BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Why the SEARCH key is so valuable

Ive been reprimanded as of late for telling people to .

Apparently people are bitter or offended that they are told to look for something in such a fashion instead of "given" the information requested.

First off, telling someone really quickly that they should learn to search for something gets it engrained in their mind to do that before they post next time. This is beneficial to all of us because thats one less person about to post on something that we might have seen 12 times in one day already.

Secondly, if you give someone the answer they were looking for when it was covered probably in a thread 3 lines down or OMG, maybe yesterday, you are just enabling them. This way, they will assume that they DONT need to search when they can just waste space and post the question again.

Im sure there are many scenarios but please take the time that EVERYONE needs to be told to at one point. Its an important forum lesson that you tend to behold whenever you join another forum.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
This has been posted before so REPOST.

haha. But it is true members have stated this before.

I feel members should search but truthfully the searching on here sucks. They could use a different searching ability but the admins very rarely update things it seems.
      08-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Jumping in the thread before someone tells you to because this has been posted before.

EDIT - DAMMIT!

To add some actual content: it's absolutely not inappropriate to tell people to search. It helps them and it helps those of us who check the forums out each day and don't want to read the same questions/topics over and over. Plus, if we're a dick about it, it has a preventative impact -- others will search before asking their questions, too.
      08-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I agree Alex, but I think it's a sign of our lazy culture. It's just as amazing how many noob questions are clearly answered in the owner's manual. You're fighting the good fight.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
This has been posted before so REPOST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Jumping in the thread before someone tells you to because this has been posted before.
I know, I posted one a while ago. I figured 1) It never hurts to rehash an important subject, and 2) I would have been ambushed by telling people to search for a search post LOL
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
TahoeOG
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Hey i'm with you on that man... We were all noobie's at one point, and all asked simple common questions, but to tell you the truth, the main thing that HELPED ME was members telling me to use the search function. That was when i was in e46fanatics. By the time i got to the forum, i actually spend 85% of my time using the search button. I do not have a problem with the search function on this forum. I don't know really what members look for when they say "searching sucks". I find it simple. You need to find something about say... Headlights, type it in search and you will get pages full on info on that. Simple. You can narrow your search by categories, photo section, general, etc...

I don't try to be a dick when i tell people to search. All the info is here on the message board, you could try looking it up. If someone gives you the answer, that's all you will get. If you "search" you will come accross answers that you would most likely have asked next once your first questions has been answered. By searching you come accross so much more in detail questions, because people DO answer them.

When members ask questions that have been killed to death, and i do tell them to search, i'm in no way trying to me an ass... instead redirecting them to the right place. It will help them out more.

That's my take on things.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
^ make your own thread for that lol
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

Is this the post you were talking about?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76607

You were being an ass about it man. Do you honestly wait all day to ensure there are no reposts or that people search when appropriate?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
Do you honestly wait all day to ensure there are no reposts or that people search when appropriate?
No, Im not the repost patrol. There are others who are MUCH better at that than myself. Im actually busy posting informative stuff in other threads. I honestly dont open threads that have redundant titles. My point on that was I was hoping for new information but it was just the same subject. Hence my reaction.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I agree Alex, but I think it's a sign of our lazy culture. It's just as amazing how many noob questions are clearly answered in the owner's manual. You're fighting the good fight.
+1

I understand asking the questions again sometimes though, so often the search function turns up 800 threads of guesswork and assumptions... Far to often anwers are given by those who don't know for sure and are just guessing without saying clearly "I think", or Hell "Just a Guess".

Look at the tire forum and what happens with a clear request for input on running a 275 rear tire on a 35 offset wheel.... You get plenty of posts but almost no hard and true YES or NO responses...

I've seen That Canadian Lion dude answer lately with a "USE THE SEARCH" but also a simple to the point answer if he has one. That's the way to do it.

Don't be a cock, no need to get all High an Mighty, remember we were all newbs to the web forum thing at one point or another, asking dumb ass questions. It helps if folks are cool... :rocks:
Attached Images

08-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
dpeterson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Montego Blue

i cant count how many times i've searched for something... say performance delivery, and 9 million threads come back all with nothing pertaining to what i was looking for...

commenting on a question by just posting "please search" is worthless.. the whole point of a board is to help people, spread knowledge, not belittle them.

dave
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #13
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

as a noob who read the "please read" thread from the admins, I think it's reasonable to knock people who don't search. If they are dicks about it when people call them out then they deserve to get pounded for that too.

you're right that giving them the answer just enables them but what if people told them something like, try searching with XXXX terms, instead of giving the answer? That way they are told to search and given help but not given the answer so they have to find it. That sounds reasonable to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #14
Coder335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 - MB 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Ive been reprimanded as of late for telling people to .

Apparently people are bitter or offended that they are told to look for something in such a fashion instead of "given" the information requested.

First off, telling someone really quickly that they should learn to search for something gets it engrained in their mind to do that before they post next time. This is beneficial to all of us because thats one less person about to post on something that we might have seen 12 times in one day already.

Secondly, if you give someone the answer they were looking for when it was covered probably in a thread 3 lines down or OMG, maybe yesterday, you are just enabling them. This way, they will assume that they DONT need to search when they can just waste space and post the question again.

Im sure there are many scenarios but please take the time that EVERYONE needs to be told to at one point. Its an important forum lesson that you tend to behold whenever you join another forum.
+1
I am fairly new to this forum but come on already... Anyone who knows how to use a computer or has ever been to ANY website worth their salt knows there is ALWAYS a search function.

ahhh yes... another part of our master plan to just "dumb it down" to the lowest common denominator..

My 2 cents.. SEARCH then READ then LEARN then finally.. ask a halfway intelligent question if you still don't understand that people are only too happy to help with. If i have asked any reposts or stupid questions, then im the dumb one... no excuses or sugar coating required..

cheers
      08-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Also, if we want to get REALLY serious about this "SEARCH" thing, then we prolly have about 2-300 useful threads out there, all the rest are reposts of one kind or another...

Then again, if you are an FNG and you show up asking a really obvious question, are told to search, then you become a Dick? You deserve the flaming you are about to receive...
      08-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #16
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeterson View Post
i cant count how many times i've searched for something... say performance delivery, and 9 million threads come back all with nothing pertaining to what i was looking for...

commenting on a question by just posting "please search" is worthless.. the whole point of a board is to help people, spread knowledge, not belittle them.

dave
      08-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #17
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Then again, if you are an FNG
Whats an FNG?
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #18
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep

Quote:
No, Im not the repost patrol. There are others who are MUCH better at that than myself. Im actually busy posting informative stuff in other threads. I honestly dont open threads that have redundant titles. My point on that was I was hoping for new information but it was just the same subject. Hence my reaction.
As was I hoping that it was new info too but I wasn't surprised when it wasn't. I got used to seeing all that reposted nonsense and being disappointed time after time. It takes me less time to close the thread and not go back then it does to post "repost" or "search". Keeps my BP low too. Apathy is your friend...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #19
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
Apathy is your friend...
Apathy, empathy, sympathy....any of those thy's. My doctor says I have an inability to feel any of them. Go figure.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #20
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep

LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #21
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Whats an FNG?
f'ing new guy
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #22
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
f'ing new guy
I just cant keep up with all these acronyms. Hell, I just learned the difference between an SA and CA the other day. How? I searched...amazing.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0