E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > how's the automatic transmission on the new 3?

05-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

how's the automatic transmission on the new 3?

can't any info about the transmissions

anyways, how's the shifts on the auto tranny? downshifting smooth? is there limits that don't allow downshifting when too high rev etc.. ??

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The Steptronic will not allow a manual downshift that would endanger the engine.

The auto will automatically shift up for you if you're accelerating and you hit redline, even if you are manually shifting.

I think its one of the smoothest autos I've ever driven. And the sport mode is pretty aggressive compared to others as well. It held gear around a bend in a freeway at very near to 5000 RPM even after I took my foot off the throttle for a few seconds.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 01:38 AM   #3
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

So the tranny has been performing well for the the E90?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 03:02 AM   #4
en3rgie
AKA: IndieZHP on every other board
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6MT

The auto in the e90 is 10X better than the one in the e46.

The e46 was soft as hell and down shifts sucked.

I was amazed at how quick the auto was and aggresive the downshifts were.
It felt like an SMG.

Definatley the best step Ive driven.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 03:48 AM   #5
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

This new 6-speed auto gearbox is sourced from ZF and is used in many other applications (BMW 5.6.7, x5 4.4, Jaguar S, XJ,) and I say after driving the 325/330 auto, this is the best application of the 6 speed gearbox in all the cars that use it! The downshifts are really smooth and it almost feels as if the box rev matches as in a SMG box. Upshifts are not as smooth as some applications of the old 5 speed unit, but it's not a big issue. In S mode, the gearbox will hold a gear and senses the grade of the hill with minimal gear hunting.

I have a 745Li with the similar gearbox and the new 3 does a much better job with the box. My 7 gearhunts a lot and isn't as smooth to downshift.

I can almost see why BMW didn't offer SMG here in the US. In M mode, it's very responsive and quick without the harshness of SMG.

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 03:54 AM   #6
flyboy-sa
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330 ... almost

I love the auto on the E90 and I have noticed it is "learning" my driving style. For eg when I first got my 330 the gear would change around 2000 - 2500 rpm, now it goes past that and only changes at 3000rpm. I guess if a grandpa has to buy my car it will eventually start changing again at 2000-2500rpm again. Clever piece of equipment that is.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 04:21 AM   #7
collinp
Private First Class
Rep

The Steptronic is very very smooth. Having 6 gears is pretty darn cool. The sport gearing is fun and aggressive. Drive mode gives better fuel economy and is more suited to leisurely driving. Manual mode gives you control of the gears but the time between your input and the gear shift can be as long as half a second.

As with all automatics its possible to momentarily confuse the transmission. One way is by flooring it and then completely laying off the accelerator. This can cause the transmission to hang out in a high gear for quite some time. A similar thing can be caused by flooring it out of a rolling start just as it is about to drop to first. Doing this can cause the tranny to take a moment or two to recover and settle on the proper gear.

On a related note, when I first got the car I had a pretty significant hesitation when flooring it from standstill. It was almost as if the transmission would occasionally forget or be slow to shift down to first when stopping (in sport mode), only to do it as the accelerator is floored. While I can still tease this hesitation out if I try, it doesn't really happen anymore in normal use. Other people report that it goes away as well. Some speculate that the transmission learns your driving style. I think its more likely that you learn the car's style. I also think its related to break in. The engine delivers a lot more torque post break in and this probably helps alleviate the need to floor the car from standstill. The transmission probably also loosens up a bit post break in allowing it to switch faster. Anyway whatever it is it doesn't bother me anymore.

- Collin
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 07:45 AM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

thanks guys, i was starting to worry about my 325 step after reading many posts.

it's time for me to move to step after 13 years of manual on the e36 and e46.

one more week to go.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 08:29 AM   #9
swu
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

bmw's auto is one of the best out there. I tested the G35, TL and c230 before I ordered the E90, and none of these can compare to the shifting of the E90. Downshift is soooo smooth, you will notice that especially in high speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 10:59 AM   #10
itznin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by swu
bmw's auto is one of the best out there. I tested the G35, TL and c230 before I ordered the E90, and none of these can compare to the shifting of the E90. Downshift is soooo smooth, you will notice that especially in high speed.
Agreed... only thing to note is the delay in 1st great which was discussed in numerous other threads.

My delay is almost non-existant at 900 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 11:08 AM   #11
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia
thanks guys, i was starting to worry about my 325 step after reading many posts.
it's time for me to move to step after 13 years of manual on the e36 and e46.
one more week to go.
David325, you'll be happy with the change...
Back surgery forced me out of manual transmissions, but this automatic is extremely nice. You may miss the fun of a clutch and wonder what to do with your right hand, but it really works and drives well. Smooth, smart, good power use.

I too did notice it was a little soft at first, but at 1000miles now, it runs great. Sport mode is very aggressive. I had the Audi A4 with Sport package and this step seems light years ahead of the Audi tiptronic.
      07-22-2005, 04:27 PM   #12
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

thanks petercat
sorry to learn about your back issues. trusting all went well with your surgery.

l had a laminectomy about 15.5 years ago, so i know all about backs!!!!

i thoight that by 2005, bmw would have their auto trannies so efficient, that it would work really well with the new 6's.

can't wait.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 06:39 PM   #13
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

After my last post, I had to go for a spin to check it out. After paying very close attention to the shift points, I must say it is great.

The upshifts are smooth and quick. The downshifts are smooth and right on time. I'm very happy with the steptronic. I've bumped it to "manual" a couple times and the shifts are quick, quicker than both my A4 and 911 tiptronics were. I rarely drive in sport mode though, maybe someone has a better perspective on the step in sportmode?

BTW, thanks for the concern, I was fused from L3-S1. Was a big deal at the time, but now back to normal. Still will not be able to drive a stick on a daily basis. I'm thinking the SMG may be the right direction when they come out with the M3.

Can't wait to see pics of your car.
      07-23-2005, 01:58 PM   #14
Armen52
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sport mode on the steptronic is excellent if you are maneuvering through traffic and you want more immediate power. Also around twisty roads DS is a must unless you're shifting manually which is even better

A few things I've noticed about driving in DS mode are:

1) It will downshift more aggressively during braking.

2) It will downshit in order to prevent the engine from going below around 2100rpm. The regular drive will allow down to almost 1500 I think.

Lastly, the hesitation that's been talked about is, in my opinion, mostly stemming from the auto starting in second gear. Its quite slow off the line in regular D mode. If you downshift to 1st manually, you will be hard pressed to find any "engine hesitation" I think.

Oh and after driving the Audi DSG the manual shifts on my Steptronic are achingly slow but there is not much I can do or complain about there. Its not a fair comparison, that's all.