BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #1211
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
That's not you. That person is way too young.
Also - that person has a full head of hair and is dressed reasonably well for his environment.

You can't fool BP OT Tonka, you should know better!
Appreciate 2
Mr Tonka6058.00
      02-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #1212
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
Unless you're a mercenary in a persistently hostile environment I don't understand the obsession with speed training and preparing for obscure scenarios - like karate chopping a man with your left hand, hip firing 2 rounds at point blank range with your right hand and then shoving your pistol in his face in under 2 seconds.

Wouldn't you think that most scenarios involve a conversation/confrontation and using your weapon as you understand the situation escalating? Even if you can draw and fire in under 1 sec - can you make the decision to use deadly force as quickly?
Its all about training, and training is fun. A clean fast draw is part of it, just like cutting a good light, or a faster lap time, or whatever you do in golf, this just has the potential to have a practical application.

Good trainers would tell you that your decision to go to guns has been made long before you are ever in a confrontation, if you have to process the information in a gun fight its already too late. You have your 'if - thens' and really if your situational awareness is on point you should be able to avoid almost all confrontations.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      02-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #1213
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
A whole 1k rounds? I doubled that in under a year on my sa. Not much of a fan of the commanders or whatever with shorter barrel. 1911 should be govt.
Commanders are 4 1/4" barrel on a full sized frame. Generally accepted as being as reliable as 5" the little ones can be a bit more temperamental.

My poorly lit, and dirty EDC
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #1214
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
A whole 1k rounds? I doubled that in under a year on my sa. Not much of a fan of the commanders or whatever with shorter barrel. 1911 should be govt.
The Kimber was my carry gun. Not going to carry a full size around. Plus, I only shoot my handguns a handful of times per year. On the contrary, I shoot a few thousand rounds of 12ga every year. Shooting a moving target is more fun than poking a bunch of holes in a piece of paper.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #1215
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
Finished my last gun case. Used an electric kitchen knife to cut the foam. It's not perfect, but everything fits pretty well so I'm happy with it. Added red Plasti-dip first, then added the Triple J Armory stencil and went over it with black. The stencil lifted at the bottom during painting, but I think it turned out ok for my first try. I'll consider it a battle worn look.

Outside of the case:
Axius4202.00
      02-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #1216
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Told you i was like lighting!

For some reason this one came out unfocused. Sorry for the vertical format but i didn't record with the intent to post it.

That's not you. That person is way too young.
Ok, I suppose I deserve that. :
Dang3r12508.50
      02-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #1217
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
The Kimber was my carry gun. Not going to carry a full size around. Plus, I only shoot my handguns a handful of times per year. On the contrary, I shoot a few thousand rounds of 12ga every year. Shooting a moving target is more fun than poking a bunch of holes in a piece of paper.
Yeah find full size isn't bad at all to carry. Shotgun is fun. Usually i yell you better run motherfucker before I start shooting so have a moving target.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #1218
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Commanders are 4 1/4" barrel on a full sized frame. Generally accepted as being as reliable as 5" the little ones can be a bit more temperamental.

My poorly lit, and dirty EDC
Looks good.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #1219
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is a very accurate statement. I probably have damn near 1k rounds through my Kimber and it's still very tight. If you have a Kimber or Springfield 1911 with a 3" barrel, do yourself a favor and buy the 1911 ultratool. Works so much better than that little shit wire they give you with the gun.

http://1911ultratool.com/Home
My Nighthawk 1911 required no break in and has never experiences a failure of any kind. My sig 1911 is a different story requiring warranty work. But Sig's CS is great.
      02-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #1220
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
go to a range where you can move while poking holes in paper.
      02-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #1221
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
Finished my last gun case. Used an electric kitchen knife to cut the foam. It's not perfect, but everything fits pretty well so I'm happy with it. Added red Plasti-dip first, then added the Triple J Armory stencil and went over it with black. The stencil lifted at the bottom during painting, but I think it turned out ok for my first try. I'll consider it a battle worn look.
This looks great! Nice job.
Quote:
Yeah find full size isn't bad at all to carry. Shotgun is fun. Usually i yell you better run motherfucker before I start shooting so have a moving target.
My next purchase will be either a Kimber Warrior or a Sig P226 Legion. I like full sized guns for range duty. My Glock 26 is an awesome carry gun but it's not a very comfortable gun for range duty. I should probably just pick up a Glock 19 or 17 for the range since they're cheap.
Quote:
My Nighthawk 1911 required no break in and has never experiences a failure of any kind. My sig 1911 is a different story requiring warranty work. But Sig's CS is great.
I don't think Kimber and Nighthawk are comparable. The workmanship of the Nighthawks are simply amazing. Not a fan of the Sig 1911s. It has an external extractor which deviates from the original 1911 design. Just looks odd to me. I really enjoy my Kimber but I have found it to be unreliable. Hence why it sits in the safe while I carry the Glock now.
Quote:
go to a range where you can move while poking holes in paper.
I wish there was one around me! I've looked for something like that or a place where you can ran a "3 gun" style course and can't find anything. Maybe I need to look again or with a club or something.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #1222
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This looks great! Nice job.

