BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-20-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Anyone have experience in New/used motorcycle and power sports sales?

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about making a huge career change in the next couple days and wanted some input from you all. I'm currently a restaurant manger making slightly over 50k a year. This business has been breaking me down the past couple years and I don't have much time with my family(wife and 6year old son).

This opportunity will have me working in the longest running powesports dealer in my area with the highest sales and biggest inventory. I'll be working 6 days a week but the hours will Be better and I'll gain an extra 11 hours of family time a week. So shorter shifts and finally off on sat nights and sundays and I'll actually have off for holidays. I'm also not happy where I'm at now but I'm afraid I won't make the same amount of money.

This is my first base+commission type job and I have been told by mangers and salesmen that hitting 50k a year is not a stretch but I might fall short the first year. Does anyone have any experience in this industry and what would you in this situation? I feel I have limited opportunities going forward for progression in my current field and I'll end up being 50 years old and still working shit hours because it's the nature of the beast in the restaurant biz. On the other hand I feel gaining the sales experience will provide me with more opportunities down the line for better jobs.

Please help as I am stressing hard on this decision. I'm 26 and feel that if I'm gonna take chances now is the time but I also don't wanna go to this job and end up losing everything because it was a bust. Can you really make 50k plus a year in this job in the right market?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 07:02 AM   #2
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

My whole thing about powersport sales, most people are walking in there already knowing what they want, being a salesman is just pencil pushing the paperwork. With that being said, you're relying solely on product demand, and I don't know how many people are going out and spending big bucks on things like that.

Although, my buddy just left his job as a restaurant manager for a Greek Fiesta because of the exact same situation you're in. He's now just taking his time looking for another management style role but more geared towards a bakery or something less high strung. Previously he was a car salesmen, but went to restaurant management because the pay was obviously more consistent and predictable.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Many decades ago I worked at a huge dealer in Fairfax right out of college. Almost every line available.

It was fun. I had a great time and learned a bunch.

Like how when your sales guy goes back to check that price with the manager it was just to BS a bit to make you sweat.

Like how I made way more money selling honda lawnmowers on a saturday morning than motorcycles during the week. (The trick was Honda were always a one pull easy start mower....The guy would lean in and I'd stop him and have his wife do it. Vroooom Started right up after I showed her how to use a pull start correctly....of course the guy thought...well shit if my wife can start it maybe she can mow the lawn and off it went.) I'l sell 6-8 every weekend once grass was growing.

That being said vehicle sales on a low margin product was not and will never be a big money maker for anyone.

Grateful for what I learned but wouldn't go back except as maybe a retirement job just for kicks.

Do the math. How much do I earn on a bike, how many bikes do I need to sell to do that.....and ask them....how many bikes did you sell last year?

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

They said selling six bikes a week is on the low end for a salesmen, and at an average of 100$ commission per bike + base salary of 300 is still 900 a week. Less then I'm making now but again that's on the low end.

They said they have salesmen selling north of 15 bikes a week during busy season and making 55% of yearly income in those months and the rest coming from the sale of dirt bikes, quads, side by sides and the like.

I would also be able to make extra money from some other small parameters they set out.

So for some numbers:

Base salary $300 week*
Bike commission: 60-140$
buying a used bike for dealer: $10
Warranties: $25-30 each
Also the spiff wich would could be a little or a lot to move certain product: 50-1000+

Sales of 60-100 bikes a month amongst 3 1/2 sales people and then also the sales of the other products (atvs,sxs,dirt bikes, 3wheel, and PWC)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
wntrsnowg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Selling cars would be a more stable source of income. If the market goes into a recession, toys are the first luxury to be dropped. That being said, maybe this job is a good opportunity to get your foot in the door and gain sales experience that you could take elsewhere
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #6
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrsnowg View Post
Selling cars would be a more stable source of income. If the market goes into a recession, toys are the first luxury to be dropped. That being said, maybe this job is a good opportunity to get your foot in the door and gain sales experience that you could take elsewhere
I agree but people usually stop eating out too so I'm screwed regardless. The upside also is that powesport sales is doing really well right now. If it starts to tank in 3 years I can always go somewhere greener.

I think I should point out also that a very high number of the workforce at this new job have all been there for 10+ years with a decent amount at 20+.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memaxndapickel View Post
Thanks for the replies.

They said selling six bikes a week is on the low end for a salesmen, and at an average of 100$ commission per bike + base salary of 300 is still 900 a week. Less then I'm making now but again that's on the low end.

