BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Question Living in San Francisco?

Well I visited the Bay area this last weekend and I'm considering moving there for a bit, for work. I know half of you guys live in Cali, so whats a good area in the Bay? I don't want to live directly downtown but somewhere close. PM me if you have something for sale or just post what the realistic expense should be.
Thanks in advance,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 03:00 AM   #2
fobunited
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2011 550i

Well the San Francisco Bay Area has a train system called BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) that can get you into the city in about an hour or less from most parts of the Bay Area. The glaring exception is San Jose, although there have been talks of a BART extension going to San Jose for YEARS.

BART is a great system, but it's gotten a bit dirty and you don't want to ride BART through certain stops after a certain hour. If that's something you can put up with, however, then there are many great places to live. One obvious question is, what is your price point?

If you do decide to live in San Francisco, there is quite a range of places to live and price points. If you decide to live in the Sunset District, you'll be further away from most of the high paying jobs and the "City," but you'll probably find a place a little more affordable. If you're into the nightlife and want to actually live IN the city, then SOMA (South of Market) and North Beach areas would be awesome, but expect to pay quite a bit of money.

I personally grew up in Fremont which is a beautiful city about a 45 minute drive from San Francisco. It has a BART Station that will take you straight into the city, and is also about 20-30 minutes from San Jose. Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 03:07 AM   #3
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

I live in San Jose. About 45 minutes away from SF depending on traffic. Love it

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 03:13 AM   #4
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

I live in Redwood City, which is midway between SF and SJ (35 minute drive both ways). I love it here. Weather is great, lots of trees, nice cars, rich people, etc. Also, both 280 and 101 freeways are available to get you to SF. 101 is a shorter route, but 280 has less traffic and much greater scenery.
Although when it comes to going out, I drive to SF to chill. Redwood City is a residential area that has little nightlife to offer.
East Bay has its good areas, but if you are going to drive to SF, you'll have to take the bridge and pay a pricey $4 toll over Bay Bridge + frequent traffic jams
IMO, the area between San Mateo and Mountain View is the best for living. If you prefer short commute, consider Daly City, cuz housing prices are lower than in SF, although weather is total crap 300 days a year.
Appreciate 0