My next purchase will be either a Kimber Warrior or a Sig P226 Legion. I like full sized guns for range duty. My Glock 26 is an awesome carry gun but it's not a very comfortable gun for range duty. I should probably just pick up a Glock 19 or 17 for the range since they're cheap.

I don't think Kimber and Nighthawk are comparable. The workmanship of the Nighthawks are simply amazing. Not a fan of the Sig 1911s. It has an external extractor which deviates from the original 1911 design. Just looks odd to me. I really enjoy my Kimber but I have found it to be unreliable. Hence why it sits in the safe while I carry the Glock now.

I wish there was one around me! I've looked for something like that or a place where you can ran a "3 gun" style course and can't find anything. Maybe I need to look again or with a club or something.
Best bet is to find a gun club. Also check with your local ranges to see if they do some type of action shooting classes during the week. A range right around the corner from my office does one of those every Tuesday night. They have 3 shooting bays and close one of them off for this class. $20 for an hour of action shooting... moving, reloading, targets in specific order with specific round count per target. Good fun.

Here is a pic of the NHC.

Joekerr7929.00
      02-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #1223
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I pick what works best for me the mold my attire and gear around it rather than let that limit my choice. Almost all my pistols are full sized. Cz75, sa 1911 loaded and browning hp see most time as edc. Tend to have slimmer frames then other things also which is more of an issue anyway for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #1224
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Best bet is to find a gun club. Also check with your local ranges to see if they do some type of action shooting classes during the week. A range right around the corner from my office does one of those every Tuesday night. They have 3 shooting bays and close one of them off for this class. $20 for an hour of action shooting... moving, reloading, targets in specific order with specific round count per target. Good fun.

I'll take a look and see what I can find.

That is a beautiful 1911. Damn thing looks too nice to shoot. I'm jelly.
Appreciate 2
Mr Tonka6058.00
Joekerr7929.00
      02-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #1225
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll take a look and see what I can find.

That is a beautiful 1911. Damn thing looks too nice to shoot. I'm jelly.
Thanks.

Ordered it all blacked out, no logos or markings on the slide. Just a small NHC on the frame next to the S#.

It is very nice to shoot. The difference is quite noticeable between it an other pistols i've shot.
      02-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #1226
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Pretty nice sir, I would bang it up in short order.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      02-24-2017, 12:00 PM   #1227
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

I'm looking into buying one of these. Found a new one at a pretty good price. figured i would go with a 45 over 9mm.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/custom-ii-two-tone-a
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #1228
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
what's your budget?

springfield is a very good place to start.

If it's in the budget i think the springfield TRP is very good value for the money, the dan wesson valor is right there too.

if you are looking to go more 'basic' i would go springfield or colt. Any of the custom shops will work on them, not so with all makers. I have a bunch of 1911s, i am sad to say that my colt xse is the 'loosest' one in my collection.
Thank you! My budget is around 800-1k but I'm willing to spend a little more if necessary. It looks like the Springfield is right in that sweet spot. Gonna see if the LA Gun Club has it for rental. I wanna try it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
1911 is a terrific weapon. You do get what you pay for. They suck to clean. They like to be wet. Very accurate and great stopping power. Colt and Springfield are good base models. Kimber is good bang for buck. Then higher end ones are reaaly good but they tend to be very tight tolerances and need breaking in. Hope this helps.
Thank you! That was very helpful!
Quote:

Sweet Jesus that's beautiful.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      02-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #1229
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks.

Ordered it all blacked out, no logos or markings on the slide. Just a small NHC on the frame next to the S#.

It is very nice to shoot. The difference is quite noticeable between it an other pistols i've shot.
I want my next 1911 to be blacked out. Love the look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post
I'm looking into buying one of these. Found a new one at a pretty good price. figured i would go with a 45 over 9mm.

My current Kimber is a two tone. I really liked it when I first bought it but now I'm kind of over it. Would rather it be one solid color.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/master-carry-ultra
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      02-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #1230
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post

Quote:
I want my next 1911 to be blacked out. Love the look.

My current Kimber is a two tone. I really liked it when I first bought it but now I'm kind of over it. Would rather it be one solid color.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/master-carry-ultra
I went with this - love it. Shoots better than I can...least I'm pretty certain it is operator error on my part. I'm nowhere near my American counterparts in accuracy, but unlike Moddie, I can hit the broad side of a barn. The reason for that is because unlike him, I won't be aiming for it. Anything I'm aiming for is totally safe from harm.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/stainless-raptor-ii-45acp
Appreciate 2
Mr Tonka6058.00
mookie45770.00
      02-24-2017, 01:11 PM   #1231
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I think I might be in love with an inanimate object. If I'm ever down your way, you know I'm going to PM you now to see it in person (and maybe...maybe get to shoot it??)
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      02-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #1232
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

+1 on Springfield 1911's

Tonka, that Nighthawk is gorgeous. My dad has a similar one, it's fantastic to shoot.