They said they have salesmen selling north of 15 bikes a week during busy season and making 55% of yearly income in those months and the rest coming from the sale of dirt bikes, quads, side by sides and the like.

I would also be able to make extra money from some other small parameters they set out.

So for some numbers:

Base salary $300 week*
Bike commission: 60-140$
buying a used bike for dealer: $10
Warranties: $25-30 each
Also the spiff wich would could be a little or a lot to move certain product: 50-1000+

Sales of 60-100 bikes a month amongst 3 1/2 sales people and then also the sales of the other products (atvs,sxs,dirt bikes, 3wheel, and PWC)
Those numbers don't look appealing at all.......surely car sales would be more profitable at the right dealer.
Is this a busy shop or not?.....it may be more/less profitable considering that.
GL op
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #8
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Those numbers don't look appealing at all.......surely car sales would be more profitable at the right dealer.
Is this a busy shop or not?.....it may be more/less profitable considering that.
GL op
It seems like an insignificant amount until you start to do the math:

Base 300 week x a median 100 per sale (just for bikes used not including new and the other power sport options) with a low end of 6 bikes a week would still be 900$ a week. And they have guys selling 15+ bikes a week during the busy months.

I need to pull at least 900 a week to pay my bills and sustain my lifestyle. But I'm also working better hours and have more time with my family.....that's gotta be worth something too right? Quality of life and all. Not to mention getting out of the dam restaurant biz. The potential for growth seems better in sales also. I'm kinda at the top of the chain right now in my job with some room to go up but also sacrificing a lot more quality of life.....idk man I need to give an answer by tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Any salesmen wanna chime in....really could use more info from prior sales guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
Many decades ago I worked at a huge dealer in Fairfax right out of college. Almost every line available.

It was fun. I had a great time and learned a bunch.

Like how when your sales guy goes back to check that price with the manager it was just to BS a bit to make you sweat.

Like how I made way more money selling honda lawnmowers on a saturday morning than motorcycles during the week. (The trick was Honda were always a one pull easy start mower....The guy would lean in and I'd stop him and have his wife do it. Vroooom Started right up after I showed her how to use a pull start correctly....of course the guy thought...well shit if my wife can start it maybe she can mow the lawn and off it went.) I'l sell 6-8 every weekend once grass was growing.

That being said vehicle sales on a low margin product was not and will never be a big money maker for anyone.

Grateful for what I learned but wouldn't go back except as maybe a retirement job just for kicks.

Do the math. How much do I earn on a bike, how many bikes do I need to sell to do that.....and ask them....how many bikes did you sell last year?
Was this Coleman's?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

I never been behind the scenes of a power sports/motorcycle shop. But being around the environment for years, one observation I've made. At many of the dealerships, there seems to be a lot of turnover with sales people (this also include the mechanics). The only place I haven't seen the turnover issues is at the Ducati dealer where I bought my bike from.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #12
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I never been behind the scenes of a power sports/motorcycle shop. But being around the environment for years, one observation I've made. At many of the dealerships, there seems to be a lot of turnover with sales people (this also include the mechanics). The only place I haven't seen the turnover issues is at the Ducati dealer where I bought my bike from.
That's what I always thought too. idk if they just got lucky with employees because everyone at this dealer has been employed by them for a long time( most people 10+ years) or if the money is actually just that good. I really don't know....

This has been racking my brain...alls I know is I gotta get outta the restaurant biz into something more family friendly. I was hoping this was the out.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #13
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Was this Coleman's?
Yup! 1988 or so.

Had lots of GB500's, Hawk's and Transalp's that would not sell.

Look at them now!!!

Bought my first old BMW there and a Hawk 650 brand new.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's what I always thought too. idk if they just got lucky with employees because everyone at this dealer has been employed by them for a long time( most people 10+ years) or if the money is actually just that good. I really don't know....

