E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 19s on e92 xi stock suspension

07-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #23
vtx DANNY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

all you guys with the 19" staggered, what are your offsets and tire size?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #24
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtx DANNY View Post
all you guys with the 19" staggered, what are your offsets and tire size?
Mine: OEM Style 163 (aka ZCP)

Front: 19X8 ET47 with 15mm spacer (effective ET32), 235/35R19 Michelin PS2

Rear: 19X9.5 ET27, 265/30R19 Michelin PS2
      07-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #25
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klo View Post
How many people are riding 19's on their XI's, with stock suspension? Does it make your ride look even higher than on the stock 18s?

If anybody could post pics, that'd be great (I saw pics of an aw in another thread, but couldnt find any more)
you are going to messed up your car aligement.
      07-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #26
timic101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Silver

Quote:
that looks great... for some reason the gaps dont look as noticeable on your car for some reason..
I had the same concern you did when I ordered my wheels. When I inquired at my dealer about the options they might have to lower it as well, they cautioned me that it could void my warranty. Granted lowering it could make it look cooler, personally I didn't think it was worth the extra dough. I've had lots of compliments on these and I think it looks sick!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #27
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Thinking about doing this to my car never thought that I would have more space, as I'm worried about rubbing.

Last edited by AllydNYC; 07-14-2008 at 03:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 04:27 AM   #28
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Quote:
that looks great... for some reason the gaps dont look as noticeable on your car for some reason..
I think it is just the sedans. I've noticed in pics the XI e90s don't have as big of a gap compared to the e92 XI.

timic,

Your picture of your car gives me great confidence in my choice of color (car/wheel) and not having to lower it. I'd rather spend the 2k on intercooler, oil cooler, and possibly some downpipes.

EDIT: I'm looking at 235/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rear though.
      07-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #29
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

the XI should not have wheels w/o a lower. looks bad IMO. the stock 18's look much better then any aftermarket wheel with the car not lowered.
this is why i am really pissed that my iforges have been sitting in my garage since april just begging to be put on.. i want my v3s!!

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 12:03 PM   #30
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

I think they all look good personally. Remember why you got a XI SNOW lol!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #31
dchen2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, XF Super V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini330zhp View Post
I think they all look good personally. Remember why you got a XI SNOW lol!!!!
True that... if you got a XI, BMW raised the suspension 1" higher than stock for a reason, snow clearance!

Last winter during our 50yr record high snowfall here in Southern WI I noticed tons of Audi's factory lowered with the Audi sports pack suspension stuck in streets the plows haven't gotten to yet despite Audi's quadro (some of which looked to have just all seasons but some also had winter tires on). If your chassis is bottomed out on the snow it doesn't matter if you got awd or snow tires... you aren't going anywhere! (as my friend with a big old lifted 4x4 F150 found out when he accidentally backed over a 2ft snow drift)

I find the XI suspension to be inbetween the regular and zsp suspensions in terms of tautness and with non-runflat csl reps I am really digging my ride quality driving around my potholed/heaved up streets and thats me coming from a Lexus GS and its handling is still very satisfactory for low traffic spirited driving.

Once I move to warmer climates (if ever with how well my job is going ), I'll go whole hog with a 335i with 19s, mtech kit (which also reduces snow clearance), and possibly coilovers... maybe even a M3!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 08:44 AM   #32
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Just switch to your stock 17s/18s for winter and you will be fine. And no, putting 19s will not mess up your wheel alignment.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #33
djkrajzi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328xi Alpine White

There is no question about it. If you are looking for an awesome lokoing car which you are since you are buying wheels, then a drop is a must. To get the best look coilovers are the way to go.
Im currently saving up for some KW v1 for my xi.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #34
SeanCarter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

F: 19x8.5 et35 235/35
R: 19x9.5 et35 265/30

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #35
JLee83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Barbera red 2008 335xi coupe

I understand the push by some guys to lower their car. Most of the cars that you see here that have been dropped a little do look great.

(There are some cars that look completely ridiculous though - like when all you can see is a rim and no tire under the rear fender - c'mon really??)

IMHO, I feel like getting your car dropped might be a touch overated.
Especially if you live in a place that makes it really difficult to do without possibly damaging your car.

It also seems like getting a drop is really expensive for what you get considering that I'm not ever going to race my car.
It's a really expensive mod for such a slight variation in appearance.
I understand the technical advantage it gives you, but like I said - I have no plans to ever race it.

The roads where I live are pretty unforgiving, no matter what the season is. In the summer you get the washboard effect in front of stop lights and stop signs that can be a few inches deep - they can rip side skirts completely off if you're not careful. In the winter we get the gigantic wheel eating pot-holes that severely damage cars with no drop; so you could imagine what might happen to a car that is dropped if you ran over something like that.

I'm not criticizing, if you feel strongly about it and you have the cash - more power to you.
Some of these cars do truly look amazing, I just don't think it's for me.
Even without a drop, I still plan to buy some 19" VMR's in the next few months for my 335xi and I'm confident that it will look fine on the stock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #36
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee83 View Post
I understand the push by some guys to lower their car. Most of the cars that you see here that have been dropped a little do look great.

(There are some cars that look completely ridiculous though - like when all you can see is a rim and no tire under the rear fender - c'mon really??)

Especially if you live in a place that makes it really difficult to do without possibly damaging your car.

It also seems like getting a drop is really expensive for what you get considering that I'm not ever going to race my car.
I understand the technical advantage it gives you, but like I said - I have no plans to ever race it.

