidents.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #317
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Here's one.....

LOL. What year was this though? I just want to cross reference, because Lups kids were in the US at one point and this....well, it could be one of them.

But that is funny and happy the kid finally pulled over, could have ended much worse.
It's wasn't Lups' kids, but had she not been out of the country at the time, were living in California, and had it been an Austin Yellow M4, I might've concluded that it could be her. LOL!
Appreciate 3
Joekerr7926.00
upstatedoc7555.50
Lups11819.50
      11-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #318
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Why should a passenger not have access to his/her phone, not only in a car but train, bus etc.
I agree with you, this would seem to be a further problem with what Visual suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
You got to have an analytical and problem solving mindset man. Cant just say it wont work, got to try to work around the potential problems that could occur.

Pretty sure there can be a number of ways to go around this. Ones I can think of on top of my head right now:

1.) monitor speed fluctuations for 30-60 seconds before the software turns on to recognize you are in a vehicle.

2.) raise the speed limit to 10mph...

3.) encode an on/off button (although this would potentially defeat the purpose since people would forget to turn it on or just ignore it)

4.) Recognize a bluetooth connection to the vehicle only (since you can use bluetooth headphones and such for running), and turn on application.

Just showing you there can be many ways around the problem, just got to be willing to solve it and put in an effort.
I agree with you as well, certainly there can be a way around it if one really saw it as a huge problem that needed to be addressed.

I don't see it as a huge problem though. I think instead of trying to further a nanny state that we all start taking some responsibility for our own actions instead of blaming whatever we did on something else / a manufacturer. That won't happen though. Or at least I see it as a low probability.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #319
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I guess my point is that I believe the technology exists to disable visual-heavy apps while driving a car. I can understand talking on the phone, or using a GPS that gives you audible alerts, but using something that requires you to look down to use, while you are driving a car is just stupidity. People just aren't that brilliant, they are going to use it, and cause accidents.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #320
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
And they should be held accountable then. Wouldn't you agree? Make an example of enough of them, and it'll either thin the herd / cull the stupid, or the message will get across.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #321
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
It's my assertion that these companies can tell the driver from the passenger, the train/bus from a car, etc. But even if they can't, it could still be done.

Quote:
And they should be held accountable then. Wouldn't you agree? Make an example of enough of them, and it'll either thin the herd / cull the stupid, or the message will get across.
Held accountable is already too late.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #322
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:

I agree with you as well, certainly there can be a way around it if one really saw it as a huge problem that needed to be addressed.

I don't see it as a huge problem though. I think instead of trying to further a nanny state that we all start taking some responsibility for our own actions instead of blaming whatever we did on something else / a manufacturer. That won't happen though. Or at least I see it as a low probability.
I agree, we do need to take into account our own actions. But the problem is causing an accident with others which could potentially be fatal. And that is why I think something like this would be nice since there are far too many incidents these days due to people using their phones on the road.

Anyways, sorry for the sidetrack OP! back to the topic of the thread lol
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #323
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:

I agree, we do need to take into account our own actions. But the problem is causing an accident with others which could potentially be fatal. And that is why I think something like this would be nice since there are far too many incidents these days due to people using their phones on the road.

Anyways, sorry for the sidetrack OP! back to the topic of the thread lol
Hey, I'm all for sidetracks. The tangential conversation was applicable and relevant.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #324
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Now_Rudi and I had a huge amount of fun with one individual a few months back, I feel he was only a few posts away from an apoplectic stroke.
I have a new candidate! lols
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15573.50
MKSixer34171.50
      11-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #325
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I'm definitely in for this one.
MKSixer34171.50
      11-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #326
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Are you going to share in the wealth or no??? PM me - have to get them into OT.

Is it WR?
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
King Rudi13152.00
MKSixer34171.50
      11-20-2019, 06:34 AM   #327
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Are you going to share in the wealth or no??? PM me - have to get them into OT.

Is it WR?
This individual already participates in OT.....and far too often in my opinion. The only reason the ignore button hasn't been pressed is that reading their nonsense, makes me feel better about my human condition.

Indeed, it is.
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
Rmtt8206.00
      11-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #328
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

"$1000 fine for littering". How many of these citations have you written?

I don't even know of anyone rumored to have been cited
      11-21-2019, 05:43 AM   #329
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
"$1000 fine for littering". How many of these citations have you written?

I don't even know of anyone rumored to have been cited
I've cited for CVC 23111 (..tossing a lit cigarette, cigar or other lighted artifact out of a vehicle onto a public road, or committing that same act as a pedestrian), and a few similar fines. Is that what you're referring to?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 05:56 AM   #330
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I've cited for CVC 23111 (..tossing a lit cigarette, cigar or other lighted artifact out of a vehicle onto a public road, or committing that same act as a pedestrian), and a few similar fines. Is that what you're referring to?
We have a seldom used offence in Ontario under the Environmental Protection Act that forbids any person from abandoning any material likely to become litter. It's a beauty because it isn't limited to public space like the litter highway offence. I used it a few times to correct poor attitudes.
Appreciate 0