BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #45
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
I have the LG Signature OLED and the XBR.

The XBR is a fantastic tv if you haven't seen the OLED LG produces.

Both excellent TVs. If budget allows, no question OLED all the way.
You may be aware the SONY A1E is an LG panel with SONY processing hardware and software. That is why the A1E is the hottest display in the industry this year. SONY's processing is highly respected, as is LG's OLED panels.

OLED and LCD both have drawbacks. Even when price is no object; it is a mistake to claim one is clearly superior to the other.
      05-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #46
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

What's the cheapest anybody has seen on a 65" OLED so far?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #47
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Not sure why that person would believe full-screen brightness isn't a real-world issue. Any snow or ice sports fan would surely disagree, but this also plays a factor with any bright scene. Besides- I am pointing out a real-world example right here!
Articles like this is exactly why I do my own testing.

Oh look, I just did what you did with a Google search.

Your little "real world" experiment failed my test (I can also tell the brightness is turned way down on that OLED). Brighter does not always equal better. You posted an EXCELLENT example of why. The terrain on the LED is almost completely washed out. It's actually defined on the OLED. Black levels are more important, anyway, and unless you've got the highest end LED TV with the full-array local dimming feature, you aren't even going to get close. And at the cost level for one of those LED's with HDR and Quantum dot, you're right at an OLED.

Regardless, neither of the aforementioned TV's are in the price range the OP specified, hence why I insisted he save his money and buy and OLED. You won't get the quality of LED near that of an OLED for $1K.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #48
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
damn there's a lot of self righteous motha fockers in here on some tv shiit lol.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2017, 04:05 AM   #49
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Get a plasma.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 05:52 AM   #50
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I replaced my 70" 1080p Vizio after it started getting stuck pixels outside warranty. I sold it to someone who was more than happy with the picture but I could see the dots and it bugged me every movie I watched. Since it was an unplanned purchase, I got a 70" 4K KU6300. It's the low end of Samsung's uhd line but I am very happy with the picture quality after calibration. I purchased a HW-K950 Atmos soundbar with it which was a nice upgrade to my old 5.1 soundbar. I use an Nvidia Shield TV and PS4 Pro with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #51
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Get a plasma.
Hard to do when nobody makes them...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #52
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Quote:
Not sure why that person would believe full-screen brightness isn't a real-world issue. Any snow or ice sports fan would surely disagree, but this also plays a factor with any bright scene. Besides- I am pointing out a real-world example right here!
Articles like this is exactly why I do my own testing.
[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...924/A0PHTc.jpg[/IMG]

Oh look, I just did what you did with a Google search.

Your little "real world" experiment failed my test (I can also tell the brightness is turned way down on that OLED). Brighter does not always equal better. You posted an EXCELLENT example of why. The terrain on the LED is almost completely washed out. It's actually defined on the OLED. Black levels are more important, anyway, and unless you've got the highest end LED TV with the full-array local dimming feature, you aren't even going to get close. And at the cost level for one of those LED's with HDR and Quantum dot, you're right at an OLED.

Regardless, neither of the aforementioned TV's are in the price range the OP specified, hence why I insisted he save his money and buy and OLED. You won't get the quality of LED near that of an OLED for $1K.
Well I guess if my "little test" failed YOUR test; the topic is settled. Chalk up another win for the keyboard commandos!
      05-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #53
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

I'll get an OLED when my Pioneer Elite Plasma dies.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #54
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Well I guess if my "little test" failed YOUR test; the topic is settled. Chalk up another win for the keyboard commandos!
yeah you've clearly been bettered. i mean this guy came up with a picture from a manufacturer! Let's ignore the fact that they're trying to sell the new technology.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #55
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
yeah you've clearly been bettered. i mean this guy came up with a picture from a manufacturer! Let's ignore the fact that they're trying to sell the new technology.
Neither of you got the point of my post. Let's ignore the fact that he thinks the same settings on two different types of panels = a good comparison.

Tell you what, I'll grab my Samsung LED and throw it beside my Samsung Plasma (since they can be "set the same") and take a picture.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #56
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Neither of you got the point of my post. Let's ignore the fact that he thinks the same settings on two different types of panels = a good comparison.

Tell you what, I'll grab my Samsung LED and throw it beside my Samsung Plasma (since they can be "set the same") and take a picture.
As someone that does professionally calibrate their displays, it would be (will be?) interesting to see both sets side-by-side after calibration. This would show the true potential of these sets.

