E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 19s on e92 xi stock suspension

04-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #45
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee83 View Post
Your car looks great...
I seriously looked at silver because I love how clean they look with just the black and silver color scheme.
Who did your rear bumper here in Pittsburgh?
I've had a heck of a time finding someone who honestly knows what their doing with aftermarket BMW modding.
My E46 got just mangled here by two different body shops.

It makes me laugh how guys from states that really don't have a winter are so quick to hit you with..."You need to drop it man..." - your car looks great.
This isn't California, Florida...or even Illinois. There are no flat straight roads here...period.
The shots outside of PNC were a great idea.
I ordered the bumper with the "Aero Kit" option from the factory.

You're in the South Hills correct? Rahal has had a few parts painted/repainted for my car at Kilkeary's Auto Body, They do nice work!

Kilkeary's Auto Body
(724) 941-4940
647 Thomas Rd
Eighty Four, PA 15330
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #46
RickG
Youngster
Canada
Rep
Drives: f25 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
you are going to messed up your car aligement.

? true or false?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #47
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
? true or false?
false. No alignment needed just changing the wheels- even if larger.
      04-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #48
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSailor View Post
false. No alignment needed just changing the wheels- even if larger.
When you start messing with the suspension height then you will need an alignment. Changing wheels won't throw the alignment off.
      04-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #49
RickG
Youngster
Canada
Rep
Drives: f25 diesel

so there are relatively no cons in putting 19s on a stock xi except gap?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #50
JLee83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Barbera red 2008 335xi coupe

Money is a huge issue...or more specifically - wasting a bunch of it.
The roads are just an extra concern - you're right, normal cars get racked by big pot holes all the time, but if a lowered car were to hit that same pot hole you'd lose body work too instead of just a rim; not to mention the sport suspension you just put a couple grand into first buying it and having it shipped to you, then getting it installed, etc etc etc.
Pot holes are only part of the problem here; there are giant curbs in just about every parking lot around here too so that all the rain run off doesn't turn into ponds and streams. Those are tough to drive over too. I had a Corvette at one point so I know all about being careful when I drive.
The bottom line is I just don't see it being worth the overall cost unless you truly plan on racing your car. My local road conditions just make it that much more difficult for me to rationalize that kind of financial commitment to a car that's losing value by the day.
I see guys getting hammered about dropping their cars on these web sites all the time when it's really just a matter of personal preference.
If you want to do it and you can afford it - more power to you.
This is just my opinion though.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #51
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
there are giant curbs in just about every parking lot around here too so that all the rain run off doesn't turn into ponds and streams. Those are tough to drive over too.
You drive over curbs? LOL no wonder you don't want to drop your car.
      04-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #52
JLee83
Private First Class
Rep

Do I really need to explain what I meant by that to you?

Do you really watch the Simpsons?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #53
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xdrive & 2015 F15

This is mostly true IMO.
However, I'm about to lower mine and put on 19s, but the debate over 18" or 19" was tough. I'd rather go 19s first and hate it then go 18s be satisfied but be left wondering what 19s would have felt like.

As for lowering, I'm going down to non-xi suspension height so it's clean without the curb scrapes or winter adjustment needed.

The incremental cost for 19" rims and tires (which I have to buy regardless of size) is worth it.
I didn't buy a $50K+ car to be too concerned about saving $500 over their ~3 year lifespan.

Quote:
Money is a huge issue...or more specifically - wasting a bunch of it.
The roads are just an extra concern - you're right, normal cars get racked by big pot holes all the time, but if a lowered car were to hit that same pot hole you'd lose body work too instead of just a rim; not to mention the sport suspension you just put a couple grand into first buying it and having it shipped to you, then getting it installed, etc etc etc.
Pot holes are only part of the problem here; there are giant curbs in just about every parking lot around here too so that all the rain run off doesn't turn into ponds and streams. Those are tough to drive over too. I had a Corvette at one point so I know all about being careful when I drive.
The bottom line is I just don't see it being worth the overall cost unless you truly plan on racing your car. My local road conditions just make it that much more difficult for me to rationalize that kind of financial commitment to a car that's losing value by the day.
I see guys getting hammered about dropping their cars on these web sites all the time when it's really just a matter of personal preference.
If you want to do it and you can afford it - more power to you.
This is just my opinion though.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #54
JLee83
Private First Class
Rep

Hey Humtek...

