BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-12-2020, 11:59 PM   #1
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Alliance Between BMW & Toyota May Extend Beyond 2025

Quote:
BMW CEO says sees Toyota alliance going beyond 2025
BMW Chief Executive Oliver Zipse on Thursday said he would seek to strengthen bonds with Toyota and wants the current alliance between the German and Japanese carmaker centered on fuel cells and convertibles, going beyond 2025.
“In the next decades, we would do well to strengthen bonds,” Zipse told the Automobilwoche Kongress on Thursday.
The alliance which currently includes a cooperation deal on fuel cell cars and joint development of a sports-car, should continue beyond 2025, Zipse said.
Fuel cell cars, which are powered by hydrogen, may benefit from a concerted push by policymakers, to industrialise the production of hydrogen, Zipse said.
Separately, Zipse said BMW is seeking ways to save costs by slimming down its portfolio of models.
“Coupés, convertibles and roadsters, we will see what will be left,” Zipse said, commenting about one of the areas where BMW is reviewing its product offering
. (Emphasis added.)
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN27S27L
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      11-13-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
[B“Coupés, convertibles and roadsters, we will see what will be left,” Zipse said, commenting about one of the areas where BMW is reviewing its product offering[/B]. (Emphasis added.)
We've already heard whispers of the Z4 and two door 8 Series models not being renewed, so this comment comes as no surprise. I think the writing is already on the wall for these two.

The tougher questions arise when we talk about the higher volume but nevertheless steadily shrinking demand for today's two-door 2 Series and 4 Series products. We already know the 2 Series Convertible will not get a second generation. But how much longer can the contracting two-door market realistically support both a 2 Series Coupe and 4 Series Coupe? And if you have to pick just one, which is it? If you let one go, obviously the corresponding M model would become a casualty as well. However, maybe there is a way to satisfy enthusiast demand with a single model lineup, perhaps sized in between the existing two. I am speculating of course, but it would not surprise me if these types of conversations are already taking place.

Further out, if four door car sales also continue to fall, where does that leave the sedan and Gran Coupe lineups? Does the world, especially past 2030, need seven distinct three-box BMW product lines? Almost surely not, no. Maybe the 2/4/(6?)/8 become the first to transition to all-electric, while the traditional 1/3/5/7 hold onto the ICE for a mix of PHEV and EV into next decade. But is that going to be sustainable/economical? Or must more aggressive action be taken?

It'll be interesting to see how they manage all of this. Something has to give, and smart money says that simply cutting today's low hanging fruit isn't going to be enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
We've already heard whispers of the Z4 and two door 8 Series models not being renewed, so this comment comes as no surprise. I think the writing is already on the wall for these two.

The tougher questions arise when we talk about the higher volume but nevertheless steadily shrinking demand for today's two-door 2 Series and 4 Series products. We already know the 2 Series Convertible will not get a second generation. But how much longer can the contracting two-door market realistically support both a 2 Series Coupe and 4 Series Coupe? And if you have to pick just one, which is it? If you let one go, obviously the corresponding M model would become a casualty as well. However, maybe there is a way to satisfy enthusiast demand with a single model lineup, perhaps sized in between the existing two. I am speculating of course, but it would not surprise me if these types of conversations are already taking place.

Further out, if four door car sales also continue to fall, where does that leave the sedan and Gran Coupe lineups? Does the world, especially past 2030, need seven distinct three-box BMW product lines? Almost surely not, no. Maybe the 2/4/(6?)/8 become the first to transition to all-electric, while the traditional 1/3/5/7 hold onto the ICE for a mix of PHEV and EV into next decade. But is that going to be sustainable/economical? Or must more aggressive action be taken?

It'll be interesting to see how they manage all of this. Something has to give, and smart money says that simply cutting today's low hanging fruit isn't going to be enough.
I've heard the same whispers (fear you're right) and recognize the validity of your points but am still going to hope further alliance might include joint development of another generation of small, fun & cute 2 door cars. Hard for me to imagine no G87 successor (& not only because I don't want to).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I just went through the car wash line at Costco. New machines for recording your card are so high that I wouldn't have been able to reach them from my car. They are obviously raised because so many folks are driving SUVs now instead of cars. The march to SUVs is apparently continuing unabated.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 09:07 AM   #5
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BMW boss Oliver Zipse at the Automobilwoche Kongress: "Will see all types of drive for a very long time"

BMW goes into the second electric offensive. CEO Oliver Zipse does not want to write off petrol and diesel for a long time. Both drives will be seen for a very long time, he said at the Automobilwoche congress. It also gives the fuel cell great opportunities.

BMW boss Oliver Zipse is certain: "We will see all types of drive for a very, very long time", said the CEO at the Automobilwoche congress. Zipse firmly believes that combustion technologies will continue to exist.

Even the ramp-up of electromobility will not lead to the other forms of propulsion disappearing, "not even in a decade or two," as Zipse adds. "There are markets in which battery-powered electromobility will prevail."

Hydrogen as the fifth pillar
Above all, Zipse expects a lot from hydrogen and the fuel cell, which BMW plans to test in a small series of an X5 from the end of 2022. And not just in Europe, but worldwide, as Zipse announced. "I am firmly convinced that this will become a fifth pillar in our drive concept," alongside gasoline, diesel, electric and hybrid engines. That is why BMW is working with Toyota to further advance the fuel cell.

The technology is particularly suitable for heavy vehicles of the upper class, and for regions in which the infrastructure for pure electric cars is lacking. In Japan, for example, there is already a well-developed network of hydrogen filling stations. "Gasoline engines, diesel, pure electric vehicles, plug-in hybrids and also hydrogen will coexist", Zipse is certain. "And everyone contributes to climate protection."

Zipse warns of a ban on burners
"The worst that could happen," warns Zipse: "They are banning the combustion engine and people are not switching to electromobility." Because then, he warns, customers who do not want or cannot switch to electric would probably "continue to drive their old combustion engines" for years without the drive being further developed.

"We mustn't forget the combustion engine so that it will be further developed in the next few years," said Zipse. This also makes a contribution to reducing CO2 emissions. Just like the recently criticized plug-in hybrid. "Even if it is not charged, as a hybrid it consumes less in city traffic than a pure combustion engine.

Zipse is not worried about fines in Europe due to CO2 emissions. "We adjusted our product range at an early stage. We will probably achieve the 2020 and 2021 CO2 targets."

Enthusiastic about iX test drive
The BMW boss reported enthusiastically about his most recent test drive in the new BMW iX, which he unveiled on Wednesday. At the end of October he was on a two-day tour in Eastern Bavaria with some engineers. "And we were really excited about the car's characteristics. We all sat in this car with big grins."

Technically, the vehicle is pushing the limits of what is possible. "We are pushing the limits of what is technically possible and what is permitted." He does not see the fact that, contrary to what was initially announced, the car does not drive fully autonomously according to Level 3, but only has significantly improved Level 2 functions. "Nobody buys a car because of the assistance system."
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...trip=1&vwsrc=0
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #6
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I can see 2 doors gets really niche, but expect sedan to maintain some baseline level rather than just keep going down
Appreciate 0