BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #67
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Since a lot of people in this thread work with Excel, I HAVE to ask this....

Who the fuck uses a vlookup and uses TRUE for the range look up field????? I have never understood why someone would use TRUE and why Excel defaults to TRUE.
I have never used True before. So I can't really answer this question.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #68
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Can I look over your shoulder since we live in the same town? lol
Only if you take me on as a summer intern
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #69
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Go get a PHD in decision science.

Those guys know how to use excel. It's incredible.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #70
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
Actually just purchased this; really need to start building up my skill set.

It's on sale for $29 (v. $100) for 12-month access:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/goskills-2
Buying this as well. Doesn't hurt to learn some more for $29.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #71
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Since a lot of people in this thread work with Excel, I HAVE to ask this....

Who the fuck uses a vlookup and uses TRUE for the range look up field????? I have never understood why someone would use TRUE and why Excel defaults to TRUE.
I think I may have used it before but can't really remember. In entertainment we have contractual terms with licensees that give us license fees based on box office performance (eg. $10M box office gives us LOW, the next tier say $50M gives us MED and $100M gives us HIGH - simplified and would be values but gotta keep it a secret! )

You do a lookup to the table with actual box office, say $45.184637M, and it'll give you the fee for the $10M tier. The lookup table has to be in either ascending (or descending I don't remember) order for this to work though or it'll give you the $50M tier as your actual performance which would be wrong since it hasn't reached it.

So basically it can be used to give values based on a tier system or a range of values associated with the lookup metric.
      02-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #72
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Writing some macros for the first time this week. So much easier than trying to figure out all the other crazy functions, IDK how to even use vlookup. Thank god I don't use excel more than 2-3 times a year.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #73
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
Thank god I don't use excel more than 2-3 times a year.
Seriously? What a rarity.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #74
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Seriously? What a rarity.
I'm a software developer. The only reason I usually touch an excel spreadsheet is because my customers (the finance department) send them to me/want me to send them one. Pretty much everything I do with data is easier to do with a DB query.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #75
Adamrt
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

You should do what I did, employ a young female assistant
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #76
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
I'm a software developer. The only reason I usually touch an excel spreadsheet is because my customers (the finance department) send them to me/want me to send them one. Pretty much everything I do with data is easier to do with a DB query.
SQL ftw.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #77
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
I think I may have used it before but can't really remember. In entertainment we have contractual terms with licensees that give us license fees based on box office performance (eg. $10M box office gives us LOW, the next tier say $50M gives us MED and $100M gives us HIGH - simplified and would be values but gotta keep it a secret! )

You do a lookup to the table with actual box office, say $45.184637M, and it'll give you the fee for the $10M tier. The lookup table has to be in either ascending (or descending I don't remember) order for this to work though or it'll give you the $50M tier as your actual performance which would be wrong since it hasn't reached it.

So basically it can be used to give values based on a tier system or a range of values associated with the lookup metric.
Holy shit that makes perfect sense.

A question I've had for years but never really cared to find an answer for has finally been answered.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2016, 11:39 AM   #78
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:

A question I've had for years but never really cared to find an answer for has finally been answered.
It's official. I'm the guru of gurus. Jp

It's pretty amazing what new things you can still learn in excel even if you are already a wizard.

I just learned and incorporated +char(code(countif(command)+X)to tell me what column to reference. Combine that with an indirect() and row() then you can reference a cell eg D14. Now you have a dynamic sum or lookup or whatever you want if the data set is moving around - no more reason to keep it in the same format in case someone fucks shit up since it always happens and people say I don't know what happened? I can always lock the stuff but then they complain. lol:

Countif to let me know how many columns have been filled.
+X to give me the correct letter as a code (don't remember the exact number but I think it's in the 80s and will give you "A")

Since it'll return back to A if the last row ended in Z you will need to concatenate and use if statements to start with an A or B and so on so that you get Y Z AA AB...AZ BA...

What a nerd.

Anyone else find it annoying when somebody copy pastes using control+V?!?!

Alt esf man lol
      02-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #79
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Yep lol. Many a shared workbook have been mysteriously ruined by this feature, since everyone claims to know what they are doing.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #80
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:

Somehow this is extremely funny.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #81
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage
Quote:
Yep lol. Many a shared workbook have been mysteriously ruined by this feature, since everyone claims to know what they are doing.
Copy control v the click on cell click on format painter click on cell.

Annoying as shit! Lol

I cringe when I see that.
      02-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #82
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:

Annoying as shit! Lol

Lol. There's always more than meets the eye with formatting. But lots of the lower level coordinators need to log their respective jobs from their work in the field in sheets that I (the BA) need to prepare for them, and no matter how often I tell them not to do it, I find it all the time and reconfigurations have to take place. Ah well.

Guess that's why I get paid more lol.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #83
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Annoying as shit! Lol

Lol. There's always more than meets the eye with formatting. But lots of the lower level coordinators need to log their respective jobs from their work in the field in sheets that I (the BA) need to prepare for them, and no matter how often I tell them not to do it, I find it all the time and reconfigurations have to take place. Ah well.

But I'm dealing with finance people doing this. That's just one fraction of the issue I love had to deal with so I'm saying bye bye. Friday is my last day.
      02-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #84
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Annoying as shit! Lol

Funny thing is it annoys Sr mgmt when you print them something and one format is off. Lol
      02-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #85
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
But I'm dealing with finance people doing this. That's just one fraction of the issue I love had to deal with so I'm saying bye bye. Friday is my last day.
Congrats and best of luck to you man!

Quote:
Funny thing is it annoys Sr mgmt when you print them something and one format is off. Lol
Lol, the same senior management who couldn't tell you the first thing about fixing the shit in the first place.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #86
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Congrats and best of luck to you man!

Quote:
Lol, the same senior management who couldn't tell you the first thing about fixing the shit in the first place.
Lol they say just do it!
      02-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #87
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

I just saw all the ctrl + v stuff, lol yeah that shit ruins my universe since I can be OCD sometimes about how things look.

One of the worst for me though, is having to incorporate heavy formatting into a macro. Some days I'd rather have someone slap me in the face with a large fish rather than have to code formatting into a macro.

Also, if someone sends me something and I open it only to be greeted with that damn message that there's links to other workbooks or anything like that, it irks me more than anything reasonably should.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #88
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
I just saw all the ctrl + v stuff, lol yeah that shit ruins my universe since I can be OCD sometimes about how things look.

One of the worst for me though, is having to incorporate heavy formatting into a macro. Some days I'd rather have someone slap me in the face with a large fish rather than have to code formatting into a macro.

Also, if someone sends me something and I open it only to be greeted with that damn message that there's links to other workbooks or anything like that, it irks me more than anything reasonably should.
You're a good man for the macro formatting. Lord knows that fries my brain like nothing else should. But dammit if it doesn't work magic for data dealings and consolidation.

I was JUST about to bring up the externally linked workbooks. Or failed updating links within the sheet.

Appreciate 0