BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

08-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
AD_K
England
Rep
Drives: 530d M Sport LCI Auto

530d M Sport - newbie - really scared!

Hello to all,

I've just bought my dream car, and I pick it up this Thursday. 530d M Sport Business Edition (auto/step) LCI on a late 2009 plate. (first registered 11/09).

I have a few questions and hoped you might be able to give me some advice.

I've read some really scary things online about swirl flaps breaking off and destroying engines. But have also read that its not so much of a problem with the later (LCI) models. Could someone give me some guidance please? Is it something I need to do something about? Currently scared to death and miserable; rather than happy and excited.

Also I have an iphone4 (not S), can I pair and charge my phone?

Can I use my iPod in the car? Will I be able to control it via idrive?

I guess these questions might be dependant on spec. I have the following:

Auxilliary point for auxilliary devices
BMW professional radio/CD/MP3
USB/audio interface
Bluetooth telephone preparation with telematics
BMW ConnectedDrive - Assist
BMW ConnectedDrive - Online
iDrive Controller and Display w/6.5" monitor
Navigation System Professional Multimedia

As I collect it this Thursday, is there anything else I should be looking for? the test drive went well, autobox was very smooth. No judders changing down from 2 to 1.

Many Thanks

Adam
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Congratulations on the new purchase! You should be excited...not worried!!

I have no idea about the iPhone/ipod questions, but if you have bluetooth with the car, then you will be able to pair it with your phone.

Depending on the mileage of the car, you should check your theromstats via the secret on board coolant display, as if they are weak temps, then you should get the stats replaced, as that could cause poor MPG and other problems.

Another thing to check is to see if it has been recalled for the battery connector issue. I think BMW issued this recall in January this year (in the UK), and I only got my letter just last week informing me that I can now go ahead and book it in for it to be checked and replaced if required.

All in all though..its a great car and you will enjoy it!

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
AD_K
England
Rep

Thanks Raj!

Had a chat with BMW Customer Care UK today, I must admit to being quite surprised, they were absolutely fantastic. I explained my mixture of excitement, and fear! They re-assured me to no end.

I now know its a Dec 2009 car, first registered in June 2010. Warranty until Dec 2012.

The first bit of good news...
The car has something called BMW Service Pack which is valid until Dec 2014! Which apparently means all of my servicing is free! (doesnt cover tyres, brakes, exhaust, wipers)

Second bit of good news...
The car has had the recall work completed on the battery cable cover. So no BBQ in the boot to worry about. With no recalls outstanding.

Third bit of good news...
BMW F.S.H its had all the relevant services at a single main dealer, and has visited them in 2011, early 2012 and then in June 2012. (one must've been for the recall) two I guess are services. Does anyone know what level or type of service these might be?

Forth bits of good news...
It has heated seats (didnt notice), Pro nav and multimedia, which means the iphone4 and ipod will work fine. (but they said explicitly the iphone4s and ipad nano will not work)
It has BMW tele assist AND remote assist of which both have never been registered which means I get 3 years of both!! Apparently there is an iphone app that when hooked up will allow me to remotely lock and unlock the car, and possibly flash the lights too. - just as remote assist would do. Apparently I have an SOS button too in the event of something not good happening.

They said that it was a clean car, excellent condition from their records and that the price I paid was excellent. £44,544 when purchased new.

I feel much more re-assured now and am getting into happy mode

I have one last question (for now), which I hope you dont mind me asking. When I inspected the car I noticed that as per the image below (highlighted in red) there was a triangle shaped tube leading upwards into the engine bay, which I guess relates to the intake. that was rattling around inside the bumper. It looked to me like it had simply popped loose of the clip it locks into, on the bumper. The dealer I bought from said they would check it out for me. I had a look underneath and saw some expected scrapes to the underside of the bumper. Am guessing that the previous owner went over a speed bump or up a ramp a little hard and knocked it out place. Is this anything to worry about? tried to find the part number online but I couldnt.

The other side (highlighted blue) was different, just looked like an angled black blanking plate. Rather than an intake or tube like the red side

Many Thanks

Adam
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Sounds like you got a fantastic spec E60 there!

Its great that you have got the service pack, which means that you have nothing to pay come service time for the next couple of years.

When you get the service book, it will show all the service work that has been completed on past services, such as Engine Oil, Microfilter, Front or rear brakes, etc, so you will be able to see what services were performed. As you have the service pack, you will have nothing to pay anyway for future services

As long as the dealer checks and puts the loose cable (if that is what it is) back into place, then that should be suffice. I am guessing you have bought the car from a BMW dealer, so you will have the BMW AUC warranty on it should any problems occur.
I have never had to claim on it until today, so will see how it goes as my car is booked in for a problem later this week.

Regarding your photo, on mine, both the left and right sides are like your blue side description, (angled black blanking plate).
If you need a photo to compare with, let me know and I'll take a photo of mine and upload for you.

Looks great it titanium silver
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
AD_K
England
Rep

Cheers Raj,

Thats interesting feedback about the angled blanking plates.
I have a feeling one is missing. (the one on the RED side).

If you go here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...52&hg=51&fg=15

I think that the part I'm going to need is either:

07 Dummy plug left ACC2 1 03/2007 51117178105
or
05 Air duct, BKS, left 1 03/2007 51117178111

the part that was loose which they've now fixed is:

02 FRONT LEFT BRAKE AIR DUCT 1 03/2007 51117178085

I wanted the dark grey, or blue but I'm coming round to the Silver now!! love it!!

Thanks!

Adam
Appreciate 0