That being said- The vast majority of buyers of even these high-end sets do not ever get them professionally calibrated. For this reason it is arguably a better comparison to compare the out-of-box performance using an untouched video preset. In effect this is a comparison of how these TVs would be delivered to a new owner. It is odd to NOT think this is a good comparison!

My favorite part of your post is how you "can tell the brightness is turned down on the OLED." Classic expert Internet analysis!
      05-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #57
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As someone that does professionally calibrate their displays, it would be (will be?) interesting to see both sets side-by-side after calibration. This would show the true potential of these sets.

That being said- The vast majority of buyers of even these high-end sets do not ever get them professionally calibrated. For this reason it is arguably a better comparison to compare the out-of-box performance using an untouched video preset. In effect this is a comparison of how these TVs would be delivered to a new owner. It is odd to NOT think this is a good comparison!

My favorite part of your post is how you "can tell the brightness is turned down on the OLED." Classic expert Internet analysis!
I'm feeling ambitious so I just walked over and took a pic. I'm sure this will do nothing to convince an expert like you but I thought I'd go through the motions.
Attached Images

05-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #58
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
stupid question, but are there any tvs out now WITHOUT the stupid "Smart" TV software?

All i want is a display to hook up to my receiver. why is that so difficult?
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #59
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
stupid question, but are there any tvs out now WITHOUT the stupid "Smart" TV software?

All i want is a display to hook up to my receiver. why is that so difficult?
No. Especially because everything is UHD/4K now. Owning a UHD Blu-Ray Disc player is very rare. Most people's source for UHD is streaming from internal apps.

All you really have to do is not use the smart tv functionality. You can go further and not even connect the display to your network. I know a lot of high-end integrators do the above when all they want is a dumb display.

You could use a commercial display but that is kind of like choosing a Crown Macro Tech amplifier to use with a set of B&W 801s. You'd be lacking polish and finesse.
      05-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #60
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm feeling ambitious so I just walked over and took a pic. I'm sure this will do nothing to convince an expert like you but I thought I'd go through the motions.
What's your point? The picture quality is still better on the OLED. Brightness isn't everything and the LED looks washed out. The same settings on different types of panels will not yield a good comparison. Pretty sure I already said that. Don't quit your day job...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 04:52 AM   #61
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
What's your point? The picture quality is still better on the OLED. Brightness isn't everything and the LED looks washed out. The same settings on different types of panels will not yield a good comparison. Pretty sure I already said that. Don't quit your day job...
The point is you supposedly could tell the OLED's brightness was turned down, yet I am proving both displays have their settings at Max. You were so sure of yourself. Did you already forget?
      05-04-2017, 07:44 AM   #62
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
You could use a commercial display but that is kind of like choosing a Crown Macro Tech amplifier to use with a set of B&W 801s. You'd be lacking polish and finesse.
This^ reminds me of this...

05-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #63
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The point is you supposedly could tell the OLED's brightness was turned down, yet I am proving both displays have their settings at Max. You were so sure of yourself. Did you already forget?
Ok, you proved you can wash out the picture on a LED far easier and better than on an OLED. You got me. Enjoy your victory there as I will fully admit I was wrong.

That said, OLED is still a better TV with a better picture. I'm gonna use LG again because infinitekid2002 already accused them of not being fair. Here it is side by side, make for make, best of each:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmAe3a49EUY
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 04:27 PM   #64
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Quote:
You may be aware the SONY A1E is an LG panel with SONY processing hardware and software. That is why the A1E is the hottest display in the industry this year. SONY's processing is highly respected, as is LG's OLED panels.

OLED and LCD both have drawbacks. Even when price is no object; it is a mistake to claim one is clearly superior to the other.
The white level and black level contrast on OLED is clearly superior to the LCD. That has been proven over and over again.

The XBR is no slouch. The better picture for most uses is the OLED. No question. The only drawback is the huge uptick in price and the high repair costs if something does go wrong.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #65
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
I wish I could say Pioneer Elite Plasma 50" TV made in Japan. Bought mine back in 2005 and still looks better that those cheap one these days. I also have Samsung 46" LED UN46 series full 1080P bought this in 2012. Samsung and LG ONLY is the way to go...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #66
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
I wish I could say Pioneer Elite Plasma 50" TV made in Japan. Bought mine back in 2005 and still looks better that those cheap one these days. I also have Samsung 46" LED UN46 series full 1080P bought this in 2012. Samsung and LG ONLY is the way to go...
I made damn sure to grab the last Samsung Plasma back in 2014.
Appreciate 0