BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

06-04-2022, 03:54 AM   #1
Bornwith2hands
Rep
Drives: Honda City

Family man looking for a cheap yet sturdy alternative

This might send some people rolling in laughter and some throw a disdainful smile. But honestly, I'm looking forward to a really inexpensive, decent-looking watch now. I intend to wear this one during the weekends; the only time of the week the old 'trouble-and-strife' literally chases me around to run the household chores.
I found the Slim Runway and the Gage Chronograph immensely attractive for the purpose, looks and the budget I have. Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger on both . However, before I do that,I look up the learned folk here for some first-hand lowdown on these two models.
In the sense:
i. If anyone is already using any or both these models?
ii. When did you have to change the batteries?
iii. Is it easy for water to get inside them?
iv. May I expect them to stay shiny all throughout?
v. What's the life expectancy of these watches?
I'm aware of the Seiko 5 or the Orient or the Citizen; I already own a few, so do not recommend these brands. But you can definitely direct me towards other MK models in the league of these two models.
Thanks for reading me out.

Last edited by Bornwith2hands; 06-04-2022 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: Correcting Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 03:23 PM   #2
Boston4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 N51 M-Sport 6MT

Overall, neither of these watches (and likely nothing produced by MK) is a good fit for this use case.

ii. Generally most quartz watches in this price range will require a battery every ~2 years, so how long it takes for it to require its first battery change depends mostly on how much time has elapsed from when it left the factory to when you bought it (you'd hope that the movements are stopped, that's not always the case).
iii. As a general rule, I don't expose watches to water unless they have a screw down crown - certainly not any chronographs. Too many opportunities for water ingress. I would not expect either of these watches to survive being subjected to regular water exposure.
iv. Not sure which colors you're looking at, but if it's anything other than steel-tone, the PVD case treatment will scratch/wear off quickly. The crystal in both is a mineral crystal, rather than a sapphire one, so it will be prone to scratches. I would not expect particularly robust clasps or bracelets, either. The case sizes are on the large side, so it'll be easier to bang them into stuff.

TLDR: These are cheap, disposable fashion watches. I would not expect them to last a long time or to hold up well to regular wear. I'd wear a Seiko, Orient, or Citizen 10/10 times before I'd wear a MK, especially for doing chores.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 01:14 PM   #3
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
^^Agreed. I would wear a Timex or Casio and many others before putting on a MK watch. Heck, I would even consider a toy Swatch over an MK watch!
      06-08-2022, 06:54 PM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I know you said you didn't want a Citizen recommendation nor do I know which Citizen watches you have. But I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-D.../dp/B016R90ZK2

Although I bought it at Jomashop for much less....just under $300. This is my everyday beat around watch. The metal bracelet has been comfortable and durable. I've dunked the watch in water from swimming in a pool (both regular and salt water) along with going into the ocean with it. It's held up to all of those abuses. In addition, no worries about batteries as it's an Ecodrive. And to add to the durability of the watch, it has a sapphire crystal.

I've had this watch since 2018 and it's survived the above abuse without issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 07:07 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

See the MK Gauge uses a mineral glass for the crystal. And for that price range that is fine or expected ?
But I was listening to a Watchfinder & Co video last week and they said be sure to get a sapphire crystal.
I don't know if you should make a purchase dependent of mineral of sapphire, but it might be something worth researching.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 07:25 PM   #6
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Get a Galaxy Smartwatch. You can change the face anytime and it works with IOS too. It also looks more like a real watch than the Apple watch. I bought an anodized black link bracelet for mine as I don't like those thin rubber bands.
      06-09-2022, 12:02 PM   #7
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I know you said you didn't want a Citizen recommendation nor do I know which Citizen watches you have. But I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-Drive-Perpetual-Calendar-BL8140-55E/dp/B016R90ZK2

Although I bought it at Jomashop for much less....just under $300. This is my everyday beat around watch. The metal bracelet has been comfortable and durable. I've dunked the watch in water from swimming in a pool (both regular and salt water) along with going into the ocean with it. It's held up to all of those abuses. In addition, no worries about batteries as it's an Ecodrive. And to add to the durability of the watch, it has a sapphire crystal.

I've had this watch since 2018 and it's survived the above abuse without issue.
You can't go wrong with a Citizen EcoDrive. With perpetual calendar, it's a great set it forget it daily watch! I have 2 perpetual calendar EcoDrive for more than 15 years and my Dad also has one for about that time frame and all of them are still ticking without issues today.
      06-09-2022, 05:31 PM   #8
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Take a look at G Shock
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 10:54 AM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
You can't go wrong with a Citizen EcoDrive. With perpetual calendar, it's a great set it forget it daily watch! I have 2 perpetual calendar EcoDrive for more than 15 years and my Dad also has one for about that time frame and all of them are still ticking without issues today.
I have two Calendriers. The one I mentioned in my post above and another that's more dressier. Both watches have gotten compliments from random people. And with these perpetual calendar watches, it's also awesome they account for leap years. Also, both of my watches have an alarm function.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 01:59 AM   #10
Bornwith2hands
Rep

Hey guys. Thanks a ton to everyone for their suggestions for the 'real' watches. I agree to what you all said; still, I'd like to see till what extent an MK would hold. Call this my own sweet, little version of a destruction spree. Guess that's the untamed brat inside me speaking.

