BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #23
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Hilton Head looks OK but I am getting a South Beach vibe of monumentally over priced food and drinks, add the $USD exchange and i can see it getting seriously expensive.

What would you drop a day on food, drinks, tips and other random shit Americans charge you for but don't tell you about? $300?
Great golf, she crab soup, and shrimp and grits is hard to beat.......
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #24
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
A second vote for a budget.

South of France is nice, depends on your budget.
Where exactly? I am struggling with an itinerary as I have no idea about the region.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #25
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
I just priced out a week in early OCT-19 at Turtle Bay in Hawaii with an ocean front room and round trip airfare from Toronto and it came to $3,100. So very doable in your budget.
Turtle Bay can be a bit...rustic. It looked great in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" but not so much in January. However, there are plenty of nice AirBnB options. The east side has fairly calm beaches and a few photogenic spots as well. Relevant low-quality picture attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:55 PM   #26
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Hilton Head looks OK but I am getting a South Beach vibe of monumentally over priced food and drinks, add the $USD exchange and i can see it getting seriously expensive.

What would you drop a day on food, drinks, tips and other random shit Americans charge you for but don't tell you about? $300?
It's absolutely nothing even close to South Beach. LOL

South Beach is crazy insane partiers 24/7. HHI is very chill. They do not allow any neon signs on the island at all, and lighting on the beach must be kept to a minimum (due to turtles nesting). Its sometimes hard to find things because there are no big signs everywhere. All of them are small wooden signs that are very non-descript. Even places like McDonalds.

My fiance and I go there every year in May. (right before memorial day). We were supposed to have another couple coming down with us, so we got a 2 bedroom (1300 sq ft) condo on the ocean right near Coligny Beach (the main beach area on the island). We paid about $1800 for the week for ocean front. If its just you and the misses, you can get away with a 1 bedroom condo for closer to $1100 for the week.

As for food, you can spend as much as you like. They have plenty of local places there with very reasonably priced food (dinner for 2 under $40). If you head down to the south side of the island, into sea pines plantation, things can get more expensive. Theres a couple nice restaurants on the ocean that you can easily drop $200+ on dinner. Overall, it's not really as expensive as you think. Like I said, you're looking at the off season.

Tee times on world class golf courses are also reasonable during that time of year, particularly if you pick the mid-day times.

Other fun things to do:

Charter Fishing (Have some recommendations for charters if you want)
Kayaking
Hiking (watch out for gators!)
Shopping (lots of shopping...)
Other water sports
.. a lot more.

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of this place. Its likely where I'm going to retire to some day soon.

EDIT: Speaking of Charter Fishing. Heres a video I shot last month when I was down there:

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #27
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I hear the Dominican Republic is nice.
      06-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #28
OrcaPod
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 528i N52 engine

- Fiji
- Bora-Bora/Tahiti
as it was suggested already.

Fiji could be a better option as most of the islands there provide different types of accommodations for various budgets. Some islands have only one hotel but the types of accommodations can vary from backpacking price range to luxury. It's a long road from Toronto but well worth it.

Personally I liked Fiji more than Bora Bora due to cultural experience although both are stunning places to visit.

Caribbean can be hit and miss given the time frame you're planning to travel in.
Turks and Caicos (Seven Mile Beach is stunning) might be an option to consider and a relatively short trip from Toronto but then again gotta watch out for hurricanes.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2019, 03:13 PM   #29
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

We only have a week and if i am going all the way to Fiji i'll just go home.

Hilton head, yeah read enough reviews bitching about exorbitant pricing, mystery resort fees, ad-hoc fees, tipping added automatically but it's not really tipping ... i can't stand that BS, just can't cop it.

Southern France, anyone spent considerable time there? Would you fly into Nice or Marseille?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #30
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Hilton head, yeah read enough reviews bitching about exorbitant pricing, mystery resort fees, ad-hoc fees, tipping added automatically but it's not really tipping ... i can't stand that BS, just can't cop it.
Would be curious to see those reviews. I've literally been going there for 15 years, and never see any of that.

The prices are much cheaper than Hawaii or California. The "mystery resort fees" are not a mystery at all, theres a resort tax on every property on the island. But thats the same as a lot of other tourist destinations. Never been forced to tip for anything, but I tip well anyways.

