BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-25-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend A Broken Heart

If you are wanting to watch a very entertaining Documentary and are fans of this legendary group of Brothers, I highly recommend this on HBOmax.
They actually transcend DISCO (which I still love).

MKSixer34184.50
      12-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I had a very modest record player while stationed in Germany, 1968. I had a Bee Gees album that I played regularly on our rare time off (usually Sundays) and it certainly helped keep our moral up.

Sadly, I could not take the record player with me to Vietnam. I left the record player and Bee Gees album in Germany, with my old buddies.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 08:59 PM   #3
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Much to the surprise of all who know me, I absolutely love the Bee Gees. Another of the great Ozzie exports as well!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 10:23 PM   #4
Bingham
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C LBB AA midpipe

+1...great watch. Cements the their legacy and contribution to the music industry. Masters of re-invention. The songs they wrote and produced for other artist after their run is pretty dam impressive.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13851.00
      12-25-2020, 10:55 PM   #5
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I always liked them, even through the Disco Sucks era. I got to see them in 1979 at MSG. Unfortunately I wore the concert shirt to school the next day and almost got the shit kicked out of me. I bet those same douchebags like the Bee Gees now.

I also got to meet Andy Gibb once. His boat, the Shadow Dancer, was docked next to our boat in the Keys.
      12-26-2020, 12:46 AM   #6
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I always liked them, even through the Disco Sucks era. I got to see them in 1979 at MSG. Unfortunately I wore the concert shirt to school the next day and almost got the shit kicked out of me. I bet those same douchebags like the Bee Gees now.

I also got to meet Andy Gibb once. His boat, the Shadow Dancer, was docked next to our boat in the Keys.
I talked with my dad years ago, who was a DJ and co-owner of a night club in the 70s through early 80s about the Disco era. He explained how there was this unbridled hatetred by a certain demographic of angry, simplistic, frustrated, racist, assholes. I have since talked with several people (white and black) my parents ages who echo the same. I was born in 70 and have fond memories of Disco and the incredible rhythms, vocals, energy and of course dancing. I believe today's House Music is the equivalent of Disco. It's no wonder I love it too.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34184.50
DocL1930.00
      12-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #7
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Definitely on my list to watch. Enjoy their music so much.
Appreciate 1
DocL1930.00
      12-27-2020, 07:15 AM   #8
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I talked with my dad years ago, who was a DJ and co-owner of a night club in the 70s through early 80s about the Disco era. He explained how there was this unbridled hatetred by a certain demographic of angry, simplistic, frustrated, racist, assholes. I have since talked with several people (white and black) my parents ages who echo the same. I was born in 70 and have fond memories of Disco and the incredible rhythms, vocals, energy and of course dancing. I believe today's House Music is the equivalent of Disco. It's no wonder I love it too.
So having lived through the "Disco Sucks" era I think it wasn't about race or small mindedness for the most part. My circle of friends were rock and roll fans, Led Zeppelin, The Stones, the Who, etc. I certainly wouldn't describe any of us as "unbridled hatetred by a certain demographic of angry, simplistic, frustrated, racist, assholes." there was a almost cultural difference between Disco and Rock and Roll, different clothes styles, hair cuts etc. It certainly wasn't racist since folks off all race liked both rock and roll and disco. I liked Disco but kept that view to myself for the most part. Jump ahead 40 years (fuck when did I get old) and there isn't the great divide, although go to a Stones concert and you can still see the dyed in the wool rock and roll fashion, and hangers on.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #9
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So having lived through the "Disco Sucks" era I think it wasn't about race or small mindedness for the most part. My circle of friends were rock and roll fans, Led Zeppelin, The Stones, the Who, etc. I certainly wouldn't describe any of us as "unbridled hatetred by a certain demographic of angry, simplistic, frustrated, racist, assholes." there was a almost cultural difference between Disco and Rock and Roll, different clothes styles, hair cuts etc. It certainly wasn't racist since folks off all race liked both rock and roll and disco. I liked Disco but kept that view to myself for the most part. Jump ahead 40 years (fuck when did I get old) and there isn't the great divide, although go to a Stones concert and you can still see the dyed in the wool rock and roll fashion, and hangers on.
We'll agree to disagree. No need to throw out examples and details. But the demographic of the movement of the Disco Sucks era was clearly defined.

Regardless... The music was fantastic, uplifting, rhythmic, and unforgettable. And this Band is in a word... Legendary. The Bee Gees transcended Disco and were also amazing writers for many artists. This Documentary is worth the watch of anyone who appreciates Music.
Appreciate 1
DocL1930.00
      12-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #10
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
We'll agree to disagree. No need to throw out examples and details. But the demographic of the movement of the Disco Sucks era was clearly defined.

Regardless... The music was fantastic, uplifting, rhythmic, and unforgettable. And this Band is in a word... Legendary. The Bee Gees transcended Disco and were also amazing writers for many artists. This Documentary is worth the watch of anyone who appreciates Music.
We can agree to disagree sure. I grew up in Toronto, which is the most culturally diverse city on the plant. I was a minority being a WASP in a mostly Italian, Portuguese and Jamaican community. Rock and Roll & Disco had fans of all colours, it was more about what music you liked and the lifestyle that seemed to go with Disco vs Rock. I like to approach the things without big bold "racist/asshole" comments about any one group, after all isn't making gross generalizations about any one group just about the same?

Merry Christmas.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 11:59 AM   #11
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I liked the Beegees a lot... but better question; what would be considered timeless music today that is well known? I can't think of anything that plays on the radio today that we would remotely listen to in 2040... now that is a sad sign of the times. No one plays good rock and roll anymore... hell who listens to modern rock and roll? All that is left is garbage repeated pop, rap and electronic... the modern simple world wants that and it is what it is.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      12-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #12
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I liked the Beegees a lot... but better question; what would be considered timeless music today that is well known? I can't think of anything that plays on the radio today that we would remotely listen to in 2040... now that is a sad sign of the times. No one plays good rock and roll anymore... hell who listens to modern rock and roll? All that is left is garbage repeated pop, rap and electronic... the modern simple world wants that and it is what it is.
You make a good point. You don't even need a band to record anymore, most of the music can be done on a computer, vocals get "altered and cleaned up", and then the whole thing get's uploaded. Nobody buys physical recordings anymore everything is downloaded or streamed. I can see the utility of it, but the heart and soul just isn't there for me.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10161.00
      12-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #13
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
You make a good point. You don't even need a band to record anymore, most of the music can be done on a computer, vocals get "altered and cleaned up", and then the whole thing get's uploaded. Nobody buys physical recordings anymore everything is downloaded or streamed. I can see the utility of it, but the heart and soul just isn't there for me.
unfortunately heart and soul is missing in everything these days including cars... i think sooner or later we will need a modern renaissance because otherwise we will become appliances too
      12-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #14
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
unfortunately heart and soul is missing in everything these days including cars... i think sooner or later we will need a modern renaissance because otherwise we will become appliances too
Yup. Try to buy anything that isn't bluetooth/wifi enabled anymore. I just want something that was built by craftsman that is good quality and will last.

Get off of my lawn.
Appreciate 2
ASAP10161.00
HFW0035696.50
      12-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #15
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

That is why 70% of my music listening is all EIGHTIES with 10% House, 10% Reggae, 10% Salsa.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #16
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

While we're on the subject.. .

Appreciate 1
DocL1930.00