Seriously folks, I would like to see how far a fashion watch might hold. krisige got my curiosity going.

Last edited by Bornwith2hands; 06-11-2022 at 05:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 05:41 AM   #11
Bornwith2hands
Rep

To zx10guy: This one. Got it from Creation watches in 2013. Going great till now.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 10:48 AM   #12
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

If you are still looking for alternatives in terms of fashion watches, I have a couple from Linjer and have been happy with them.

I have this chronograph:

https://www.linjer.co/collections/ch...=7077415780412

And this one. Although the one I have, it appears they don't manufacture anymore. It's the same case but the dial on mine is black with white indices and hands.

https://www.linjer.co/collections/me...37015822008514

Both watches have sapphire crystals and have Ronda movements.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 07:54 PM   #13
Chaos236
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne , 640 GC

All made by Fossil, huge multi brand manufacturing I think Dallas based. Good company.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 08:11 PM   #14
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I recently bought a Seiko watch which made me buy a second semi limited run watch. Love them both, great reliable watches from what I’ve seen and punch above their weight for the money. I wouldn’t say Omega quality but still very nice.

Appreciate 5
VipinLJ1936.50
Dino GT35121.00
Dang3r12503.00
DonJuan536.00
      06-27-2022, 02:13 AM   #15
roadrace
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
See the MK Gauge uses a mineral glass for the crystal. And for that price range that is fine or expected ?
But I was listening to a Watchfinder & Co video last week and they said be sure to get a sapphire crystal.
I don't know if you should make a purchase dependent of mineral of sapphire, but it might be something worth researching.
Sapphire is much harder and therefore resists scratches. but it's not bulletproof and can still get scratched or shattered. The only realistic fix for either is to replace it. So after the higher cost of purchase, you also have a higher cost of repair.

Mineral will scratch far easier, but you can polish it out yourself.

I'm guessing we're not talking about a keepsake watch here, so the extra cost of sapphire is not warranted. When they do use a sapphire crystal, also the rest of the watch tends to be more expensive as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 02:18 AM   #16
roadrace
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I'll add a vote for G Shock.

But also, check out Shinola. Made in Detroit. Even with Made in USA, these are cheaper than Made in EU watches that they compete with, finish quality wise.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 12:13 AM   #17
Bornwith2hands
Rep

This watch looks great, bro. Is it from the Turtle series? @ c1pher

Last edited by Bornwith2hands; 07-06-2022 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 06:09 AM   #18
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornwith2hands View Post
This watch looks great, bro. Is it from the Turtle series? @ c1pher
Yes, king turtle. It looks kind of like a grenade. It really caught my eye. Very comfortable too.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 08:30 AM   #19
Bornwith2hands
Rep

Sorry for the prolonged absence, good folk; but as every family man would know, we all are produced by mother and directed by wife (guess that's what makes us as interesting as movies, right guys?) so free will, at times, takes a backseat. However, despite buying the Gage I wasn't been able to wear it for long; my bro-in-law is wearing it currently. So I had to shift my interest to elsewhere.

I went back to the same people whom I got that Citizen from for the Runway and to my surprise, I found an upcoming microbrand offering Beobachtungsuhren-inspired pilot pieces with the option to pre-order. Here you'll find the details (https://www.creationwatches.com/ratio-skysurfer/) and also on their homepage. What do you think,guys? I would like to get one as my daily wear.

Last edited by Bornwith2hands; 07-13-2022 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: Forgot to provide the pic; grammar correction.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 04:11 AM   #20
Bornwith2hands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Yes, king turtle. It looks kind of like a grenade. It really caught my eye. Very comfortable too.
My long-cherished love for Turtles grew leaps and bounds.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 06:42 AM   #21
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My long-cherished love for Turtles grew leaps and bounds.
I feel it looks more expensive than it is. Seiko seems to be really stepping up their game in the sub $1k range.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 04:31 PM   #22
Boston4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 N51 M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Sorry for the prolonged absence, good folk; but as every family man would know, we all are produced by mother and directed by wife (guess that's what makes us as interesting as movies, right guys?) so free will, at times, takes a backseat. However, despite buying the Gage I wasn't been able to wear it for long; my bro-in-law is wearing it currently. So I had to shift my interest to elsewhere.

I went back to the same people whom I got that Citizen from for the Runway and to my surprise, I found an upcoming microbrand offering Beobachtungsuhren-inspired pilot pieces with the option to pre-order. Here you'll find the details (https://www.creationwatches.com/ratio-skysurfer/) and also on their homepage. What do you think,guys? I would like to get one as my daily wear.
For the money, you could certainly do worse, but personally, the NH38A would not be my first choice for a watch movement. You can find microbrands or more established brands that are (a) already sold rather than being offered for preorder, and (b) using higher quality movements that will be more accurate and robust.

Some similar style watches that I'd consider:
  • Hamilton Khaki Automatic
  • Laco Aachen
  • Baltic HMS002

You mentioned that you don't want to consider Seiko - they pack a pretty heavy punch in this price range, but I omitted them because of that. Worth noting: the Ratio watch that you're looking at is a Seiko movement.
Appreciate 0