BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Photoshoot of your car - would you pay for one?

Title is pretty self-explanatory;

Given we're enthusiasts here, how many of you would pay to have a professional, on-location photoshoot of your car(s)?

And, how much?

Realistically thinking of offering this as a service and figured, if this community isn't up for it, likely "the masses" would be even less so.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Good question-

I really want to do in SoCal with the m6, but I want to do one of those cool rooftop sessions with an "overlooking the city" backdrop, but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Any photogs on here want to quote me/set something up? I also pay in booze and pizza.
      06-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Since there are plenty of people with DSLR skills these days, I bet you know someone who can do this for free.

For example, here is one I did for a guy with an Grand Cherokee last weekend:

Appreciate 2
      06-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

I don't believe in paying for them but I have had a professional photographer who is a member on the forum do one for me voluntarily when he came to my city (I did a behind-the-scenes video) and a lot of work went into it. It was a very cool experience.
I think some guy just building up their portfolio charge about $100 but I think you could find someone learning would do it for free if your car is nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

For a car photo shoot, I don't think it's very likely. I mean, for someone to shoot a wedding or a large event like that, I can see why it's necessary, but like stated above, there are so many people that shoot with DSLR's these days that most people can find a friend that will do it for free.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #6
HoustonRider
big pimpin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC and 2015 4 GC

its no different than the 100+ people who are "pros" who buy a $500 camera and set up a Groupon offer for an "on site" photo shoot with CD and all the images, copyright, etc for $49.

People pay for the sit fee then the images (copyright additional), inclusive, location specific, portfolio history, etc.

Price always depends on who you are, what you have done and what someone is willing to pay.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Ok...so maybe I should be asking then is "who here has a DSLR, lives in SoCal and wants to let me borrow it in exchange for alcohol"

Feel free to PM if you fit the bill
      06-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

No, that's what Instagram is for.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #9
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504
No, that's what Instagram is for.
Nah, no one on my IG has one. I would know if one did since IG is primarily used as a highlight reel of what you have and others don't.
      06-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
ddk632
United_States
Rep

The responses are in line with my thoughts; I am currently the friend who does it for free anyway just because I enjoy it.

I also am aware that there is a vast difference in skill levels, and also that, for the most part, no one really gives a shit about that when free is on the table.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #11
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

I want to do one but would never pay someone to do one.

You will be surprised how many people you know are photographers as a hobby.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #12
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
Nah, no one on my IG has one. I would know if one did since IG is primarily used as a highlight reel of what you have and others don't.
Which is were the M6 belongs lol
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #13
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper
Quote:
Which is were the M6 belongs lol
LOL they won't know what's comin!!!

One day picture of my dog, the next, a work picture in a recording studio- then BAAM. M6.

Try to top that with your bullshit engagement ring suckersss!
      06-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #14
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i didn't read any replies before this post so my opinion would not be skewed in anyway.

i personally would pay but not a lot because i believe that i could post in one of my local forums and since the guys and gals there are pretty cool they would likely do it for free.

i could throw the person a few ($50-$100) for doing it or just buy lunch and beer. i'm sure it would be a nice little day for both of us.

the problem with that is now there's some expectations on someone doing you a favor. you owe them or they are expected to deliver and some times that doesn't workout for both parties.

that is the reason i wouldn't mind paying a professional but it would have to be very affordable and expectations would be very high.

i think the idea is doable but i don't think it's something you can get rich off of.
      06-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #15
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Thanks gtron -- I think your mindset is in the minority (and for the record I am of similar mindset, would rather pay a pro for something than have a friendship sour over failed expectations in some sort of business-related deal, even if it's a favor) and it would not be worth doing (for me) for $100. I suspect that what it would be worth for me is not what most anyone would pay ($300-$400).

I've been in process of setting up a fine art photography site and stuff, to sell prints (mostly landscape and cityscape), do art shows, etc. I was considering splitting off the automotive version of that, but instead I'll include some automotive fine art prints for sale that are my own vision, with the understanding this type of thing is not that desirable overall compared with landscapes.

Was thinking this might be a quick way to make some extra fun money while doing something I love anyway but, hey honestly I wouldn't pay someone to do it. I just don't think most people are that into their cars. Hell people even cheap out on their wedding photography most of the time (having no idea the difference between real pros and a friend with a DSLR) and that's practically one of the most important days of their lives....

And as noted, everyone and their grandma has a DSLR; I do believe my work is quality enough to be paid for, but that has nothing to do with the market.

Will probably stick with the prints route.

And yeah not looking to get rich. I'm already rich - I have bacon in my life.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #16
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

You really do take some incredible pictures, I take notice in the photography threads. There's quite a few of you guys on here that take astounding photographs of buildings, nature, people, etc. that I would consider worthy of going up on canvas to be hung in someones house.

Now THAT, I could see people spending some good money on. I think the value for a beautiful shot on canvas that can be displayed would be more desirable than someone looking to pay for shots of their car.

