BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Malaka1
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6MT Black

Please read "safe" drivers.

Recently I created a thread and it just went entirely off topic due to a few people coming in and saying that driving fast on public roads is no good and that just led to a big argument. Since then I have seen two other threads be closed as well because of these same people and a few others chiming in with the same comments. Just a question to all these people that come in and make these "how old are you?", "you are ignorant for driving that fast", etc. comments why else do you make this posts unless you are just trying to start arguments with the OP or other semi-aggressive drivers? Realize that all your efforts/comments are entirely useless, because who is going to go out the next day and say hey that guy on e90post was right I am not going to speed anymore.. So the point I am trying to make here is just don't comment in these types of threads anymore unless you have some time of related feedback to the question or statement. And I can already see this thread closing because the "e90post police" will be forced to come in here and start commenting.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
DJKhan85
Major
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI

I have seen the trend lately with this as well. Glad that people are promoting safer driving practices but some of the guys do take it a bit too extreme with the safe driving(derailing threads especially the one about trying to make the car safer at greater speeds). I'm the slowest drive of everyone I know(going speed limit in the right hand lane to save gas) and I have STILL hit 100 on an empty highway. Yeah there could have been a car swerve into the lane(if he didn't have lights on and was a black car and was actually on the highway at the time), or a plane COULD have fallen out of the sky killing me in the slow lane.

People take risks, I just hope most people take as much of a calculated risk as possible. I say just answer the question, do a quick blurb about driving safer or taking it to a track and move on.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
Malaka1
General
United_States
Rep

I think as long as you do not respond to these "safe driving" comments and just entirely ignore them than they will disappear because even though they are calling the "crazy drivers" immature they are in fact the immature ones so treat them like that. They are just trying to start an argument and waiting for your reply.. it reminds me of elementary school just don't say anything and it will have more of an affect than if you did.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
MorpheIS
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT, Sport, Prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka1 View Post
I think as long as you do not respond to these "safe driving" comments and just entirely ignore them than they will disappear because even though they are calling the "crazy drivers" immature they are in fact the immature ones so treat them like that. They are just trying to start an argument and waiting for your reply.. it reminds me of elementary school just don't say anything and it will have more of an affect than if you did.
I think you're missing the point. No one is trying to start an argument. You're on an Internet forum. I don't know who you are - nor does anyone else. You could be a 16 year old kid or a dumbass 42 year old living at home, for all we know.

The bottom line is that the impression we get of each other is based on the content of the posts, or threads, that you publish.

There is an obvious reason why many members post topics/threads that generate legitimate conversation and the exchange of ideas, while your threads generate mass affirmation that you're a dumbass.

Think about it. Sometimes, 1+1 does really equally 2.
      07-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
Malaka1
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorpheIS View Post
I think you're missing the point. No one is trying to start an argument. You're on an Internet forum. I don't know who you are - nor does anyone else. You could be a 16 year old kid or a dumbass 42 year old living at home, for all we know.

The bottom line is that the impression we get of each other is based on the content of the posts, or threads, that you publish.

There is an obvious reason why many members post topics/threads that generate legitimate conversation and the exchange of ideas, while your threads generate mass affirmation that you're a dumbass.

But that is the whole point of this thread. These threads about speeding in excess should not generate anything.. If people did not come in and start talking about "safe driving" in a very aggressive manner than all would be well.. And I don't know why you are stating that "my" threads are like this, I had one thread that went offtopic.. My other threads are fine, well given this one. I don't even want to go into the "130+ limiter" thread I started, if you read I wanted to up my limiter for the "track", "track"....!! Not street.