I agree with you, I can't stand that BS either. But HHI is not known for that.
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #31
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Right? I also hear the drinks are tasty!
tasty? they're to die for!
Appreciate 4
Alfisti6452.50
Run Silent15127.00
King Rudi13152.00
2000cs3443.50
      06-27-2019, 04:24 PM   #32
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
tasty? they're to die for!
I knew if I set it up someone would take it home! Thank you sir!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #33
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Florida Keys is nice that time of year. We also like Destin.
      06-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #34
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

FL (north or south of Miami) is a good spot. It’s starts getting nice here in October, particularly late October. Ok so I’m biased...

New Orleans? You can also try Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA, or splitting some time between them. Hilton Head is also a fine choice, as is Myrtle Beach. Of course, if concerned about visiting FL due to hurricanes then none of those or anything in the Caribbean are better choices. I’ve never been there but Costa Rica is supposed to be beautiful...
      06-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #35
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Curacao is decent and cheap. Not much nightlife if you're into that sort of thing but water is clear, warm and reasonable beaches.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:18 PM   #36
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
TBh the answer to my question is Greece but we have been there.
Was going to suggest this...prices to Athens are cheap that time of year (at least from NYC).

I've been to ~10 Greek islands so if you have any specific questions, just let me know!

Otherwise, Charleston or Savannah as someone suggested would be rather relaxing and nice to see as well.

Up next on my list is likely Iceland...or the Azores. Just depends on the time of year I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:35 PM   #37
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
For Florida, Key West or Clearwater Beach. As mentioned the Waldorf Astoria in K W is amazing, but you can also do condo rentals there, too. We usually do condo rentals when we go there through VRBO. K W is a lot of fun that is for sure!

As for Clearwater Beach, we stay at the Wyndham Clearwater Beach Resort (owners condo tower) but you can rent in the hotel tower side as well. That side is called the Wyndham Grand Clearwater Beach. It is basically the same resort. One tower is hotel rooms open to the public, the other tower is owner condos, in between is a breezeway check-in area with and the pool/restaurant etc. It is a beautiful resort right across the street from the beautiful sugar sand beach.

Or, just down the beach about 1/4 mile is Opal Sands Resort which is right on the ocean. There are a lot of nice hotels/resorts to stay at in that area and the beaches are amazing and there are a lot of very nice restaurants as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 06:33 AM   #38
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

More than a few peeps have mentioned Key West...not sure what the appeal is there. Went a couple years back and was ready to leave after the first day or two. Don't know...just felt like any other trite port of call that was essentially a cruise ship dumping ground. Plenty of other places to visit in Florida instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 07:33 AM   #39
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
More than a few peeps have mentioned Key West...not sure what the appeal is there. Went a couple years back and was ready to leave after the first day or two. Don't know...just felt like any other trite port of call that was essentially a cruise ship dumping ground. Plenty of other places to visit in Florida instead.
Gotta know where to go and when to go.

What I imagine your Key West was:

What my Key West is when I go:

06-28-2019, 07:42 AM   #40
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Actually no, we had the entire boardwalk to ourselves (went mid-March). Was front row and center for the cat show

Fairly nice looking property though...will keep it in mind.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      06-28-2019, 07:58 AM   #41
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Jesus h where is that in key west exactly?

Wife seems set of basing ourselves in Nice and day tripping from there. Not crazy about it myself as to me the actual sightseeing is just boardwalk after boardwalk and it's a connecting flight but whatever, it's her holiday.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      06-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #42
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Was front row and center for the cat show
Ha - that is our good friend, Dominique Lefort. He is a bit, um, eclectic. But super cool.

Quote:
Jesus h where is that in key west exactly?
The first pics or the second set? The first pics are of Malory Square when the cruise ships visit, best to be avoided.

The second set is the only hotel we stay at when we go there, the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina/The Reach.

http://www.casamarinaresort.com/
http://www.reachresort.com/
      06-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #43
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Nice but too expensive. By the time I add taxes and resort fee I am at $400 CDN a night and then get gouged on food and drinks. Breakfast is what, $80CDN for two, that's just fucking silly.

One thing with Europe is they often include breakfast, and a good one at that.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #44
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice but too expensive. By the time I add taxes and resort fee I am at $400 CDN a night and then get gouged on food and drinks. Breakfast is what, $80CDN for two, that's just fucking silly.

One thing with Europe is they often include breakfast, and a good one at that.
The banana cafe is a block away, and is a French bakery. Couple of croissants with cream and jam, along with french press coffee is about $10. We typically just get that in the mornings - screw the Waldorf breakfast, lol. Also, if sitting on the beach, at 10am, they come by with free fresh fruit. At 2pm, they come by again with free snacks and free beach cocktails. Ya just gotta know how to work the system, lol.

Also - if you dig, you can usually find specials on the rooms. I've never paid more than $299 USD per night there.