The roads where I live are pretty unforgiving, no matter what the season is. In the summer you get the washboard effect in front of stop lights and stop signs that can be a few inches deep - they can rip side skirts completely off if you're not careful. In the winter we get the gigantic wheel eating pot-holes that severely damage cars with no drop; so you could imagine what might happen to a car that is dropped if you ran over something like that.

I'm not criticizing, if you feel strongly about it and you have the cash - more power to you.
Even without a drop, I still plan to buy some 19" VMR's in the next few months for my 335xi and I'm confident that it will look fine on the stock suspension.

I agree with you, I am content with how my car looks with the stock suspension. I'll probably upgrade to some coilovers in another 10-15k miles when my stocks are shot...

here's a picture of my "raised xi"

And here are some real shots...http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402650
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #37
Atsnow
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, 2010 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee83 View Post

I have 2 335XI 1 coupe and 1 sedan and I do on average 25K miles a year on some of the worst city roads (ask any Montrealer) and I can tell you the best thing I did for the ride was change the springs to Eibach and get rid of the runflats on the coupe,

The other good move is getting rid of the 19s and going back to 18 inch wheels
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #38
Atsnow
Captain
Rep

Here are some pictures of my car

19" VMR715 stock suspension

19" Miro 942 stock suspension

19" Miro 942 lowered suspension

Last edited by Atsnow; 04-11-2011 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #39
Malapropism
Book Worm
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

^ jackb, what were your tire specs for the 19" Miro 942?

and

twinturboxi, what are your tire specs for the picture u posted here?

I'm just thinking about tire setup for my '11 335xi coupe that's on order

Thanks

Last edited by Malapropism; 04-12-2011 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #40
Atsnow
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malapropism View Post
^ jackb, what were your tire specs for the 19" Miro 942?

and

twinturboxi, what are your tire specs for the picture u posted here?

I'm just thinking about tire setup for my '11 335xi coupe that's on order

Thanks
Front 19 X 8.5 ET35 235/35/19
Rear 19 X 9.5 ET33 265/30/19

My car is a 2008
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #41
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Since the last time I posted in this thread 3 years ago, I have since put the KW v3's on my XI for many reasons.

1. The look of aftermarket wheels looks horrible in person with no drop. If you don't want to drop you vehicle, stick to your OEM wheels and try to close the gap with some bigger tires.

2. The XI suspension sucks. Its harsh, it bottoms out easily and you feel like your floating. It is NOT the same as the stock 335i suspension nor is it the same as the 335i Sport suspension. Not something I want to be driving with in ANY condition. I know that the XI is made for snow, and they gave us an extra 1" of clearance. But with either the KW v1's or v3's you can raise the height when winter comes. Get that clearance back. Not to mention with the KW v3's you can adjust the suspension to YOUR liking. Want it more sporty you can have that, you want a more luxury feeling, you can create that too. The adjustments are endless. So with that, are the KW v3's for everyone? No, but at the time I had no other choice, and I honestly don't track my car one bit, but I have the option if I wanted to go for a track day. Besides raising the height during winter months the rest of the adjustments have stayed the same since I first got her setup. If I could go back I would of saved $1,000 and gone with the KW v1's instead.

3. The car handles now like its on rails. Only thing missing is a sway bar and from the looks of it, we only need to replace the rear as the front sway bar does a good job.

I'm not for the lower as low you can go look, though I did try it when we were first getting her setup. I wanted very LITTLE gap, but still being able to see the entire tire and have enough give if I have my e90 packed of people as well as a packed trunk. (Road Trips!)

EDIT: I went with 275/30/19 & 235/35/19. The rolling diameter of these sizes in the Falken FK452 are almost identical. A lot closer than the 265's and even a lot closer than the stock sport setup. The only way to get closer is run 4 exact tire sizes at every corner, which I do want to try some day. One of the big reasons the 265's were pushed so much is that some people were having issues fitting a 275 on their e92's (The more popular model). The e90 will fit 275's without a problem, but the e92's were needing to roll their fenders.

Last edited by NM_BMW; 04-12-2011 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #42
JLee83
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboXI View Post
I agree with you, I am content with how my car looks with the stock suspension. I'll probably upgrade to some coilovers in another 10-15k miles when my stocks are shot...

here's a picture of my "raised xi"

And here are some real shots...http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402650
Your car looks great...
I seriously looked at silver because I love how clean they look with just the black and silver color scheme.
Who did your rear bumper here in Pittsburgh?
I've had a heck of a time finding someone who honestly knows what their doing with aftermarket BMW modding.
My E46 got just mangled here by two different body shops.

It makes me laugh how guys from states that really don't have a winter are so quick to hit you with..."You need to drop it man..." - your car looks great.
This isn't California, Florida...or even Illinois. There are no flat straight roads here...period.
The shots outside of PNC were a great idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #43
JLee83
Private First Class
Rep

Love the V715's...especially on the coupe.
I've found that 19" wheels will fill up the wheel wells nicely.
It's not quite a drop, but it still looks really good.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #44
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
Since the last time I posted in this thread 3 years ago, I have since put the KW v3's on my XI for many reasons.

1. The look of aftermarket wheels looks horrible in person with no drop. If you don't want to drop you vehicle, stick to your OEM wheels and try to close the gap with some bigger tires.

dont complain about potholes or flat roads. if the pot hole is that big drop or no drop your car is still getting broke. If you hit a pot hole now the wheels getting bent and your tire will need replacing so either way your in trouble. just gotta learn how to navigate the roads in our states to best you can.
a drop makes all the difference.
if its money issue thats another thing.

my winter ride

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0