Last edited by Malaka1; 07-12-2009 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorpheIS View Post

+1. END THREAD

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Suncountry
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 76 Vette, 66 MGB

Ok I am going to put in my 2 cents worth. Out of my 25 yrs as a mechanical engineer I spent a year doing accident reconstruction. In that time I saw a lot of death, permanently disabled people and destruction from people speeding and being stupid. A recent example, in January my wife was in our E36 doing 30mph slowing in preparation to go into a left turn lane. Its a 4 lane road, no other cars. This guy doing well over 50 in a 35 zone rears the E36. Crushes the trunk, blows out the back window and then flees. Wife in hot pursuit dragging the bumper, then backs off out of concern she might hit some one in the neighborhood. Police caught the guy later. My wife is still dealing with a pinched nerve in her back 6 months later. E36 is totaled, and now I had to buy a replacement. Calculate risk? for who, you or the guy you hit? Then there is the financial aspect where the law suit could easily exceed you insurance policy. The difference you pay. If you live at home with your parents then they could be on the hook. Not a good situation. I have no problem driving fast on the tack, but not on the street. To many variables. I took a performance driving class and got to spend time on Pacific Raceway. That was money well spend and I didn't have to worry about running in to some one. Try it you might get hooked OK I am new here so let the beating begin.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka1 View Post
Recently I created a thread and it just went entirely off topic due to a few people coming in and saying that driving fast on public roads is no good and that just led to a big argument. Since then I have seen two other threads be closed as well because of these same people and a few others chiming in with the same comments. Just a question to all these people that come in and make these "how old are you?", "you are ignorant for driving that fast", etc. comments why else do you make this posts unless you are just trying to start arguments with the OP or other semi-aggressive drivers? Realize that all your efforts/comments are entirely useless, because who is going to go out the next day and say hey that guy on e90post was right I am not going to speed anymore.. So the point I am trying to make here is just don't comment in these types of threads anymore unless you have some time of related feedback to the question or statement. And I can already see this thread closing because the "e90post police" will be forced to come in here and start commenting.
How old are you?
      07-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncountry View Post
OK I am new here so let the beating begin.
youre probably one of the few 'new' members who hasnt annoyed the shit out of me. great post--if only all new members could be as coherent and sensible as yourself..

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
SouthpawE46
Because race car
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 & 318ti

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281038
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

if it helps, i was "safely" driving on the freeway when a pontiac gto cut in front of my dads mercedes. then continues to swerve around traffic and driving in middle of lanes and turning into the wrong lane at intersections.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

I've always driven fast. My style is to move SMOOTHLY FORWARD through traffic always aware of my surroundings. I use my turn signals and don't cut people off. I always move over to let others merge in. I don't hit anything and my car doesn't have a scratch on it - in other words, it's obvious I don't "contact" other people's cars. You see me, I pass you, I'm gone. I see no problem with that.

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #13
Malaka1
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
How old are you?
I just turned 38 yrs old.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #14
Malaka1
General
United_States
Rep

Everyone gets the idea of street racing and shit stuck in their heads, but that is not the case here. I like racing on the track. But for comparison runs I have gone to a back road behind a bunch of warehouses which is a long straight where there are zero cars or pedestrians. So I feel fine pushing the car back there.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #15
Malaka1
General
United_States
Rep

All I am trying to say in this thread is for people to stop making comments telling people not to speed because you are endangering others or whatever, because whether it was intended or not it always turns into a full fledged argument. And the people who speed or drive crazy, not necessarily speaking about myself here, but others out there will not be phased by what you say.

I mean what if this forum had a "kill stories" section, like many do, you would all have to quit your jobs so that you could have enough time to comment on everyone's thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #16
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep
Drives: 135i

IMO, most people (and, strangely, a good percentage of members here), are too quick to equate speed with recklessness. Speed is only one factor, and by itself does not make one reckless. When I see drivers that I believe are dangerous, it's usually a combination of things (e.g. swerving through traffic, talking on a phone, pets climbing on them, driving a POS car that can't keep a straight line, etc.). I've been comfortable being on the road with cars going 100+, and I've avoided driving near cars going 45.

I drive what the conditions permit, which is sometimes faster than the speed limit (sometimes much faster). But I never talk on the phone when driving, and when I'm going 100+ the radio is off, etc. I know that on any given day I'm safer than a far majority of the drivers out there.

Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Best 1/4 mile: 12.583 @ 117.609 mph
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #17
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #18
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Slow down, you are posting too fast. You are posting way too many times in your own thread.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0