This has been racking my brain...alls I know is I gotta get outta the restaurant biz into something more family friendly. I was hoping this was the out.
I say if you have a passion for it, then go for it. While I was going through college, I worked summers and breaks as a waiter. So I feel your pain. Coming out of college during the 92 recession, I had trouble finding a professional job. I thought about going back to waiting tables but couldn't get myself to do it. I ended up taking on temp positions that were given to my by a temporary staffing service. It was ok for a while. I even got one of my temporary assignments offer me a full time position. But I couldn't see myself being an office admin with a 4 year engineering degree along with my computer skills. So I passed on it. One day I decided to see what jobs were out there at the local community college job center. I found a listing for an intern position to assist in scientific research. It was only for the summer and didn't pay all that much. Long story short, they were a bit skeptical if I would take the job seriously as I was "over qualified" in their mind for the candidate they were looking for. But they gave me the job because I told them I had to do something technical or my head would explode doing mindless office work. Because I did so well working with the staff, they hired me full time just as the position was about to end.

So the moral of the story is if this is something you'll be passionate about, you'll find a way to succeed and make it work.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
Yup! 1988 or so.

Had lots of GB500's, Hawk's and Transalp's that would not sell.

Look at them now!!!

Bought my first old BMW there and a Hawk 650 brand new.
Cool. Yeah, you gave enough of a description where I immediately knew which dealership you were talking about. I haven't been back there in about 3 or 4 years now. But the place is absolutely huge. And them having another store in Hoodbridge....I mean Woodbridge.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #16
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Quote:
GL op
It seems like an insignificant amount until you start to do the math:

Base 300 week x a median 100 per sale (just for bikes used not including new and the other power sport options) with a low end of 6 bikes a week would still be 900$ a week. And they have guys selling 15+ bikes a week during the busy months.

I need to pull at least 900 a week to pay my bills and sustain my lifestyle. But I'm also working better hours and have more time with my family.....that's gotta be worth something too right? Quality of life and all. Not to mention getting out of the dam restaurant biz. The potential for growth seems better in sales also. I'm kinda at the top of the chain right now in my job with some room to go up but also sacrificing a lot more quality of life.....idk man I need to give an answer by tomorrow.
Well it sounds like you have been satisfied with the income possibility,what kind of hours are the other salespeople that are performing doing......fine this out first because the grass always looks greener in the mind but reality can be much crueler.
GL op
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 10:18 PM   #17
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well it sounds like you have been satisfied with the income possibility,what kind of hours are the other salespeople that are performing doing......fine this out first because the grass always looks greener in the mind but reality can be much crueler.
GL op
Thanks for the insight.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #18
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So today's they day... ill keep you guys posted on what I choose.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1136.50
      04-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #19
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I could not decide on what to do and spoke with the owner to come in on Monday and make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #20
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Go for it. It's clear in your posts that you want to do it. My one word of caution is you keep throwing out "9 on the low end. 15 in busy months". I guarantee that 9 low end is also busy months. Slow months you are looking at 3 or so. So prepare for that. Consider average (all year) numbers instead of what's happening during the hot season, which, by the way, is basically spring and summer.

Also, you didn't mention t, so I'm assuming you don't ride. This will put you at a disadvantage because your credibility is going to be less than sales guys who do ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #21
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
Go for it. It's clear in your posts that you want to do it. My one word of caution is you keep throwing out "9 on the low end. 15 in busy months". I guarantee that 9 low end is also busy months. Slow months you are looking at 3 or so. So prepare for that. Consider average (all year) numbers instead of what's happening during the hot season, which, by the way, is basically spring and summer.

Also, you didn't mention t, so I'm assuming you don't ride. This will put you at a disadvantage because your credibility is going to be less than sales guys who do ride.
Thanks for chiming in! Yeah I really do wanna do it, I'm just scared of the change and the uncertainty of $$$$. I want a better quality of life with my wife and son. It's gonna be nice to actually see one of his football/sports games for once on Sundays. Being home earlier in the week (8 or 5) instead of 11pm when he's already sleeping.

Btw I do ride also. Have my motorcycle endorsement on my license. I've owned a couple bikes and have had dirt bikes since I was a kid. This IS a passion for me as well. I love all things with an engine and I think I'll be really good at sales.

I think I'm gonna go for it. Everyone is telling me to try while I'm still young.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 11:15 PM   #22
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Sounds like you need to find different hours - clearly you do not want to be working like you are right now, missing time w/family. However this new gig seems sketchy as all get out, so perhaps a bit more forethought about what it is you want to do. The numbers don't quite match, and look like you're going to be riding the margin of acceptability, even if you do well; and why is it that the shop that is so cool they keep their sales staff for forever, is needing to hire somebody [you] out of the blue, with no prior experience? Working on commission is a particular kind of uncertainty that you may also want to consider - for some a thrill, for others a constant gnawing angst.
Appreciate 0