BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

03-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #1
NavyBeeker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 SS/SS - 19SepED

Restraint malfunction error after replacing window regulator

So my 2008 550i had the left rear passenger window actuator fail. Was a busted regulator. Got great info from the forums as a DIY project - bought a good new replacement regulator on Amazon and changed it "almost" by myself (with $100 help from a local shop).

One option I have are the side airbags for rear seats... located in the door panels of course. Disconnecting these is part of the process to remove the bad regulator & install the new one. Reconnected the airbag prior to sealing up the door panel again, but now have the subject error showing constantly whenever the car is turned on.

Is there ANY way to reset this on my own without going to a BMW shop and paying $$ Hundred(s)? The local shop guy told me to try raising and lowering that left passenger window several times, holding the switch for 15-20 seconds or more each time.... this hasn't seemed to fix the malfunction. Window works great now, but..... a pain to see the error all the time.

Have 94K miles & selling the car later this year most likely.... has been a great vehicle otherwise....
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
FastXTC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Any BMW scan tool or laptop running INPA software can clear airbag error caused by disconnecting an airbag module while the car battery is connected. An independent BMW shop should be able to clear the error for around $25. Should be able to just connect a tool to the OBD-II port and clear the error. Try paying cash if they are concerned about liability.
Appreciate 0