I'm sorry about snapping at you - that was stupid.
I'm in the middle of something else right now and I shouldn't have posted that.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #55
JLee83
Private First Class
Rep

Fozzy...
You'll love the 19's - just don't let your signifigant other drive your car.
My wife continually griped about how much more harsh the ride was - then promptly rubbed my new rims on a Jersey barrier on her way home from work one day.
I had a set of staggered 19" VMR V715's on a black e46 coupe.
The wheels were fantastic, but the ride was a little rough.
I didn't mind it because I loved the rims, but some people do complain.
The Toronto highways are awesome - wide open and flat.
You'll love them...plus I'm sure they will look awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #56
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Humtek...

I'm sorry about snapping at you - that was stupid.
I'm in the middle of something else right now and I shouldn't have posted that.
shame on you.

Quote:
The bottom line is I just don't see it being worth the overall cost unless you truly plan on racing your car.
I actually don't agree with this, even though it is your opinion. Most people who want a lowered ride, don't track their cars, though there are some that do. In this case most of them just purchase springs and live with the ride of their stock suspension. I looked into this myself, but owning a $50k car with a horrible ride wasn't in the cards for me, I also plan on keeping this car well after my warranty is gone too. Spending 2k on KWv3's is a waste of money in some peoples minds, even in mind it was sort of a waste (wish I could go back and just get the KWv1's, but they weren't available at the moment). In the end I accomplished my goal though. The look of 19's and bigger rubber on this car look great! The gap I couldn't live with though, especially after spending the money in new wheels and rubber. I mean who wants to buy new rims and tires that make the car look more awkward then with the OEM wheels? At the time it was either springs or KWv3 for the XI.

Also, the stock XI suspension still rubs on those parking curbs/barriers, so even with that extra 1" you still will scrape on those. I don't think I've ever had a car that wouldn't scrape on those stupid things.
      04-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #57
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
shame on you.

I actually don't agree with this, even though it is your opinion. Most people who want a lowered ride, don't track their cars, though there are some that do. In this case most of them just purchase springs and live with the ride of their stock suspension. I looked into this myself, but owning a $50k car with a horrible ride wasn't in the cards for me, I also plan on keeping this car well after my warranty is gone too. Spending 2k on KWv3's is a waste of money in some peoples minds, even in mind it was sort of a waste (wish I could go back and just get the KWv1's, but they weren't available at the moment). In the end I accomplished my goal though. The look of 19's and bigger rubber on this car look great! The gap I couldn't live with though, especially after spending the money in new wheels and rubber. I mean who wants to buy new rims and tires that make the car look more awkward then with the OEM wheels? At the time it was either springs or KWv3 for the XI.

Also, the stock XI suspension still rubs on those parking curbs/barriers, so even with that extra 1" you still will scrape on those. I don't think I've ever had a car that wouldn't scrape on those stupid things.
+1
I went with H&R coilovers and love my ride since. I don't track and it's my DD. It feels and looks so much better than my stock XI suspension. If you plan to keep your car then do it but if you're leasing I might not but then again you can also part out.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #58
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL View Post
+1
I went with H&R coilovers and love my ride since. I don't track and it's my DD. It feels and looks so much better than my stock XI suspension. If you plan to keep your car then do it but if you're leasing I might not but then again you can also part out.
The stock XI suspension is such a harsh & horrible ride I can't believe BMW put this on a 335 variant. Coilovers are the way to go to get the car riding like a BMW again.
      04-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #59
ChrisJadesFireF82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F82 M4

so what is the general consensus on lowering?...i have a 328xi e92 with a few years left on my warrenty but want to upgrade to 19"s...possibly m6 type or something different...i dont want a 4x4 stance if thats going to happen...so whats the best way to lower the car to standard i height(or even less just to get rid of the 4x4 look) for the minimal cost without worsing the ride(is possible making it drive better) i been reading to many dif opionions on the topic i dont wanna spend 2k lowering my car an inch or less honestly dont think its worth it especially if it makes my ride worse then it already is(potholes are killing my life)
Appreciate 0