BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #67
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
^ What he said. Be afraid, very afraid. The posters in this thread have shown their best behavior. And that's all I have to say. Not even going to chime in on thread topic.

Carry on.

07-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #68
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Not even going to chime in on thread topic.

Carry on.
Wimp!
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      07-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #69
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Wimp!
Come on, Uncle. Why beat a dead horse just to chime in? The OP already read our holier than thou comments.

It was perfectly OK for my little brother to take the car without a license but I couldn't. My father told me I didn't have jewelry Balls said the queen, If I had them I'd be king. But that was 40 years ago. Things are different now. The guy can do whatever he wants to do, just think posting it on the internet isn't the smartest idea. This shit is forever. We were stupid but there was no proof back then that followed you.
      07-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #70
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

^whippersnappers just don't know not to reveal how often, nor when exactly, they drove off from the driveway in the Volvo 245DL that eventually was bequeathed to them as DD.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #71
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
^whippersnappers just don't know not to reveal how often, nor when exactly, they drove off from the driveway in the Volvo 245DL that eventually was bequeathed to them as DD.
1973 Ford LTD. It was freakin yellow. Didn't even have passenger side view mirrors - they weren't standard equipment yet.
      07-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #72
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

My girls are adults now, they learned on my work trucks, driving crew-cab v8's in tree hugger cambridge gave them the confidence to drive anything anywhere

Hold your fire, yes they were mass permit holding drivers at the time

I just want my kid(s) to have experience, learn good driving habits early is the key imo
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #73
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
My girls are adults now, they learned on my work trucks, driving crew-cab v8's in tree hugger cambridge gave them the confidence to drive anything anywhere

I just want my kid(s) to have experience, learn good driving habits early is the key imo
I wasn't firing at you. Your kid, your call. Just said I didn't think it was a good idea to post it on the net.
      07-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #74
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I wasn't firing at you. Your kid, your call. Just said I didn't think it was a good idea to post it on the net.
Not directed @ you, hold your fire was aimed at others that consider me a di*^ for breaking state laws

14 It's perfectly safe and allowed in other state(s) but in others it's neglect and dangerous
A true "scofflaw"
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #75
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Not directed @ you, hold your fire was aimed at others that consider me a di*^ for breaking state laws

14 It's perfectly safe and allowed in other state(s) but in others it's neglect and dangerous
A true "scofflaw"
A logical leap is not one you are making here.

But you know that, and you are going to go ahead and do it anyways. I just hope no one gets hurt. Particularly innocent third parties and your son.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
Maynard3804.50
      07-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #76
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:

A true "scofflaw"
A logical leap is not one you are making here.

But you know that, and you are going to go ahead and do it anyways. I just hope no one gets hurt. Particularly innocent third parties and your son.
Let's pray for all the family's in KC and Des Moines they legally have 14 year olds driving

Yes I agree with you it's young to be driving and I could loose my shirt because of my liability (letting him drive with a out of state permit)

I appreciate everyone's comments and criticism

learners permit = learning to drive, parents in the car with him, he's not going on the autobahn or picking up hookers at midnight with a 1/5 of vodka in his lap (that's his uncle) he's taking his mom to the market and to the dry cleaners (think Sunday driver)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #77
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1973 Ford LTD. It was freakin yellow. Didn't even have passenger side view mirrors - they weren't standard equipment yet.
We called it "The Pickle Wagon". Pea soup green, had been thru a sand storm in Mojave and the paint was pitted/sanded. Wasn't anyone around in 1975 who knew how to paint a Swedish car, so IF I tried to wash it, there was green running down the driveway, and mom wouldn't let me use anything to dry it off.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #78
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
We called it "The Pickle Wagon". Pea soup green, had been thru a sand storm in Mojave and the paint was pitted/sanded. Wasn't anyone around in 1975 who knew how to paint a Swedish car, so IF I tried to wash it, there was green running down the driveway, and mom wouldn't let me use anything to dry it off.
Off topic

Did your family originally order the Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon with the CB radio and the Rally Fun Pack for its cross country trip?

Every time I hear metallic green anything I think of the Griswolds

My god, that movie was over 35 years ago
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #79
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Off topic

Did your family originally order the Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon with the CB radio and the Rally Fun Pack for its cross country trip?

