BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-15-2023, 04:25 PM   #1
catsleepcontainer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Lightbulb Shipping a US BMW 328i to Germany

Dear all,

I have been researching this subject at length (and also reading through past forum posts) and wondering if someone here with personal experience can help advise.

I have just inherited my father's 2016 BMW 328i and hope to figure out how to ship it from LA to Germany, where I currently live (Berlin). While it would probably be more pragmatic to sell it and buy a car in Europe, it has a great sentimental value as my father is no longer with us that I hope to find a way to keep his specific car.

I have contacted many shipping companies and received a range of rates and times, from 30 days to 60 days, 1000 to 3000$; is there a reputable shipping company you have worked with?

And for TÜV compliance, are these repairs done to the car in Germany once it arrives there? Is there any recommended service shops?

Thank you for all insight!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 12:53 AM   #2
rotomoto712
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Convertible

First off, I am sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you and your family. My biggest advice, avoid Schumacher Cargo and Logistics! Their communication is non-existent and your car will sit at the port for months before shipping. Just look up their most recent reviews for confirmation. Many other shippers can be hit or miss, so do careful research on any shippers you may be looking into. Other than that, for conversion, there is a company called auto-kalkofen.de in Bremerhaven that specializes in US to Euro conversions. They are very good, but a little expensive. Usually the biggest needs for conversion are headlights and taillights, they need to conform to EU standards. Good luck, and if you need further help, feel free to send me a PM.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2023, 02:51 AM   #3
gehodib
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsleepcontainer View Post
Dear all,

I have been researching this subject at length (and also reading through past forum posts) and wondering if someone here with personal experience can help advise.

I have just inherited my father's 2016 BMW 328i and hope to figure out how to ship it from LA to Germany, where I currently live (cuphead). While it would probably be more pragmatic to sell it and buy a car in Europe, it has a great sentimental value as my father is no longer with us that I hope to find a way to keep his specific car.

I have contacted many shipping companies and received a range of rates and times, from 30 days to 60 days, 1000 to 3000$; is there a reputable shipping company you have worked with?

And for TÜV compliance, are these repairs done to the car in Germany once it arrives there? Is there any recommended service shops?

Thank you for all insight!
Is this transportation authorized by the government?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 01:08 PM   #4
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
30-60 days is in the ballpark. $1k-$3k is in the ballpark.

Ask your German neighbors/friends/co-workers about TÜV. Or call three local Berlin-area BMW dealers and get references.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2023, 10:31 AM   #5
catsleepcontainer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Thank you so much to all who responded, this is super helpful — especially on who to avoid, as I was indeed in discussion with Schumacher for quote (among others).

A followup question: has anyone who brought an American BMW to Germany had issues over time with future repairs?

Some mechanics have warned me this could be a huge headache in the future, and I'm concerned as I plan on driving to more remote places (also in other countries) for filmmaking where there may not be a BMW dealer nearby.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 12:37 PM   #6
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
You're going to have to change the rear taillights because they don't blink amber in colour for NAR spec cars. Also need rear fog light and corresponding headlight switch
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 03:05 PM   #7
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnikon View Post
You're going to have to change the rear taillights because they don't blink amber in colour for NAR spec cars. Also need rear fog light and corresponding headlight switch
Taillights are expensive so the OP should get a quote on them before calculating his total cost.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 12:35 AM   #8
rotomoto712
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsleepcontainer View Post
Thank you so much to all who responded, this is super helpful — especially on who to avoid, as I was indeed in discussion with Schumacher for quote (among others).

A followup question: has anyone who brought an American BMW to Germany had issues over time with future repairs?

Some mechanics have warned me this could be a huge headache in the future, and I'm concerned as I plan on driving to more remote places (also in other countries) for filmmaking where there may not be a BMW dealer nearby.
I found that it's the opposite actually, especially if you have a model that is available in Europe, which I believe the 328i is. Parts and labor here tend to be significantly cheaper, not to mention you can get them much quicker. I was able to source a brand new OE Schwarz carpet in Germany for an E31 that I was restoring, and better yet, it only took three days to get. This would have been impossible in the states.
Appreciate 0