BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #67
DemolitionJim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 MW M3

i daily vans chukka low's, supras, nikes, and on the rarest of occasions i break out the android homme space monsters and various others from my collection.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #68
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
in terms of dressy shoes, i really like the styles from zara. these are my favorite pair at the moment
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #69
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Not true. I wore Cole Haan Nike Air for 6 years and then switched to Johnston and Murphy. The trouble with the Cole Haan Nike Air is that the Heel is great, but the rest of the sole has no cushioning whatsoever. The Johnston and Murphy seems to have a air suspension effect along the whole shoe. Much more comfortable for walking in.
+1 - I also find Johnston & Murphy to be way more comfortable than my Cole-Haans.
      06-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #70
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Supra's are really freakin comfortable!
I have been wearing them exclusively for work/weekend shoes for the past few years now. Probably went through about 10 pairs in the past two years. I'm pretty hard on shoes. I even was sporting the Backwoods for the winter, very comfortable, but did not hold up all that well as boots compared to my Timberlands.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #71
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

nike free run 5.0's
      06-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #72
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
I have been wearing them exclusively for work/weekend shoes for the past few years now. Probably went through about 10 pairs in the past two years. I'm pretty hard on shoes. I even was sporting the Backwoods for the winter, very comfortable, but did not hold up all that well as boots compared to my Timberlands.
I agree the soles wear down like pencil erasers. I have just stuck with Skytop, Sky low and Vaiders. I like skate shoes and go to these or Nike SB's more than my others on the weekends.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #73
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Usually Cole Haan or Josef Seibel for dress casual (work) and between Olukai sandals (my favorite), Josef Seibel sandals, Sperry or John Varvatos for casual.

I usually only wear tennis shoes when working out and I use New Balance, Brooks (2 pair) or Saucony to work out. All of them have Lock Laces cause those things rock my world.

I would have some Ecco as they are awesome, I just liked the Seibel shoes better at the time.

2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded

Last edited by Hawkeye; 06-26-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #74
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

Allen edmonds New Orleans... wearing them now... had them recrafted once already... i'll probably just buy another pair instead of recrafting again though.
      06-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #75
kits135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon

I do Ecco as my daily work. Weekend its New Balance 993 Handmade. Piloti for dricing / racing when needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #76
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

dress shoes: got 2 pairs of hugo boss and 1 birkenstock, all in black leather. they're all over 10 yrs old, don't wear them enough but they're good.

some of you guys are at girl-level collections. i got 7 pairs total (3 dress shoes, 2 asics runners, 2 flip flops)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #77
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

i wear cheap work shoes - i think they're some Nun Bush junk.

but as far as shoes, i wear one of these two pair all the time.

not a big shoe guy, but i've been wearin these pair for about a year now....

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #78
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
+1 - I also find Johnston & Murphy to be way more comfortable than my Cole-Haans.
J&M's rubber soled shoes are very comfortable. However, their quality is very poor which is why I ultimately switched.

Their hybrid leather/rubber soled shoes are pure crap by the way. I own two pairs of their "Gillum" oxfords (black and burgundy). Not only are they uncomfortable, but the leather is extremely cheap and the shoes lost their form after only a few wears (and yes, they had shoe trees in them).

If you are only going to wear them every once in a while for special occasions, then they're a good shoe. However, when you put 50 hour weeks in dress shoes, they'll fall apart in a few months.

J&M is kind of like the Craftman brand of dress shoes. Good all around brand at a good price for the average weekend garage monkey. However, if you need them for your job I wouldn't depend on them to last.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #79
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Grubba Balls
dress shoes: got 2 pairs of hugo boss and 1 birkenstock, all in black leather. they're all over 10 yrs old, don't wear them enough but they're good.

some of you guys are at girl-level collections. i got 7 pairs total (3 dress shoes, 2 asics runners, 2 flip flops)
Because only girls have good taste and look nice? Shoes aren't really that expensive and they last a long time. What is wrong with having 10-15 pair that you rotate between?
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #80
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Because only girls have good taste and look nice? Shoes aren't really that expensive and they last a long time. What is wrong with having 10-15 pair that you rotate between?
I look at it this way: I could care less if another guy doesn't like it. I'm not trying to impress dudes anyways. Hell, even if a girl doesn't like it that's her problem.

I have to do laundry once a month, my shoes always smell brand new, and I never look frumpy. Look good=feel good kind of attitude.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #81
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
My work shoes, which I wear more than any other shoe, are Adam Derrick (To Boot New York) and Johnston & Murphy. The ADs are my brown and the J&M are my black shoes.

