BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #23
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Bank of America Cash Rewards

3.3% cash back on gas, 2.2% on groceries, 1.1% on everything else.

For what I purchase usually, it's not as good as the Citi Double Cash, though. I'm considering switching over.
There's a card for every purchase these days. You need to keep track of everything.

I'm getting the Citi 2% right after I finish my bonus for my AMEX Everyday. I also likely will cancel my Amex Plat unless they give me a decent retention bonus. So I'm going have to do all my spending on the Plat less the 5% categories (Freedom and Discover), so I can show give them the max spending for the retention consideration.
      08-03-2016, 06:32 PM   #24
fhaze3
GLG-20
Rep
Drives: 18 Ram 2500 Ltd,e30 M52 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Theres alot of
what you are wearing
what your house is like
who your fav girlfriend is
how much you make
how much land you own
YOU GUYZ work for the NSA or somethin?
The right type of individual can glean a frightening amount of information from public information.

Imagine if that were all housed in a central database easily referenced.

My name is not Dan.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #25
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Why do you like the Hyatt card better? or you just like Hyatt properties better? I'm thinking about getting the Hyatt card, but he bonus and benefits aren't that great. Plus, I tend to stay at Hilton and Marriott more.

The Marriott card basically pays for itself. I think it has a $75 annual fee, but every year they give you a Cat 1-5 stay which is valued at about $80-$160 depending on property. Surely, once a year, you need a seedy Courtyard Marriott at the airport to meet up and do something illegal/questionable, no?
The points are worth more with Hyatt and the hotel categories are lower. When you sign up you get 2 nights at ANY property in the world. Also, you can redeem a good property for 7-8,000 points. With Marriott, even a Courtyard room in East Side Munich is 45,000. So basically my 100k points are worth just 2 nights. Hyatt has the same annual hotel night like Marriott as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #26
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Question to all of the diamond preferred holder, is there a reason as to why you guys have them or use them aside from the price rewind? I have the card since my college days, but I have yet to use it lately.

Forevermore haunted by 2 bear pillows in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #27
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
AMEX Delta Skymiles Plat
AMEX Corporate
Capital One Visa
MasterCard Upromise - which must be the worst benefit card made.

810 to 820 credit score - Looking for something of value to me, haven't found what I'm looking for. Recommendations welcome...
      08-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #28
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Quote:
ha! you and I are the same way. My Freedom and Discover goes in and out of my wallet depending on the rewards.

The 2% Citi is a fantastic card. It blows a lot of fee cards and reward cards out of the water....I mean, 2% with no fees is as good and simple as it's going to get. The fee card needs to return well over 2% and benefits for me to even consider it these days. I'll probably get this card soon.
Citi double cash is indeed great. The second 1% usually comes in late, 1-2 cycles late, but no biggie.

I'm more impressed with Citi Costco though. 4% gas, 3% restaurants and travel, 2% at Costco. Restaurants is my largest monthly expense, so it's nice to have a 3% card that doesn't rotate.

This year's Discover calendar is great, much better than before. Last year I was actually contemplating closing it, but not anymore. And being able to apply cash back to the monthly pay out is a blast.

I'll probably end up closing the US Bank sometime soon, the UI isn't all that nice and it used to give 5% on restaurants for 2 quarters in a row after I signed up, but nowadays only gives 2% which something I can get from many other cards that I already have.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #29
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Dollar dollar bills y'all
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      08-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #30
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
The points are worth more with Hyatt and the hotel categories are lower. When you sign up you get 2 nights at ANY property in the world. Also, you can redeem a good property for 7-8,000 points. With Marriott, even a Courtyard room in East Side Munich is 45,000. So basically my 100k points are worth just 2 nights. Hyatt has the same annual hotel night like Marriott as well.
ehhh...I'm not so sure about that. You'll have to prove it with points math, b/c points not the same for both companies. When you spend $1 how many Hyatt points do you receive?

I know for sure, 10,000 Marriott points can redeem for up to a $150 night stay.

It takes $1 spend to earn 1 Marriott point, so this translates to $10,000 spend to get $150 of value back or 1.5% value/cash back , (3% value back per $1 spend for restaurant spending and 7.5% on Marriott spending).

What's the Hyatt numbers look like in that respect?

Also you can't jus t look at Courtyard Marriott Munich.... Even though it's a "Courtyard", it may be a Cat 7 hotel, so it'll take more points as the cash price of the hotel that takes 45k points could be $300 a night.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 08-03-2016 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #31
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
Citi double cash is indeed great. The second 1% usually comes in late, 1-2 cycles late, but no biggie.

I'm more impressed with Citi Costco though. 4% gas, 3% restaurants and travel, 2% at Costco. Restaurants is my largest monthly expense, so it's nice to have a 3% card that doesn't rotate.

This year's Discover calendar is great, much better than before. Last year I was actually contemplating closing it, but not anymore. And being able to apply cash back to the monthly pay out is a blast.

I'll probably end up closing the US Bank sometime soon, the UI isn't all that nice and it used to give 5% on restaurants for 2 quarters in a row after I signed up, but nowadays only gives 2% which something I can get from many other cards that I already have.
bruh, all this looked great, until I read your statement credit plan on Discover. You're doing it wrong.