In fact, I wouldn't mind a nice large canvas of a stunning shot that I can hang above my new fireplace...., just saying.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #17
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post

Given we're enthusiasts here, how many of you would pay to have a professional, on-location photoshoot of your car(s)?

And, how much?

Realistically thinking of offering this as a service and figured, if this community isn't up for it, likely "the masses" would be even less so.

Thoughts?
No, but my reasoning is different than most others. As P1et says, most people have a DSLR these days and the cameras are getting so good that most beginners can get a decent image. In their eyes it's fanfuckingtastic and if their skills grow, they'll look back on those images and realize the mistakes they made or how it's not the quality they thought it was. So to many, the image quality is relative to their abilities.

But the reason i wouldn't do it is because of location. P1et is a good example. Image quality, exposure, color balance, lighting, all great. But the back drops suck. The top image is nice, but the phone/power poles and phone/power lines are the first thing most people gravitate to and back to because they stick out in front of the lovely colored, somewhat overblown sky. All the images are nice, but the locations do the imagery no justice.

So if you had a portfolio of a few cars in certain locations that were awe inspiring while seeming to be lighted by magic and could tell me that you can recreate that image with my car, i would be more interested. Location is key and the most time consuming part of photography. Finding and experimenting with different locations is what really sets apart a pro photogs images from the rest of us with decent to great camera and post processing skills. Having a portfolio, having a meeting with a client, creating the expectations, all point to a successful photoshoot and even better, a satisfied client. So find a way to incorporate what you have to offer that's over an above what most people (especially on forums) have in mind when you say photoshoot. Most people envision the images P1et posted as a photoshoot end result. No offense to P1et, but those aren't images i would pay for. Not because they're bad, but i can go out this afternoon and produce very similar images on my own.

I spent a whole day with my first DSLR and M3 and got at the time what i thought were awesome images. Now, i see that most of them are mediocre at best. If i were to spend a day doing that again, i'd invest several hours of thought, and visit those locations for test shots and lighting evaluation before making a day of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Since there are plenty of people with DSLR skills these days, I bet you know someone who can do this for free.

No disrespect with the above comments. Just pointing out that with better back drops, your images would go form very nice to standing out from the rest of us who have those types of places as back drops.

To me, this is an example of a pay worthy photoshoot result.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 06-03-2015 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #18
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post

And, how much?

Thoughts?
No, but my reasoning is different than most others. As P1et says, most people have a DSLR these days and the cameras are getting so good that most beginners can get a decent image. In their eyes it's fanfuckingtastic and if their skills grow, they'll look back on those images and realize the mistakes they made or how it's not the quality they thought it was. So to many, the image quality is relative to their abilities.

But the reason i wouldn't do it is because of location. P1et is a good example. Image quality, exposure, color balance, lighting, all great. But the back drops suck. The top image is nice, but the phone/power poles and phone/power lines are the first thing most people gravitate to and back to because they stick out infant of the lovely colored, somewhat overblown sky. All the images are nice, but the locations do the imagery no justice.

So if you had a portfolio of a few cars in certain locations that were awe inspiring while seeming to be lighted by magic and could tell me that you can recreate that image with my car, i would be more interested. Location is key and the most time consuming part of photography. Finding and experimenting with different locations is what really sets apart a pro photogs images from the rest of us with decent to great camera and post processing skills.

I spent a whole day with my first DSLR and M3 and got at the time what i thought were awesome images. Now, i see that most of them are mediocre at best. If i were to spend a day doing that again, i'd invest several hours of thought, and visit those locations for test shots and lighting evaluation before making a day of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post

No disrespect with the above comments. Just pointing out that with better back drops, your images would go form very nice to standing out from the rest of us who have those types of places as back drops.

To me, this is an example of a pay worthy photoshoot result.

Damn you talented photogs all living in FL!

are there ANY talented SoCal photogs around these forums?!
      06-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #19
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Mr. Tonka, I agree with you 100%.

For me on location is all about a beautiful backdrop, not a street (unless it has a city skyline behind it, there are some beautiful exceptions out there) or a fence or trash cans, etc.

Billup, thanks for the compliments, brother. We will have to talk about that print for you, hehe. I will definitely post here when I get my site up.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #20
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Whats your username. I want to follow you.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #21
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Btw for anyone interested to see my work ( I know a lot of you have ) come and like my FB page:

http://www.facebook.com/photosbydmitriy

I mostly post landscapes there, but if you look through the photo albums there is one for automotive.

</shameless-plug>

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #22
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632
Btw for anyone interested to see my work ( I know a lot of you have ) come and like my FB page:

http://www.facebook.com/photosbydmitriy

I mostly post landscapes there, but if you look through the photo albums there is one for automotive.

&lt;/shameless-plug>

Dude you are talented!! Let me know next time you're in Carlsbad! Maybe we can work out a deal