BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-17-2019, 02:36 AM   #199
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Underachiever

This car should set the benchmarks being late in the game like the Tesla 3 and Tycan.

Why does BMW show no desire to break the mould anymore?
Appreciate 1
clee1982509.50

11-18-2019, 03:25 AM   #200
BigT
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 60Ah Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Honestly that's the reason I find the Tesla's to be better EV's despite all the controversies/downsides. The Supercharger networker is a huge advantage. Its almost like Apple and Android, but when Android wasn't as good/advanced. Not to mention because its all through one company, they have the advantage of integrating all of their services into the car/account. No need to go to a separate website to map a trip or have to go there only to find no stalls available. Outside of Tesla the infrastructure NEEDS to improve!
Common 150kWh Charger network (Ionity) is rapidly growing here. You can see it all along the Autobahnen.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:03 PM   #201
FirstBMWLA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

hopefully early 2021 not late
They are already late to market with this.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN2206.50

11-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #202
joshuastein55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz/BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Common 150kWh Charger network (Ionity) is rapidly growing here. You can see it all along the Autobahnen.
Problem is though is that its not integrated into the software. With say a Tesla, you can put in a destination and it will automatically plan supercharger stops and will even tell you how many stalls are open. While the EV infrastructure is improving, for non-Tesla EV's its still not quite there yet.
      11-19-2019, 05:39 AM   #203
mbanck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Skoda Karoq

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
I have lots of faith in BMW.

However BMW will pay dearly for being so slow in the EV game.
It has been reported that (one of, or the only) reason the I4 is launched in 2021 and not 2019 is that the union managed to get management to agree to build it in the Munich plant, instead of somewhere else. This was a quote from the union head, so not sure how accurate it is (he seemed to think it was a great thing).
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:30 AM   #204
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
It has been reported that (one of, or the only) reason the I4 is launched in 2021 and not 2019 is that the union managed to get management to agree to build it in the Munich plant, instead of somewhere else. This was a quote from the union head, so not sure how accurate it is (he seemed to think it was a great thing).
All but certain to be false. If the dual motor AWD setup were ready to go, it'd be coming in the iX3.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #205
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:
I have lots of faith in BMW.

However BMW will pay dearly for being so slow in the EV game.
The Minister of Finance in Germany told them all to get going.

Mainly because the German economy depends on it.

Unions are also a force in the decisions.

I have no doubt your story is true.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #206
///M TOWN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quote:
All but certain to be false. If the dual motor AWD setup were ready to go, it'd be coming in the iX3.
BMW's biggest problem is producing batteries, not producing their eMotor setups.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #207
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW's biggest problem is producing batteries, not producing their eMotor setups.
I won't deny that (nor can I confirm it).

I am simply saying that the lack of AWD for the iX3 is a glaring omission. It is pretty strong evidence that BMW has no electric AWD setup ready to go to production for 2020. As such, that is reason enough alone to demonstrate that the i4 can not have been readied for 2020.

That said, we didn't really need a reasoned argument to begin with. The assertion (that the union was able to delay a product for two years) treads thoroughly into nonsense land to begin with. That's the kind of FUD that should peg any reasonably functioning BS-O-meter.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #208
///M TOWN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quote:
I won't deny that (nor can I confirm it).

I am simply saying that the lack of AWD for the iX3 is a glaring omission. It is pretty strong evidence that BMW has no electric AWD setup ready to go to production for 2020. As such, that is reason enough alone to demonstrate that the i4 can not have been readied for 2020.

That said, we didn't really need a reasoned argument to begin with. The assertion (that the union was able to delay a product for two years) treads thoroughly into nonsense land to begin with. That's the kind of FUD that should peg any reasonably functioning BS-O-meter.
The reality is staring the unions right in the face.

It's cheaper to build EV's.
Appreciate 1
ted9965.50

11-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #209
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The reality is staring the unions right in the face.

It's cheaper to build EV's.
True enough.

Nevertheless, we can't blame the labor force for BMW's latent product arrival. That's all on BMW corporate.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN2206.50
ted9965.50

11-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #210
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Problem is though is that its not integrated into the software. With say a Tesla, you can put in a destination and it will automatically plan supercharger stops and will even tell you how many stalls are open. While the EV infrastructure is improving, for non-Tesla EV's its still not quite there yet.
Having an i3.. I can say this is an understatement! The Tesla network is vastly ahead of everyone else. I have a REX i3, and I would not rely on the existing charging infrastructure for a long trip.

BMW was so far in the lead with i3/i8.. then totally dropped the ball.

And the fact the iX3 isnt AWD is just laughable.. this will appeal to few at best.
Appreciate 2
ted9965.50

11-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #211
ted99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5 40e

Living in South Texas, a RWD iX3 will appeal to me. In fact, if offered the option to order it RWD, only, with AWD available, I would order RWD. I have a 330e lease tolling next June and want a Full EV to replace it. Under consideration are the iX3, M-B EQC, Volvo XC40 and the "Mustang" EV. I think that paying over $75K for an EV that will be available in the 2020 time frame is foolish because of the rapid advances in EV tech. BMW's iX3, the i4 and the iNext with their Gen 5 EV tech will probably be as good as things get until solid state batteries are available. Cost (I can afford any of these, but I didn't get to be able to do that by being foolish with my money) is why I ruled out the Audi eTron and it will probably rule out the M-B EQC, as well. The Ford is priced correctly for it's capabilities and I placed a pre-order deposit, but hanging the "Mustang" nameplate on it is a total turn-off to my wife. She does not want to be a part of the cohort that own's Mustangs (Back in the day, I owned a '65 Shelby GT350 but that was then). So, it won't be the "Mustang". I also have a pre-order deposit on the Volvo full EV XC40, which if priced at the base Mustang level , is a winner. This is a second in-town vehicle as my ordered 2020 530e will do intercity duty. At the moment, I don't know whether I would prefer the RWD iX3 or the Volvo and it will probably hinge on delivered price and date of availability. I want the second vehicle to have fording capability of at least 12" because of flooded intersections several times a year in Houston. By the time I'm ready to trade the 530e, I expect we'll have solid state batteries and my primary car will be an EV. I had a 2014 i3 and two PHEV's so I'm sold on electrification, but I'm not going to take a bath the way I did on the i3. "Fool me once...."
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #212
Kjenndal
Germany
Rep
Drives: -

600 km according to NEFZ and not WLTP!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 09:07 PM   #213
phantomF80
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Not just planning the stops, but also provide recommended charging amount so you don't need to sit longer than needed at a supercharger. Also nice to be able to see available supercharger slots around the area on both the phone and in the car.
Appreciate 2