The best bang for the Discover points is to get gift cards, b/c they give you bonus dollars. Some gift cards only takes $45 of Discover points (or equivalent statement credit cash) to get $50 gift card...and this is for Amazon and the likes to. So that's like stacking a bonus on top of earned cash back. Getting statement credit is the last thing you want to use your Discover points on. There's gasoline, dining, retail, grocery store GCs that all apply...
      08-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #32
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Next threads will be:

When are you going on vacation, please post dates
Where do you live
How many people live with you
What security system do you have
What brand of doors and windows do you have
How nosy are your neighbors
Have you ever called 911, how long did it take for the cops to respond
Do you own a safe
What valuable art and jewelry do you have at your house
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #33
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla View Post
Question to all of the diamond preferred holder, is there a reason as to why you guys have them or use them aside from the price rewind? I have the card since my college days, but I have yet to use it lately.
pro tip, DO NOT cancel that card. It might be your oldest credit, unless you have a bunch of more older credit cards.

My worst mistake was cancelling my college credit card, b/c credit age is the last hurdle for me to get to 800 FICO.
      08-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #34
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
pro tip, DO NOT cancel that card. It might be your oldest credit, unless you have a bunch of more older credit cards.

My worst mistake was cancelling my college credit card, b/c credit age is the last hurdle for me to get to 800 FICO.
Shit I got 815 and I still do math on my fingers.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #35
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Quote:
bruh, all this looked great, until I read your statement credit plan on Discover. You're doing it wrong.

The best bang for the Discover points is to get gift cards, b/c they give you bonus dollars. Some gift cards only takes $45 of Discover points (or equivalent statement credit cash) to get $50 gift card...and this is for Amazon and the likes to. So that's like stacking a bonus on top of earned cash back. Getting statement credit is the last thing you want to use your Discover points on. There's gasoline, dining, retail, grocery store GCs that all apply...
I actually just browsed through the gift card section and indeed the gift cards give you more for the money... Except I don't really shop/dine at any of the provided options. Except Amazon, but there's no gift card available.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #36
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

I have a Sh*t ton of cards and rotate accordingly depending on offers and rebate amounts. They get paid in full every month.

Amex blue Cash
Citi Costco (Wallet)
Chase Sapphire( Wallet)
Bofa Power Rewards
Bofa Cash Rewards
BMW Card
Discover it Card
Capital One Quicksilver
Capital One Spark business (Wallet)

I have a whole bunch of cards and never cancel them. I keep them to keep credit history and how much revolving credit I have available.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #37
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
AMEX Delta Skymiles Plat
AMEX Corporate
Capital One Visa
MasterCard Upromise - which must be the worst benefit card made.

810 to 820 credit score - Looking for something of value to me, haven't found what I'm looking for. Recommendations welcome...
If you travel a decent amount I'd recommend these.

Chase Sapphire Preferred
Starwood Prefered Amex
Citi Prestige

All have signup bonuses, transferable points, no foreign transaction fees, and bonus categories.

Chase card also lets you pool points from Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Unlimited, includes trip cancellation insurance, primary rental car insurance, and first year fee waived.

SPG Amex has the widest range of airline transfer partners, credit towards Starwood elite status, access to Sheraton lounges, and first year fee waived.

Citi Prestige offers 4th night free hotel stay, trip cancellation insurance, primary rental car insurance, $250 annual airline credit, Priority Club membership, and until next July Admirals Lounge Access.

Even with the fees from these cards, you usually make out ahead as long as you would normally benefit from the perks.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #38
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Next threads will be:

When are you going on vacation, please post dates
Where do you live
How many people live with you
What security system do you have
What brand of doors and windows do you have
How nosy are your neighbors
Have you ever called 911, how long did it take for the cops to respond
Do you own a safe
What valuable art and jewelry do you have at your house
Dont forget.. oh whats your first name
then later on oh whats your last name
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #39
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla View Post
My parents have them. They never use them if they don't have to because AMEX blue cash preferred gives better rewards across the board. The only reason they have them is because their citi diamond preferred cards come with high monthly spending limits (~$46,000/month last I checked) which helps drive down their monthly utilization ratios and therefore keeps their FICO scores high.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #40
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Chase corporate Black card
chase freedom
chase slate
capital one quicksilver
capital one something
capital one something
I think I still have a paypal cc
every store card you could think of.
      08-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #41
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Citi double cash. Best card I have ever had without question.

Also have some others, but thats the important one. I highly recommend!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #42
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The one thing that I can recommend since this is a CC thread, is do not under any circumstance use a discover or amex card overseas... just fucking dont...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #43
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:

I haven't cancelled a card. I just don't use them, and they keep raising the limit so it's a win win for me.

Forevermore haunted by 2 bear pillows in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #44
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:

There are supposed to be multiple hurdles to canceling a no fee credit card. If your credit card company was competent they should've aggressively told you not to do that. What happened?

By canceling a fee-less credit card you're basically saying "I deliberately want to:

(a) Make it more difficult to increase my FICO score every month

and

(b) Significantly decrease my FICO score in the short term"
Appreciate 0