Every time I hear metallic green anything I think of the Griswolds

My god, that movie was over 35 years ago
No, for traveling we always had a conversion van
      07-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #80
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
My daughter got her learners permit as allowed here at 15. She only drove with us in the car. When she started talking about being able to drive by herself...I asked whose car you plan on driving?

I did tell her that whatever she saved up for buying a car (She has always had a job since she was old enough), I would match it so at 16yo...she bought a Lime Green Bug.

She beat the shit out of that car. About 3 years later she was ready to finance one and start building her credit....I said I only want you to remember one thing.

Driving around a dented car that you are making payments on really sucks. She took a lot better care of that one!
I got my license when I was 15 and 4 days old. No such thing as a learners permit back then, and you had to be 15 to drive. Few days of quick lessons, and I was unleashed on the world with a full license.

I had been riding motorcycles since I was 8, and tractors from about the same age. Had a gas powered go-kart prior to that. Drove cars on the farm since I was about 12, So I wasn't exactly new at handling vehicles with a clutch etc.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      07-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #81
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
No harm in being a proud dad. I've got pics of my boys driving my cars.
Me, too!

I just fear what will happen if a squirrel runs across the road in front of him, because he will surely chase it until he crashes into a tree.....
Run Silent15127.00
King Rudi13152.00
      07-12-2019, 01:24 AM   #82
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Me, too!

I just fear what will happen if a squirrel runs across the road in front of him, because he will surely chase it until he crashes into a tree.....
      07-12-2019, 05:47 AM   #83
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I got my license when I was 15 and 4 days old. No such thing as a learners permit back then, and you had to be 15 to drive. Few days of quick lessons, and I was unleashed on the world with a full license.

I had been riding motorcycles since I was 8, and tractors from about the same age. Had a gas powered go-kart prior to that. Drove cars on the farm since I was about 12, So I wasn't exactly new at handling vehicles with a clutch etc.
In NY, as long as you took drivers ed in school, you got your permit and could get your license at 16 and drive as long you had a licensed driver with you. Back then, there was no age restriction on said licensed driver so I could be with an older friend and it was OK. At 17 it was a full blown no restriction license.
      07-12-2019, 06:11 AM   #84
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post

Oh..it was the same here. I grew up on dirt bikes, go-karts, tractors at my Grandfather's place....hell he even made me drive the old "three on the tree" truck if we had to go somewhere and he had been partaking in a little too much of his favorite beverage!
      07-12-2019, 06:17 AM   #85
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Holy cow...same here. This one was Olive Green. I actually bought my first car...a 1981 Ford Mercury Capri that had a 302 in it. Dad caught me roasting tires in it one day...and took it away and put me in the LTD until I "learned my lesson".

Told me...you won't spin the tires in that one day when I was leaving. Being a little rebellious....I pulled out in the road (It was a desolate road in front of our house)...drove about 50ft forward while he was standing in the yard.

I then put it in reverse and floored it. When I got it going as fast as I could manage, I immediately slammed the car down into drive without pulling my foot off of the gas.

The car lurched to a halt...paused...then slightly chirped the tires as it started back forward.

Lost my license for about 2 weeks after that incident!
      07-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #86
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I asked my kids is it still a big thing to get a drivers license? I know I counted the days hours before I was legit

Most just say I'll take a Uber, I asked my kids about other teens wanting to drive they said it's more like half want it half don't care

Reasons? Lots of reasons but expense was #1 in my little survey

So last night I searched news articles about the decline of teens wanting to drive, that's what you do when your in the ER pissing out blood and a chatter box needle addict drag queen is sitting next to you, just acted busy on my phone not to communicate back

So I got some useless info to share with you all

Some info I found:
Only 22 percent of licensed drivers are less than 30
Only 75 percent of 19 year olds, and 49 percent of 17 year olds, have bothered to obtain a driver's license

Automobile Mag
-Ronald Ahrens
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #87
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:

So last night I searched news articles about the decline of teens wanting to drive, that's what you do when your in the ER pissing out blood and a chatter box needle addict drag queen is sitting next to you
now this is getting good
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #88
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Texas Girl, 12, Drives Car, Hits and Kills Man and His Dog

However, officials later revealed said that an adult male allowed her to drive, KHOU reported.

https://www.newsweek.com/fountain-vi...-kills-1454756
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50