The Adam Derricks:

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #82
DemolitionJim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 MW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmahany View Post
I look at it this way: I could care less if another guy doesn't like it. I'm not trying to impress dudes anyways. Hell, even if a girl doesn't like it that's her problem.

I have to do laundry once a month, my shoes always smell brand new, and I never look frumpy. Look good=feel good kind of attitude.
couldn't agree more.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #83
arctic330i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i E90  [8.08]
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Usually cole haan wingtips or oxfords. Then I always have a few Air Grant penny loafers around for casual wear.
      06-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #84
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
J&M's rubber soled shoes are very comfortable. However, their quality is very poor which is why I ultimately switched.

Their hybrid leather/rubber soled shoes are pure crap by the way. I own two pairs of their "Gillum" oxfords (black and burgundy). Not only are they uncomfortable, but the leather is extremely cheap and the shoes lost their form after only a few wears (and yes, they had shoe trees in them).

If you are only going to wear them every once in a while for special occasions, then they're a good shoe. However, when you put 50 hour weeks in dress shoes, they'll fall apart in a few months.

J&M is kind of like the Craftman brand of dress shoes. Good all around brand at a good price for the average weekend garage monkey. However, if you need them for your job I wouldn't depend on them to last.
I will remember this advice for the next pair of J&M's I buy. Thank you! Since I've only bought their "1850" and "Handmade in Italy" collections I've no experience with their rubber soled ones but I am glad you said something. I have so many shoes that each pair only sees my office maybe 2x a month, so they end up lasting a long time. The C-H's and J&M's are kind of kicking around/daily work shoes for me anyway, so "Cratfman" (great analogy) is okay for me. If I need to dress up, I go for much higher end, so the cheaper leather isn't much of an issue, but they always seem to polish up nicely though.
      06-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #85
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I will remember this advice for the next pair of J&M's I buy. Thank you! Since I've only bought their "1850" and "Handmade in Italy" collections I've no experience with their rubber soled ones but I am glad you said something. I have so many shoes that each pair only sees my office maybe 2x a month, so they end up lasting a long time. The C-H's and J&M's are kind of kicking around/daily work shoes for me anyway, so "Cratfman" (great analogy) is okay for me. If I need to dress up, I go for much higher end, so the cheaper leather isn't much of an issue, but they always seem to polish up nicely though.
J&M seems to be doing a good job of improving their quality and selling higher end shoes. The only problem is that those lines compete with Allen Edmonds. I have a hard time trying to go back to them.

And I'm the same way. I own 20-25 pairs of dress shoes and probably 60-70 pairs of shoes in total so I'm set for a long time, lol.

I'm not afraid to admit this, but my father wears the same shoe size as me and is also a shoe junkie (with good taste fortunately). He's an avid runner and buys a new pair every couple weeks so I "borrow" some of his stuff. In a sense, I have close to 150 pairs of shoes at my luxury. I usually just buy him a new pair every now and then to make up the difference.

That's one of the joys of living 20 miles away from my family.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 01:11 AM   #86
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
My work shoes, which I wear more than any other shoe, are Adam Derrick (To Boot New York) and Johnston & Murphy. The ADs are my brown and the J&M are my black shoes.

The Adam Derricks:

I had these and loved them. Wore them so much the leather sole cracked, I figured defect but couldn't find another pair so I went with some magnanni double monk straps instead.. To Boot NY is still one of my favorite brands, great price, great style what more can you ask for?

I don't own too many pairs of cole haans, most of them are made in China and use very cheap material that doesn't last..

On the daily, I wear Sperry's and Chuck Purcell's. I hope nobody in here wears their running shoes on the daily with their jeans...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #87
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
To Boot NY is still one of my favorite brands, great price, great style what more can you ask for?
Great quality would be the last thing I'd ask for.

I owned a pair of of To Boot NY. Bought at Nordstrom (not the Rack) so they weren't seconds. They were no better than my Johnston and Murphy's. I ended up giving them to my dad who also doesn't wear them.

The offer modern styling which is nice, but they're very average quality for the price. They're $150 (full price) shoes as far as I'm concerned. Nothing more.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 02:49 AM   #88
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Great quality would be the last thing I'd ask for.

I owned a pair of of To Boot NY. Bought at Nordstrom (not the Rack) so they weren't seconds. They were no better than my Johnston and Murphy's. I ended up giving them to my dad who also doesn't wear them.

The offer modern styling which is nice, but they're very average quality for the price. They're $150 (full price) shoes as far as I'm concerned. Nothing more.
I agree. Although once you get through the initial break-in period, they are pretty good.

You should check out bruno magli and allen edmonds if you want more quality.
Appreciate 0