BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

A.F.I.

Any fans here??? "December Underground" just came out and I have yet to buy it but I here the whole thing is good??? Any confirmations on that?? "Mrs. Murder" has been playing quite a bit on KROQ and some other song off of the ablum which I thought was good, Davey Havok's is nutz, I never known any one to have so much fluxuation in their pitch and tone.

Cool.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
diesel007
Not Stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325I

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
Yes the whole album is Sick. Buy it.

1/1/072/1/07
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2006, 11:16 PM   #3
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

that miss murder song is pretty lame in my book, really soft and popish

whatever happened to the sound from the art of drowning? days of the phoenix is a great song

I did like the rabbits are roadkill on rt 37 though

and after seeing their performance on the MTV awards they sure look gay, seems like that's the "cool" look for young people now, they all look gay
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #4
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

i hear its good. i opted for the head automatica cd instead, and im disappointed. hopefully it grows on me.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2006, 03:04 AM   #5
diesel007
Not Stock
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
that miss murder song is pretty lame in my book, really soft and popish

whatever happened to the sound from the art of drowning? days of the phoenix is a great song

I did like the rabbits are roadkill on rt 37 though

and after seeing their performance on the MTV awards they sure look gay, seems like that's the "cool" look for young people now, they all look gay
Pop is the trend, cant blame them for making music that will sell

1/1/072/1/07
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
ward
Major General
Rep

I'd sell out too, gimmie some money!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #7
diesel007
Not Stock
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd sell out too, gimmie some money!!!!!!
Haha hell yeah. Every artist who makes is big is a sell out. Thats the industry.

1/1/072/1/07
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #8
yu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Isn't the lead singer gay? Or at least bi.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2006, 10:26 AM   #9
ward
Major General
Rep

is he? I don't know but he sure looked "dramatic" and "emotional" on the stage

I like most of the music though
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
yu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I heard he is. I'm not usually into that kind of music, but it's not bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2006, 11:18 PM   #11
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuBimmer
Isn't the lead singer gay? Or at least bi.
Don't know where you heard that, but seeing that he has a rather high pitch voice and unique sense of style that can be taken as a cheap shot at his character. I'll give you a hint though, last sunday I was listening to Love Line on KROQ and he was on there along w/ Hunter and some dude called in about his g/f wanting to have a threesome, and he asked "what kind of threesome???" He said "her and another girl" he's like "ok, cool, otherwise would not have been so cool, do it!!!". Knowing he's a rockstar he's probably gotten plenty of that.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2006, 01:39 PM   #12
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
To answer the OP, yes... Decemberunderground is an absolutely amazing album. I would highly recommend it. For those unfamiliar with AFI's music, Decemberunderground or Sing The Sorrow are both good starting points for exposure to the band, and show you the musical abilities of them. The farther into their past you go, the harder the music gets.
If you preordered the album off iTunes, it also included a cover of "Jack the Ripper" by Morrisey. This is worth downloading if you can. A great song that although a cover, is a perfect close to the album.

Ward, you commented on the "pop" sound; have you listened to the whole album? Songs like Kill Caustic, and Affliction carry the hard-core tones of afi's past. Days of the Phoenix was one of the first songs to be widely received outside of the hard-core scene. They have been classified as punk, hardcore, rock, goth-rock, goth, glam-rock, alternative, and pop. Their sound is unique and grows with each album. Every album is different, but at the same time, very true to the afi style (the time-signatures and Davey's tradmark "oh". I don't think they tailor their music to "what sells". The've done their time climbing the punk ladder (been around since '91), and have amassed an almost cult-like following. The guys are older, and I'm sure if it got to the point where they were no longer happy with what they were doing/producing, they would stop.

Regarding the singer's (Davey) sexual preferance. He's said in a number of interviews that he is infact straight: All the guys are. If they weren't, would it matter? I was unaware your sexual orientation determined your abilities as a musician. As for their appearance... it's both how they are comfortable and part of their image. We all have different comfort zones, and their's just happens to be outside of the social norm. Not saying the makeup, nailpolish, and fishnets aren't a bit much; but they are performers. If you've ever seen them live, you'll know that they don't just get on stage and play; rather they make the whole evening an event.

Sorry for the long rant; just a huge fan of the band. I started listening to them in after the release of Very Proud of Ya in '96. I own each LP and all the EP's released by the band (with the exception of the UK exclusive Days of the Phoenix EP). And have seen them at least 7 or 8 times (including flying to SF to see them at Slim's on Halloween 5 years ago).
      06-12-2006, 03:49 PM   #13
toolfan
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i sedan

"sing the sorrow" is a really good album, it got a lot better the more I listened to it. Although, seeing the band, they look like a lot of rich kids who are depressed because their parents bought them white BMW's and they wanted silver. But, I still like their music.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #14
Minimaul
Oh! Snap!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328xi, e36 M3/4/5

I got December Underground. It's okay. It's not why I like AFI. If you liked Sing the Sorrow you'll like December Underground. The new album has a few songs I like: Prelude 12/21, Kill Caustic and Affliction. While the songs and album in itself is excelently made, it's not why I love AFI. December Underground is catchy, with decent songs to sing along and bob your head to with your little sister, goth littler brother and your house-mom--- Fun for the whole family! Weee!!

I'm not going to do the ole "sold out" thing - I hate that. If a band changes, they're hated and sold out. If a band stays the same, their hated for playing the same "recycled" songs (Except Iron Maiden)!

I disagree with nmulax, if you're new to AFI, start at the beggining and work your way to the most recent. IMO Black Sails in The Sunset and The Art of Drowning are the best. If you like "softer" stuff, definantly get Sing the Sorrow and December Underground. If you listen to all the albums in a row you can hear them change with each new album.

The new ablum is only 10 bucks. Wether you like it or hate it, is 10 bucks really a big deal to you? heh.

And I know nmulax already said this but, NO none of them are gay. It even says on their forum faq.

I started listening to AFI arond 99 or so. They are one of my top 5 favorite bands. The first song I ever heard by them was "God Called In Sick Today" off of Black Sails in the Sunset.

My favorite AFI songs in no particular order:
God Called in Sick Today
Malleus Maleifcacarium
The Prayer Position
The Days of the Phenoix

..... to each is own.
      06-17-2006, 01:47 AM   #15
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Just bought it yesterday. The overall tone of the CD is really dark, but I could care less since the energy is off the richter, good thing Havok has such a killer voice. Great driving music!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 01:45 PM   #16
Curt3s
In your rear view mirror making funny faces.
Rep
Drives: '06 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I'm a huge fan.

I went to a Tiny "Secret Show" here in SF about a month and half ago. Saw them saturday at BFD, atteneded a "listening party" 3 hours away to hear the album before anyone else, and went to an album signing and met each of them! And shook Davey and Jade's hand!

I have 9 copies of decemberunderground so far, it's my favorite CD ever. (I plan on giving the extra copies away to buddies I wanna get into AFI.

If you're interested in seeing accounts, pix, and videos of my AFI adventures. Check out my myspace blog (May have to dig through older entries for the Secret Show pix...which are rad)
http://www.myspace.com/decimusrutilius

'06 325i - Premium - Sport - iDrive Navigation - Bluetooth Cradle - Sparkling Graphite - Grey Interior - Aluminum Trim (GT4 330 Pictured)

"And with the amount of power he has in that BMW he is just leaving them behind right now."
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 07:06 PM   #17
Spiffy_and_Pink
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

i bought decemberunderground on the first day. loves it! <3
      06-17-2006, 10:12 PM   #18
06330i
fresher den you
Poland
Rep